Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No video output from the Wii

Posted by Andronian 
No video output from the Wii
June 25, 2010 05:03PM
Hey all, my Wii just suddenly decided it didn't want to display any video anymore. I can hear the sound of the Wii Menu, so I know it's not a "true" brick.

I did recently update to 4.3, which was probably a terrible idea. However, after the update, the Wii worked through a few reboots. I checked the shop channel, turned it off, turned it back on, and played some Wiiware titles. It worked until I woke up one day and it simply had no video.

I already tried hooking it up using a known working RCA cable, but no luck. If anyone has any ideas, your help or recommendation is greatly appreciated.
Re: No video output from the Wii
June 25, 2010 05:30PM
My sister's Nintendo 64 had the same problem. I tried almost everything I could think of, and determined the video output was fried. It died the same way your Wii did (She switched from Mario Kart 64 to Pokemon Puzzle League, and the system stopped working). Since your Wii would most likely have had homebrew (hence the reason why you're probably in the forum), you have no option but to either call Nintendo for a do-it-yourself troubleshooting (politely decline any requests to send the system in), or get a new Wii and lose any titles you downloaded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2010 05:34PM by Mestizo.
June 25, 2010 05:34PM
Yeah, and then I was wondering about the possibility of being able to get those Wiiware titles downloaded onto a different system. We're toying with the idea of just buying a new Wii (those black ones look pretty slick), but then I'd run into the problem of losing all my save data. I mean, I want a functional Wii, but I wonder if there's a way to simply copy the Wii's hard drive.

This is probably a very difficult task considering I can't see what I'm doing.
June 25, 2010 05:39PM
Don't transfer yet. Try toying around with the yellow cord in the video socket. Take it to some place you know would try to test it out (GameStop, Best Buy, Sears, etc) and see if they can find a solution. If you can get the system's video to show, then there's nothing to worry about.

Most people who updated to 4.3 with Homebrew have not encountered any ills like this. My guess is it was some remaining homebrew code from something (an artificially-installed WAD, a system menu skin, etc). If you have not done any of those, I'd still call Nintendo and report it. Decline a hardware repair (they'll most likely replace the system, like they did with my DS, after both screens went completely white and the touch screen was unresponsive).

Possible solutions:
Plug the Wii in a different slot/TV (if applicable)
Buy an RF modulator/adapter (Gamestop sells an adapter that plugs into Gamecube, Wii, PS2, PS3, and 360 all at once for like around $15)
Switch to component cables.
Eject any games/SD cards and boot in Maintenance Mode (Hold + and - when booting up the system)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2010 05:53PM by Mestizo.
June 25, 2010 09:40PM
Well since you've updated to 4.3, that means you don't have any homebrew, so you probably could send it to Nintendo for them to fix it or send you a new one.
June 25, 2010 10:02PM
bg4545
Well since you've updated to 4.3, that means you don't have any homebrew, so you probably could send it to Nintendo for them to fix it or send you a new one.

If he ran a disk through a loader, like GeckoOS, it would show in the play log as "Homebrew Channel". They see that, instant warranty void and instant return of unit.
June 25, 2010 10:04PM
Mestizo
If he ran a disk through a loader, like GeckoOS, it would show in the play log as "Homebrew Channel". They see that, instant warranty void and instant return of unit.
Are they really going to look at that though? Besides, the Wii is on 4.3, so there's no homebrew on it right now.
June 25, 2010 10:23PM
bg4545
Mestizo
Are they really going to look at that though? Besides, the Wii is on 4.3, so there's no homebrew on it right now.

If it shows up on the playlog, that means it was on there in the past. I believe, even if all traces are removed, it still would qualify.
June 25, 2010 11:03PM
I highly doubt they'll look through the play logs.. Seems like a waste of time since most Wii's don't have homebrew.
June 25, 2010 11:35PM
To answer the questions, I used to have homebrew installed on it. I uninstalled the HBC recently because I didn't use it too much, but never did anything with the BootMii or whatever might still be there in the background. I'd rather see if some local shop can fix it first before sending it off to Ninty.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login