Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Having trouble finding information - Wii is screwed up

Posted by thegreasefire 
Having trouble finding information - Wii is screwed up
December 05, 2010 12:45AM
I've been asking everywhere and I can't get any answers about this problem other than 'check your cables' which is obviously not the problem. I figured you guys would know more about what I can do to fix the problem. I can't find any solutions specific to my situation since I have NOT modded, or installed anything on the Wii other than what I can purchase of the official page.
I am hoping I could get help with this. I am willing to do whatever I have to as long as I know it won't screw it up further including taking the darned thing apart (which probably won't work because I think it is a botched update).
Here is the info I posted on the Nintendo website and I guess nobody wants to read that much information so it has pretty much been left ignored. I would be extremely grateful if someone could give me a solution to this. I can't understand how I haven't been able to find a way to fix this without downloading or installing anything illegal. I just want to get my Wii working again.

So, I haven't had this problem since I purchased it almost 2 years ago when it first happened and resolved itself.

Now, I moved the Wii (very carefully) from one room to another and when I plugged it in (yes it is connected properly) and powered it up I got the all too well-known BSOD. The power button is red before I power it up (was always red even before it stopped working properly) and then it turns green when I power it up. The television is getting a signal, and if there is no disc in it it keeps searching for one. The fans run, and I hear the harddrive spin up.

This is what happened the first time I powered it up after moving it. First time I got the BSOD. Then once again. Third time was the charm and it powered up fine. Then I tried to load Netflix. Stuck on a black screen. I figured maybe the wireless connection had something to do with it so I shut down the Wii and powered it back up. Worked fine. I went to check the connection and as I was testing it it told me it needed a firmware upgrade. Mind you I haven't modified my Wii in any way. I allowed it to update and the status bar hadn't gone very far at all when it said I had no need for an update and rebooted. Unfortunately, when it did that, I got another black screen. I waited a few minutes, afraid that shutting it down would corrupt files in case it had updated something, but nothing happened. So I reluctantly shut down the system. That was the last time it booted up properly.

I have tried unplugging the AC adapter from both ends in hopes to drain it as suggested but once I reconnected it in the order prescribed I still had the same problem. I tried booting it up with the television on, off, connecting it to an alternative input yet nothing.

The thing is, the green light is on, the CD drive accepts discs and the eject button works. The power button won't shut down the system and the reset button won't work either. The only way to shut it down is to hold the power button in or to unplug the console. The Wiimotes are unable to find the system and connect. Again, this happened to me the very first time I powered the system on yet it solved itself. This time it has not as I let it rest overnight in hopes something had overheated or overloaded. I have read that there is a chance the bluetooth has loosened up, or died altogether (though the latter seems a bit unlikely considering it was working a minute before). Some have said it could be a cracked motherboard which I doubt since I have not dropped it or handled it roughly. I don't want to open up the console just yet though if I have to I have no problem doing so considering it's just a simple computer.

So does anyone have any idea how I could fix it? If it turns out I have to open the console, what problems should I be looking for?

Also, I was also wondering, if the Wii is beyond repair, how do I recover the games that I have purchased which are stored on it? I do have a copy of them on my memory card, but will they run on another Wii? I surely hope I didn't spend money on the virtual store just to have wasted it when the Wii cannot be used anymore.
Ok, so it seems to be a firmware issue. I'm running version 4.3 (managed to access that information by holding down all four directional buttons on the Gamecube controller and powering it up) which unfortunately is a bad sign since I have no games (in fact I only own two very old games) that have a higher firmware version than that. Where can I download the file to upgrade the firmware? I was planning on doing it manually via SD card. Could I get a link for this file? Should it be placed in the root of the SD card or should it go in a specific folder?

So, after doing further research, it seems like there's no way to fix a faulty upgrade offline and since my Wii keeps giving me the black screen I have no way to update it online. Unless of course I am wrong and there's a way to upgrade or replace the last update somehow with an SD card. It seems odd that I wouldn't be able to update offline considering I can update my television's firmware via USB drive. It seems that the Wii is phisically fine, the bluetooth is connected, and there is no phisical damage done, so it's probably the faulty update. How can I fix this?

Also, it seems that all I can find is how to fix it after you install Homebrew or hack it, which I did not do. So why is my Wii 'bricked'?
Re: Having trouble finding information - Wii is screwed up
December 05, 2010 01:04AM
FixMii would have been a better place for this. Perhaps a mod can move it.

Anyway, I am not sure whether you are dealing with a hardware or a software issue. Can you turn the wii on with a wiimore? Also, does SaveMii/SaveMiiFrii (the method used to start the "menu" with 4.3 in the lower right corner) work every time you try it or only occasionally?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2010 01:05AM by jbc007.
December 05, 2010 01:15AM
Ok this is ridiculous. All I did was insert an SD card with a new system file on it and held down the buttons. But I didn't install a thing! It works. So who knows what happened!
December 05, 2010 01:16AM
Ok, so the wiimote did work, and I could savemii everytime. Sorry for posting here, but I was a bit in a panic after troubleshooting for a whole day. I will post if things change. Hopefully this will be the end of it.
December 05, 2010 01:41AM
thegreasefire
Ok this is ridiculous. All I did was insert an SD card with a new system file on it and held down the buttons. But I didn't install a thing! It works. So who knows what happened!

It was only coincidental. The wii can not just install arbitrary files from an SD card. With hope this will not happen again, but of course it could occur in the future.
December 05, 2010 03:39AM
Odd. I am wondering what caused it then. I was definitely locked up and other than that I didn't do anything different than before. The only thing I can think of is that maybe there was some left over charge somewhere. It's weird because I tried turning it on without the SD card in it and nothing happened, but as soon as I inserted the card and pressed the buttons as described above it booted immediately. I'm not saying that it read anything on the card, but wouldn't it have shown me the firmware information instead of booting up? Or does that only happen when it won't boot in the first place? I'll just avoid updates from now on unless I need them to run Netflix updates. I don't play games on the Wii other than a few older games.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login