Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyregion Changer

Posted by Dreante 
Anyregion Changer
September 25, 2010 09:54AM
I've got a European Wii running 4.3. A couple years ago I stupidly changed the Game Region with ARC. I'm still able to play my games through Gecko, but some of the channels I downloaded through the shop hang the Wii (Super Mario World, iPlayer).

Am I stuck?
Re: Anyregion Changer
September 25, 2010 10:02AM
For now yes, but hopefully someone can update AnyRegion Changer to work on current systems..
September 25, 2010 10:03AM
No worries, I'll keep my fingers crossed! Thanks :)
September 25, 2010 11:47PM
AnyRegion Changer can change it back, but it still requires a trucha bugged IOS 36. Normally, you won't have this on 4.3. Therefore, use DOP-Mii to install IOS 36 v1042. Then run AnyRegion Changer. After this, you may optionally re-update IOS 36 (there is no benefit to doing this).
September 26, 2010 05:16PM
Wow, bg, you REALLY want this thing updated just like me.

... Back to topic, ARC NEEDS updates from it's current state.
September 29, 2010 07:49AM
Thanks jbc, I'll look into it :)
September 29, 2010 08:35AM
Found this from wiibrew.org :

wiibrew.org
can this restore the trucha bug? --Stonga 17:24, 4 September 2010 (CEST)
No.--Arikado 17:27, 4 September 2010 (CEST)

Tried it anyway - install failed, something along the lines of "Do you already have a later version installed"
September 29, 2010 09:36AM
You don't need to patch the trucha bug, you'd need to install an old version that already has it.
September 29, 2010 06:29PM
Make sure you use the latest revision of DOP-Mii (known as DOP-Mii: WiiBrew Edition). Also, you must launch it through the latest revision of the Homebrew Channel.
September 29, 2010 06:59PM
Yes, downloaded the most recent versions of both yesterday before attempting it. (Dop-Mii v14.2, Homebrew 1.0.8, IOS61 v22.30)

Okay - I'm thinking I should really have a better idea of what I'm doing here before I try to mess with anything. I've done a bunch of reading, but I've still got some questions which I'd appreciate your help with :)

1. What does IOS 36 do, and will downgrading it affect anything else (ie. I've read in several places about people unable to access homebrew after downgrading their IOS).

2. When I boot DOP-mii (I'm running it through homebrew), I get the choice of:

Which IOS would you like to use to install other IOSes?
Use IOS61 + AHBPROT
IOS: 36
Scan the Wii's internals (SysCheck)

When I tried previously to revert to 1042, I selected IOS:36 - was that correct?

Appreciate your help :)

[Edited for more detail]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2010 11:00PM by Dreante.
September 30, 2010 02:28AM
IOS 36 is used for many games, and, until recently, most homebrew. The old revisions of all IOSes (except 15 and 16) do not run on "LU64+" wiis, but it is fine to downgrade IOS on older consoles.

Downgrading contents requires that they be fakesigned. Therefore, DOP-Mii must either run on a trucha bugged IOS (if you had this, you wouldn't be using DOP-Mii in the first place), or it must use AHBPROT. Therefore, you must select use IOSxx + AHBPROT.
September 30, 2010 05:56AM
Okay, that helps.

What's the risk in doing this? Given that I can still play *most* things through Gecko (and I don't really have a lot of WW/VM games) is it worth attempting?

Also - FYI, I rechecked ARC today, and I remembered incorrectly - Game / Sysmenu / Shop are all set to 110, but I'm getting the region mismatch and region "." which I thought was associated with Trucha.

The more I'm learning, the more I'm confused...

Thanks for your patience!

C
September 30, 2010 08:00AM
Yeah, if you don't have an old (or patched) IOS then ARC will not be able to detect your region and you should definitely not modify anything if it gives you the region mismatch error
September 30, 2010 06:06PM
Dreante
What's the risk in doing this? Given that I can still play *most* things through Gecko (and I don't really have a lot of WW/VM games) is it worth attempting?

There is no risk. Provided you don't touch your system menu's IOS (IOS 80 for 4.3), if something goes wrong, it can easily be fixed.

Dreante
Also - FYI, I rechecked ARC today, and I remembered incorrectly - Game / Sysmenu / Shop are all set to 110, but I'm getting the region mismatch and region "." which I thought was associated with Trucha.

That is a bug in ARC. As long as the settings that it reports are as they should be, everything is fine. Don't worry about it.

You may as well install Bootmii/boot2 for brick protection. Though, none of this could be considered dangerous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2010 06:07PM by jbc007.
September 30, 2010 06:39PM
Awesome, thanks guys.

So I'm going to try it this evening - the only thing I'm not sure of now is why the games (UK games) won't start from the system menu when everything is set to UK. The output *is* set to NTSC, will this affect the startup at all?

[EDIT]

Hey all - just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone for all the help. Did exactly what you suggested and was able to run ARC to reset everything back to normal. Am now able to play my VC copy of Super Mario World again, and UK games run happily from the start menu. My (legit purchased!) US games also run through Gecko, so I'm now totally happy. :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2010 08:04AM by Dreante.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login