Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ONE game won't work..

Posted by chrizzilla 
ONE game won't work..
December 08, 2010 07:45PM
Hello,

I have an interesting issue, methinks. I have a fairly old-ish Wii that I installed HBC on using a tutorial from Lifehacker so that I could increase load times by installing my games to a hard drive and loading them from there. evrything worked fine, I installed HBC using the Twilight hack and then the USB loader program, and began installing games. I installed Super Smash Bros as well as other games and everything was working fine. I had no problems reading Super Smash brothers before OR after I installed it on the USB HDD. It was perfect.

Now, I don't claim to play my Wii often, and it probably sat for about a year. So when I fired it up, it was no surprise to me that system updates sat waiting for me. Without thinking, I allowed my Wii to update to system 4.2, and when it was finished I noticed that the HBC and USB loader channels were gone (again, no surprise there).

So I insert Super Smash Bros. Brawl into the Wii. It spins, spins, and then nothing. The Wii says it can't read the disc. "Hmmm" I thought, and put in Metroid Prime: Corruption. everything worked perfectly, the game was recognized and loaded no problems. I put in Super Mario Galaxy, same thing: No problems loading or anything. So I did one last test and put in Super Smash Bros. Melee, and it was also recognized and loaded fine.

As I said before, I don't play my Wii often, and at this point I figured, "meh, I just want to play a few matches with my friend (on Melee) and then I'll fix my Wii." Problem is, I forgot to try and fix it :/

Fast forward to a week ago. I loaded up my Wii, having forgotten completely about it being broken, and tried loading SSBB, again, to no avail. This time, however, I tried to fix it. I looked online and found nothing about the issue except from Nintendo. I went on their site and looked and according to them, My Wii is under warranty for this issue.

I decided to try and fix it myself first. I formated my Wii (probably a stupid decision) to (hopefully) remove whatever was breaking the Wii, and try Brawl again, with no success. At this point, I had the idea to downgrade the Wii to a lower OS, but after looking around, decided that's probably not the best Idea (most stuff I found said that's a surefire way to brick a Wii).

So I got another Idea: I re-installed HBC using the BannerBomb method for 4.2, hoping that would fix it somehow, but alas, it did not.

In a last-ditch effort, I re-formatted my Wii and allowed it to update to OS4.3.

now, I have several questions:

Does anyone know why my Wii won't load SSBB and how to fix it? (I know it's dual layered and all, but it worked before!)
If not, does anyone know if Nintendo will repair my Wii if I have installed HBC but deleted it and formatted my Wii?
Re: ONE game won't work..
December 08, 2010 10:26PM
First of all, we don't support USB loaders and the fact that you want to "increase load times" is just stupid.
But anyways, the problem is the SSBB is a dual layer disc and most (if not all) older Wii's have problems with it (and other dual layer games). You only options are to get a newer disc drive yourself or have Nintendo do it. I'm pretty sure the update removed most traces of homebrew, but if you want to be sure you'll need to run the HackMii Installer to see the installer.log.
December 15, 2010 10:21AM
Try downgrading to OS 4.1. Then try loading SSBB again.

High chance it isn't a problem with the disc.

If you have downloaded a Homebrew app and used it on your wii, then no, Nintendo does not support warranty for it now and then. Read the red box on wiibrew.org (the Homebrew itself is harmless, but check out the page of an app, you will see a red box on the right. The app apparently makes permanent changes to the wii NAND.

Oh wait, then again it can be a problem with the disc. I play many US games on my wii 4.1J but one doesn't work: Cruisin'. Yeah maybe u should replace the disc if all fails.

Edit: Double post merged.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 10:31AM by bg4545.
December 15, 2010 10:30AM
I already answered this topic. It's the fact that Super Smash Bros. Brawl is a dual layer disc. Downgrading is never recommended and you really don't know what you're talking about.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 10:59AM by bg4545.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login