Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WC24 title booting: can fix certain bricks

Posted by yellowstar 
WC24 title booting: can fix certain bricks
June 29, 2010 08:56AM
WC24 title booting can fix certain bricks, see the brick page. libwc24 wc24app v1.1 needs to be run to install the boot mail entry and to enable the WC24 title boot flag, before the brick occurs. The sysmenu needs to be able to still shutdown to idle/"standby" mode.
Re: WC24 title booting: can fix certain bricks
June 29, 2010 12:34PM
OK, I don't completely understand all that stuff, but does this mean that semi-bricked Wiis can be sent a message when they are in StandBy mode which makes them boot any title, e.g. HBC? If so, nice work.
June 29, 2010 04:57PM
SifJar
OK, I don't completely understand all that stuff, but does this mean that semi-bricked Wiis can be sent a message when they are in StandBy mode which makes them boot any title, e.g. HBC? If so, nice work.
Yes, but you need to run wc24app to install the boot mail entry and enable WC24 title booting before the brick occurs. Yeah, thanks.
June 29, 2010 05:20PM
And is wc24app something you run on the Wii, or on a computer to send the mail?

Also, I got the impression from what I read at the link given in the first post that the boot mail entry is removed on start up or something? Does that mean you need to install the boot mail entry just before you brick your Wii? Or did I miss-read that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2010 05:20PM by SifJar.
June 29, 2010 09:03PM
wc24app is the test Wii app included with libwc24. You only need to install the boot entry once, before the brick occurs. And you need to enable the WC24 title boot flag with wc24app before the brick occurs. That flag is never changed by Nintendo software after the mail config files are created.
July 25, 2010 04:34PM
Hmm an interesting and very nice work indeed. But too much preparations needed thinking the bricks it can fix... It can only fix bricks where System Menu is intact.

@yellowstar : Some questions for you,
1. To send that title booting message you need to register at least one internet mail in your wii I guess?
2. What would you be booting out of wc24 to recover the wii? Homebrew Channel I guess...
3. So you are actually modifying the tmd of Homebrew Channel to enable the title boot flag? Does it pass new Homebrew Channel's tests again modification of it's tmd?
July 26, 2010 11:08PM
I.R.on
Hmm an interesting and very nice work indeed. But too much preparations needed thinking the bricks it can fix... It can only fix bricks where System Menu is intact.

1. To send that title booting message you need to register at least one internet mail in your wii I guess?
2. What would you be booting out of wc24 to recover the wii? Homebrew Channel I guess...
3. So you are actually modifying the tmd of Homebrew Channel to enable the title boot flag? Does it pass new Homebrew Channel's tests again modification of it's tmd?

Sysmenu does this title boot stuff long before the warning screen is displayed, this can fix banner bricks, etc.

1) That would be a WC24 nwc24dl.bin entry, not a friend on msg board.

2) Anything on NAND including HBC, no discs.

3) No. The flag is stored in nwc24msg.cfg.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2010 11:11PM by yellowstar.
July 26, 2010 11:15PM
yellowstar
I.R.on

1) So user doesn't need to do anything to turn on protection except running an app?
2) I see a best candidate would be HBC though, maybe an additional hidden channel in case of lost HBC. It can be more than one title I guess.
3) That's better...

Thanks for the anwsers btw
July 27, 2010 02:27AM
I.R.on
yellowstar
I.R.on

1) So user doesn't need to do anything to turn on protection except running an app?
2) I see a best candidate would be HBC though, maybe an additional hidden channel in case of lost HBC. It can be more than one title I guess.
3) That's better...

Thanks for the anwsers btw

1) Yeah basically.
2) Yeah, my boot mail boots HBC but it can be adjusted to boot any NAND title.
July 31, 2010 04:14AM
I.R.on
yellowstar
I.R.on

2)
My hidden NAND title wc24boottitle can be used with WC24 title booting, as well as HBC too. When used with WC24 title booting, this can be used to boot homebrew from SD via WC24, and to run game discs as well. When WC24 title booting is used with my title, when the Wii downloads and processes the boot mail in idle mode, the Wii wakes itself up(turns itself "on") which boots sysmenu, which boots wc24boottitle. Wc24boottitle then boots homebrew on SD(when launchcode is 1), path specified by the NANDBOOTINFO argument. When launchcode is 2, the game disc is loaded here.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login