Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

wii acts strangely with 4.x

Posted by Kipter 
wii acts strangely with 4.x
September 21, 2010 08:10PM
Hello, it's my first post here :D

Skip to the horizontal line for the short version or continue for the papyrus-long version xD

after my launch-day wii "died a horrible death" (my ex girlfriend took it and never gave it back), i decided to buy another wii, so last week i bought a wii equipped with a balance board (and wiifit of course), 2 wiimote and 2 nunchucks for just 50€.

All this for just 50€? reading the description i found it was "broken".

I thought "if i can't repair it i can still sell the accessories ad get all my money back" and i accepted.

Once the wii was at my home i found it had a D2B drive with an original wiikey soldered (it even still had a pirated copy of Okami inside), and it had the old boot1.
I turned the system on and the only thing i could see was che sequence usually seen when exiting a title, repeated in and endless loop. So i knew how it was "broken".

First thing i did, was to try to take Reset pressed at boot time: success! I discovered it had Preloader 0.29 installed!
It had Usb Loader GX as "installed file" and there it was an old version of the Homebrew Channel installed (the one with tha HAXX title id)

I ran the Hackmii Installer and installed the latest version of HBC and BootMii, and dumped the NAND: now i was able to experiment with it.

Using DOP-Mii i reinstalled the system menu (v418, the same i found installed) and reboot the system: i got the error the system files are corrupted.

By the way, it had waninkoko's cIOS installed and i updated it thinking it could come handy.

Thinking it was a banner brick i extracted wads from the oldest game i had (metroid prime 3 corruption) using WUFE and wiped everything up with Red Squirrel's AnyTitle Deleter MOD. I left inside only IOSes 249, 60 (sysmenu IOS) and 61 (HBC IOS), the HBC itself, european EULA and region selector.

With a wad manager i managed to install all the updates i found inside Metroid, an rebooted: wii was up and running, and it had sysmenu 2.1 installed! I tried it briefly (original pal gc/wii games, original gc ntsc game and even that crappy pirate okami ran without any issue, so the drivechip and the drive itself are good).

Then i decided to update to system menu 4.3, but i was afraid of losing bootmii/boot2, so i manually updated every system channel and IOS to the latest non-stub version and finally installed system menu 4.3 and rebooted:

since then, a few seconds after sysmenu appears, the wii freezes with an annoying noise (curiously, the "built-in" usb loader gx had the same problem).

Reverting back to sysmenu 3.3, everything works flawlessly, the problem manifests only with sysmenu from 4.0 through 4.3.

with every sysmenu up to 3.3 works without any problem (i haven't tested 3.4 yet, i'll try when i'm back home).

Long story short, my wii freezes with every 4.x sysmenu, but it does not in maintenance mode (+ and + pressed at startup).

Following the savemii troubleshooting flowchart, it's a corrupt-title problem, but... the only titles left were hbc, eula, region selector, sysmenu and respective IOSes, plus cIOS 249 (i tried even removing cIOS, but it didn't solve the problem).

When at home i'll try with sysmenu 3.4 just for my own curiosity, and then i'll try with AnyRegion Changer to reinstall PAL region. Next step will be a NAND formatter + FS rebuilder (are there tools dangerous for bootmii? do they erase it?).

Or should i update to sysmenu 4.3 using official updater? if it freezes anyway, and given i'll be able to boot in maintenance mode, is it possible to reinstall it as boot2?

PS: i just want to play my original and imported games and play homebrews, i don't give a fuck about piracy, wads, usb loading (altought it may be handy to avoid switching between discs) or other crappy things.

EDIT: grammar

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2010 08:21PM by Kipter.
Re: wii acts strangely with 4.x
September 21, 2010 08:59PM
The only thing that will remove Bootmii is the boot2 update, so it is completely safe to use essentially any homebrew application for any purpose (including NAND formatter and such). However, you should not perform the official update for this reason.

Since maintenance mode works, it is likely that you have corrupted message board data. Perform a format through the settings and see if that fixes it.
September 21, 2010 10:17PM
the strange thing is that it happens only with 4.x, wouldn't a corrupted message board give the same problem on any sysmenu?
September 21, 2010 10:50PM
He stubbed a lot of IOS'. I believe that the normal instructions would be to use comex's nand formatter to get a clean start.
September 21, 2010 11:56PM
no, i avoided every stubbed ioses, infact i had just a few ioses installed

by the way i ran the built-in formatter, and now i have a running sysmenu 4.3 xD

thanks jbc007 xD
September 22, 2010 12:19AM
I would have expected the problem to occur on all system menus too, but I can't think of any other explanation for why maintenance mode would work. Anyway, glad you got it fixed.
September 22, 2010 12:29AM
yeah, was strange it didn't occur with any sysmenu... maybe someone more skilled than us may answer to this

btw, that was an example of how dangerous can be piracy xD
September 22, 2010 03:12AM
I am unaware of any specific cause of this problem. As far as I can tell, it happens randomly (it wouldn't be the only random sort of brick either), not necessarily because of piracy applications. If you want an example of a brick caused by piracy, take a look at this (that guy spends most of his time on a wii piracy forum, by the way).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2010 03:15AM by jbc007.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login