Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help - bootmii can't restore a backup

Posted by brickedwii 
Help - bootmii can't restore a backup
October 04, 2010 01:19PM
My wii has upgraded to 4.1J. One year ago, I downloaded a game from homebrew applications. When I execute the game under homebrew channel last week, system prompts "Not a Wii program" (something like that) and the system freeze there. I turned off the power and turned on immediately and a nightmare comes up. The screen shows the "health warning" picture but Wiimote can't sync with console, even I replace battery or push red bottoms both in console and wiimote. Nothing happened. I tried to restore a NAND backup from bootmii (I did the restore once and it works for me) but it seems that bootmii doesn't restore the backup. Wiimote is still not working and when I use GC controller to execute homebrew applications, such as wad manager, any title list, the system just freeze. Does anyone have the same problem and how do I resolve the problem?
Re: Help - bootmii can't restore a backup
October 04, 2010 06:09PM
You could use Comex's NAND Formatter to reformat your NAND, thereby deleting all of your data. Otherwise, I'll PM you a better option within the next day (I'm kind of busy right now).

Edit: Can you turn the wii on with the wiimote? If not, you may need to replace your bluetooth module.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2010 10:37PM by jbc007.
October 05, 2010 02:43AM
Can you boot the Homebrew Channel? If so, you probably only need to install the System Menu and its IOS.
October 05, 2010 05:15AM
jbc007
You could use Comex's NAND Formatter to reformat your NAND, thereby deleting all of your data. Otherwise, I'll PM you a better option within the next day (I'm kind of busy right now).

Edit: Can you turn the wii on with the wiimote? If not, you may need to replace your bluetooth module.

First, thanks for jbc007's and bg4545's help. The wiimote can't sync with console and can't turn on the power from wiimote. However, I can boot the Homebrew channel from bootmii and operate with GC controller. When I execute the Homebrew applications, the screen goes black. There is one thing I don't understand. I used to be successfully restore a NAND backup from bootmii and can't restore this time. Is it hardware problem or IOS problem?

Bootmii information of my Wii is as following:
BootMii V1.2
Stub V1.2
Mini V0.3
Sysmenu: 4.1J boot1b boot2v4
NANA usage: 47.0%
October 05, 2010 06:09AM
I suspect that you have a broken bluetooth module. However, before you replace it, you may want to verify that that is the problem. Try launching TinyLoad or Gecko OS from the HBC. If it works, launch a game and try to sync your wiimote. Should the wiimote fail to sync, skip the rest of this post; you need to replace your bluetooth module. If the loaders fail to load, keep reading.

Move your NAND backup off of your SD card so that you don't lose it (you may want it later). Next make another NAND backup so that you can undo your next action. Don't worry if you can't restore it at the moment; we will deal with that later.

Use NUS Downloader to download a system menu and its IOS (system menu 3.2 and IOS 30 v1040, for example) and the region select. Be sure to get the correct region of the system menu and region select. Have it pack these into WADs and put them in a folder named "wad" on the root of your SD card. Find a build of Comex's NAND formatter, and launch it from Bootmii.

Provided this installs the system menu correctly, try to sync your WiiMote. If the WiiMote fails to sync, you need to replace your bluetooth module

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2010 06:10AM by jbc007.
October 05, 2010 01:48PM
As I mentioned in previous post, the Homebrew application can't work properly. When I click the application icon, I could see the loading status bar fully loaded but screen goes black in the next second. If the Homebrew application - wad manager can't work, how do I install a new wad?
October 05, 2010 03:23PM
Comex's NAND Formatter runs through Bootmii, not the HBC. It will work. Just do what I said in the last two paragraphs of my last post, and you will be able to determine whether you need a new bluetooth module.
October 05, 2010 08:09PM
If bluetooth module were broken, there would be NO visual output from the Wii at all, so that is not the issue apparently.
October 05, 2010 08:50PM
Is it possible that the bluetooth module is not completely dead, but still cannot function normally? The fact that the health and safety screen appeared was why I did not immediately suggest replacing the bluetooth module. However, when the bluetooth module works, the wii can usually be turned on with a wiimote.
October 06, 2010 07:44PM
jbc007
Comex's NAND Formatter runs through Bootmii, not the HBC. It will work. Just do what I said in the last two paragraphs of my last post, and you will be able to determine whether you need a new bluetooth module.

