Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii Black Screen, not even BootMii comes up

Posted by angelXwind 
Wii Black Screen, not even BootMii comes up
June 18, 2010 11:39PM
As stupid as this may seem, my Wii has been getting black screens, even with BootMii (as boot2). It just turns on, then refuses to do anything else (except when there's a disc in the drive, then it flashes a few times).

It all started when I decided to update to 4.2, it decided to randomly implode and spit out a Code Dump.

Yes, I have a backup of my NAND, which would only help if BootMii could come up.
It has not been involved with any piracy, just HBC and BootMii.

Is it possible that the NAND had corrupted during the installation?
Re: Wii Black Screen, not even BootMii comes up
June 19, 2010 12:01AM
When you updated to 4.2, Bootmii was removed. Did the brick occur immediately after the update, or have you made any changes after updating that may have caused it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2010 12:02AM by jbc007.
June 19, 2010 12:09AM
It had occurred immediately after the update.
June 19, 2010 12:27AM
angelXwind
It had occurred immediately after the update.

Nintendo should fix it for you for free, since the brick was directly caused by the 4.2 update
June 19, 2010 12:29AM
Note that the Homebrew Channel and DVDx is still there, and the last time I checked, they don't fix Wiis (for free) with any sort of homebrew on it.
June 19, 2010 01:08AM
When a wii is fully bricked, it is very difficult to determine what is installed on it. Nintendo will not know that you have homebrew. Just tell them that the brick was caused by the update, and they will probably fix it for free.

The only alternative it to use a hardware NAND programmer to manually install Bootmii/boot2, and then restore your working NAND backup. Restoring your current NAND backup with a hardware NAND programmer would not work, as this would downgrade boot2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2010 01:11AM by jbc007.
June 21, 2010 02:15AM
Something I found out:

If you boot the Wii without a disc in it, the blue LED flashes 2~3 times, which means BootMii is installed, just not functioning? (or did the updater implode while boot2 was being installed)
June 21, 2010 04:45AM
Then it seems the update failed without updating boot2, as odd as that is. Put the bootmii folder on an SD card that is compatible with Bootmii, put it in the wii and Bootmii should load. Be sure that the configuration file in the bootmii folder is not set to autoboot the Homebrew Channel or the system menu and that the video mode is compatible with your TV.
June 21, 2010 07:19PM
It's simply not working at all, my bootmii.ini looks like this (I commented out the AUTOBOOT variable):

# BootMii config file

# Video mode, possible settings:
# NTSC, PAL50, PAL60, PROGRESSIVE
VIDEO=NTSC

# Autoboot, possible settings:
# SYSMENU, HBC
# AUTOBOOT=HBC
July 29, 2010 03:56PM
[removed idiotic post]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2010 04:04PM by SifJar.
July 29, 2010 04:05PM
WiiHax: Uh, no. Updating doesn't brick you in anyway. And Nintendo won't do ANYTHING (for free or paid) if you have homebrew installed according to most reports.
September 21, 2010 11:11PM
Nintendo doesn't check for HB if it don't boot right away or if its a simple fix (if its bricked nintendo will just use their magic disc they wont be bother to check for HB). Or so i've heard.
September 21, 2010 11:17PM
oldtopman
Nintendo doesn't check for HB if it don't boot right away or if its a simple fix (if its bricked nintendo will just use their magic disc they wont be bother to check for HB). Or so i've heard.

You heard wrong. And whats more, you're starting to annoy me with your incessant posting of pointless or inaccurate crap in dozens of threads. Unless you have something valuable to contribute, keep your misinformation and "obligatory links" to yourself. I apologize if this seems mean, but its what separates us from GBAFail and the like, with their rumours and scaremongering and silly links.
September 22, 2010 10:21PM
SifJar
I apologize if this seems mean, but its what separates us from GBAFail and the like, with their rumours and scaremongering and silly links.

LOL @ scaremongering... yikes! *hides from SifJar's wrath*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2010 10:21PM by Magil.
September 22, 2010 11:33PM
I guess I never updated this post, but I sent it to Nintendo, they sent me back an older Wii than the one I had. (with 4.3 firmware on it, as expected). I successfully re-hacked it, and all that, and so far, I don't think Nintendo's figured out that there was even homebrew on it.

And I've always heard about Nintendo refusing to repair Wiis with any type of homebrew installed on it that they can recognize/find, such as IOS0, cIOS, and things like that. And they apparently use some repair disc to do it for them. Obviously my Wii is inaccessible, as it doesn't even get past boot2, though I was worried that they would recognize the BootMii LED flash indicator, and reject the Wii.

tl;dr: The Wii was fixed, everything works, end of story. (and the Wii I got was older than the one I sent in) Got it back several months ago. =P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2010 11:33PM by angelXwind.
September 23, 2010 01:00AM
SifJar
...you're starting to annoy me with your incessant posting of pointless or inaccurate crap in dozens of threads...
I am not ready. I shall go back into lurking. I apologize.
September 23, 2010 06:24PM
Don't lurk too much, come out of the shadows every now and again ;) Just try to keep your posts accurate and useful.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login