Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MIOS or BC needs repairing

Posted by kozuki6 
MIOS or BC needs repairing
July 12, 2010 09:06AM
It seems that, somewhere along the line, my Wii's Gamecube compatibility has been damaged (but not destroyed) at either the firmware or the hardware level. It plays all GC games fine, bar one (The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures, which comes up with a disc read error immediately before the opening cinematic). I hypothesise that the problem may have something to do with the fact that the one exception heavily uses the GBA-GC link cable (see link for details), and that the part of the Wii (either its hardware or firmware) that handles this peripheral has been damaged.

Hence, I'm looking for a way to repair the Wii's MIOS and/or BC, in case that these problems relate to a firmware, rather than a hardware, issue. What options are available for doing this?

Actually, while we're at it, are there any methods available for re-installing boot2 if it's already been updated to v4?

For completion, I've listed below the history of my Wii, with things that may have led to it being damaged.

Purchased Wii at Australian Launch

Wii was dropped from a height of about one-and-a-half feet onto timber flooring while in use (brother walked into GC controller cable while I was playing). It seemed that no damage had been done, as all its functions worked just fine.

Wii was modchipped for the sole purpose of playing imported games; modchip was subsequently physically removed upon the release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl (as the chip didn't support dual layer discs).

After the chip was removed, the Wii would act a little funny (loud noise made by rotating disc; occasional game crash). Took the Wii apart, cleaned the lens, re-inserted all the key wires I could find and adjusted the plastic disc that holds game discs in place in the drive. After this, the Wii seemed as good as new.

While the Wii was chipped, firmware updates were always allowed. If a disc had an update for the wrong region (e.g. my genuine copy of Super Paper Mario was NTSC-U), the correct region's update would first be downloaded, then the wrong-region update would be allowed. This left some duplicate News and Weather channels on the Wii, but did not have any other visible negative impact (i.e. the Wii was not bricked or semi-bricked, etc.).

Datel's Preloader disc was used after the modchip was removed to allow imported games to continue to run. It worked fine. It was used to do some sort of invisible partial installation of at least one system menu update (perhaps System Menu 3.2?) that stopped the disc from being blocked yet still allowed the game to run without again prompting for a System Menu update.

Updated to System Menu 4.0 through Nintendo to allow use of SD cards for VC games. With the Preloader disc not working any more, installed the Homebrew Channel and used Gecko OS to run games. Whenever a new Wii game wouldn't run with the current version of Gecko OS, I would go onto Wiibrew and download the next revision, which seemed to work just fine.

Installed BootMii as boot2. Then realised that I had no use for it (I wasn't getting into any sort of NAND hacks and I didn't have a supported SD card for backing up the NAND anyway) and uninstalled it.

Updated to System Menu 4.1 using Red Steel 2 on-disc update after first upgrading HBC using the HackMii Installer v0.6.

Updated to System Menu 4.2 using Super Mario Galaxy 2's on-disc update.

Originally imported Four Swords Adventures (NTSC-U), with the belief that either Gecko OS 1.9.3.1 or GCBooter 1.0 would be able to get it running. Neither worked, simply generating (at best) disc read errors.

Installed BootMii as IOS.

Used DOP-Mii to install a bugged IOS36 (I think) which I then used to install Priiloader v0.4. Tried to use Priiloader's GC region-free hack to get the game running through the Disc Channel. It worked even worse that Gecko OS and GCBooter (blank screen, Wii showing no signs of life).

Used DOP-Mii to downgrade MIOS and BC to their lowest versions and attempted the load the game again with Gecko OS, GCBooter and Priiloader (one at a time). None of them worked. Repeated with MIOS and BC at their highest versions; still didn't work. Resored IOS36 to it's official version; still didn't work.

Re-installed bugged IOS36 and uninstalled Priiloader. Restored IOS36 and removed BootMii. Attempted to play a PAL version of the same game (which I had subsequently bought) and got the same result (disc read error) with the Disc Channel, GCBooter and Gecko OS.

Cleaned the Wii's lens and got the same result. Attempted to lower the resistance on the Wii's laser (by adjusting the laser pot), but found that my screwdriver couldn't get any traction on the variable resistor (apparently, it's the wrong shape).

Other Gamecube and Wii games still play fine - it's just this one game that definitely should, but doesn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2010 04:32AM by kozuki6.
Re: MIOS or BC needs repairing
July 16, 2010 05:53PM
Are you sure that your disk isn't damaged? I think that might be the problem.
August 06, 2010 11:29AM
if you disk is fine use dop mii to reinstall you appropriate system menu
September 23, 2010 12:43AM
I I though that (excepting the korean wiis) if you installed out-of-region sysmenus, you would get some sort of a brick? I suppose not.
September 23, 2010 01:58AM
oldtopman
I I though that (excepting the korean wiis) if you installed out-of-region sysmenus, you would get some sort of a brick? I suppose not.
WTF does that have to do with this thread? You are really on thin ice here.
But to answer your question (I think), if you install a System Menu for another region (including Korean) you will get a semi-brick. You cannot access your System Settings when you have a semi-brick and you run the risk of it turning to a full brick.
September 23, 2010 03:57AM
1) The semi brick is easily avoided
2) Korean wiis are bricked by installing 4.2+ E/U/J. Again, this can be easily prevented.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login