Following your suggestion, I downloaded the system menu (4.1J) and IOS60 and ran the Comex's NAND formatter. The formatter automatically installed the system menu and IOS wad files. When the installation done, I got this information "You're tried to access the address marc:EU/EU/ENG/Setup/startup_index1.html ....." (I'm sorry I don't know how to put a picture in here) and the screen froze. I turned off the power and switch on the console, the same picture appeared and the system couldn't move forward. Turned off the power again and entered the maintenance mode, I saw the 4.1 (EU) on the right bottom corner for one second and disappeared. At last, I restored the original NAND backup file and the system is back but wiimote still can't sync with console. I think I have to spend money to fix it eventually.
October 07, 2010 03:49AM
The Opera error is a region issue. Make sure you have the correct region of the region select WAD in the wad folder when running Comex's NAND formatter. Also, are you sure you downloaded 4.1J? Since it appears you downloaded 4.1E.

As SifJar pointed out, the wii would not normally display anything if the bluetooth module was broken. Therefore, there is a very good chance this entirely software related.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2010 03:54AM by jbc007.
October 07, 2010 09:57AM
I did download the correct region version of system menu and IOS. I searched discussions in this forum and I found that there is a discussion about the formatter changing the system from NTSC to PAL due to a different version. Did I download an unmodified version? If so, where can I find the perfect version?
By the way, do I need to reinstall all the IOS or just reinstall one IOS with correct sysmenu (ex. IOS 60 vs. sysmenu 4.1)?
October 07, 2010 06:16PM
I'm really not sure about Comex's NAND formatter changing the region. I would guess that it would have to do with the region select WAD, but I'm not sure. You could always try installing a PAL system menu (using the PAL region select as well, of course). If it works, you can change it back to NTSC-J later. If you want to try a different build of the formatter, go ahead. However, my guess is that the one you have works fine.

As far as IOSes, you can install any of them you like with the formatter. It really doesn't matter. However, it may be easier if you install IOS 36 (preferably v1042) so that homebrew can work normally.
October 13, 2010 06:54AM
Since I prepare to have my Wii repair, I think why don't I make a experiment before I send the bricked Wii to shop. I use NAND formatter and follow you instruction. In addition to the sysmenu and the relate IOS, I reinstall cIOS249 this time. Accidentally, the Homebrew problem has been solved and no more stuck, however, the screen goes black when I turn on the power. I can still boot from bootmii and restore NAND backup but the backup file doesn't rewrite into the console. The screen is still black when I finished the restore. The wiinote is not working under homebrew channel.
October 14, 2010 01:19PM
SifJar
If bluetooth module were broken, there would be NO visual output from the Wii at all, so that is not the issue apparently.

This is wrong.

Bootmii will work with a bad bluetooth module, it will also work with bad wifi.

With either bad, you can still get into HBC via bootmii, but the Wii will not boot normally.

This sounds very much like a faulty module to me, and I repair a lot of Wiis.

Also, I released an updated version of comex's formatter that will read a setting.txt file from SD card. With this you can set your region and serial number so it works after the format.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2010 01:21PM by Bad_Ad84.
October 15, 2010 06:05AM
Bad_Ad84
SifJar
Also, I released an updated version of comex's formatter that will read a setting.txt file from SD card. With this you can set your region and serial number so it works after the format.

Could you provide the download link of NAND formatter to me?
What is the serial number? is it the machine no. attached in the outside of console?
October 15, 2010 09:14AM
nand formatter - [www.mediafire.com]
setting.txt editor/creator - [www.mediafire.com]
October 16, 2010 12:22PM
Hi Bad_Ad84,
I used the formatter your provided. It is better than the one I downloaded from other link. The formatter doesn't change the console from default setting to Europe setting. After I reinstalled sysmenu 4.1J and IOS60, the console is still bricked. The screen is black and the wiimote is not working.

I tried to use Any title lister to dump the information from wii but the application doesn't support GC controller. If there is any application can dump the NAND information to a file, could someone analyze the file and find out the reason why my wii is bricked?
October 17, 2010 12:05PM
If it doesnt work after installing everything via nand formatter, it sounds like your bluetooth module needs replacing.

a faulty bluetooth module will stop the wii from booting
October 17, 2010 07:56PM
I found an application dop-mii (v14.2) that has a system check function. I choose the first item " IOS61 + AHBPORT" and press A button for applying patches to IOS. There is one item for trucha shows "Failed". I continue the procedure and DOP-MII is stuck after checking the first two IOS (the first one is IOS 250 and the second is IOS 249). The screen shows the "Enable" of Fakesign, ES_Identify, NAND and "Disable" of Flash of the two IOS.
Is it a broken IOS stopping the application or do I loss IOS that is required by Dop-Mii?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login