Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Like everyone else, I need help! Please!

Posted by roblivion 
Like everyone else, I need help! Please!
December 24, 2010 03:18AM
Hello,

I'm new to the homebrew community, and I seemed to have already messed something up. Initially it was working fine, but now it boots to a black screen.

I initially installed on 4.2U, and successfully installed the HBC, and then installed Bootmii as IOS (Boot2 wasn't available).

I then launched Bootmii and backed up my NAND.

I then installed Priiloader and followed these steps:

1 – power the wii back on…HOLD the reset button as soon as you press the power button.
2 – you will be taken into a White menu with black text
3 – press down on the wiimote until you are highlighting “Settings” (the font will be blue/purple)
4 – press “A” to go into settings once highlighted.
5 – “Light Slot on Error:” – “ON”
6 – “Background Color:” – “Black” (personal preference…easier on the eyes I think)
7 – “Show Beta Updates:” – “On”
8 – “Use Classic Hacks.ini:” – “On”
9 – select “System Menu Hacks”

Enabled
“Auto-Press “A” at Health Screen”
“Block Disc Updates”
“Block Online updates”
“Move Disc Channel”
“Remove NoCopy Save File Protection”
“Region Free EVERYTHING”
“No-Delete “HAXX, JODI, DVDX, DISC< DISK, RZDx”

then selected “Load/Install File” and installed WiiFlow

I then ran Pimp Mii Wii to make sure the IOSs were up to date and installed any of the updates it recommended, and then installed WiiFlow forwarder channel.

Somewhere in all that something broke. While it launched fine anytime a restart was required, now it goes to a black screen with 4.3U in the bottom right corner.

I'm able to get into Priiloader by holding the reset button during startup, and it will launch any game disk that is inserted in it, but as soon as I attempt to go to the system menu it goes back to the black screen.

I should mention I'm also able to get to HBC from Priiloader.

I've tried restoring my NAND, but get an error message that says
"BootMii not found, too dangerous to continue! If your SD is corrupt or restore is interrupted, you will be unable to boot to fix it. If you are SURE you want to do this, KONAMI. Otherwise press key to exit. And no buttons seem to do anything except for .

Hopefully this is enough information to help, and I apologize if I brought up any topics I shouldn't have.

Cheers,

Rob.
Re: Like everyone else, I need help! Please!
December 24, 2010 03:38AM
We don't support backup loaders (WiiFlow) and we don't support Pimp My Wii (It screws up your Wii and probably caused your problem). Run DOP-Mii: WiiBrew Edition and reinstall IOS80. This will probably fix the System Menu.
December 24, 2010 04:17AM
Thank you for the quick reply. I've DLed and installed DOP-Mii, but am unsure what to do. When I attempt to reinstall IOS80 I get an error (-2011 Signature Check, I think) and it tells me I have to run an OS that has the FakeSign (Trucha) Bug. What steps do I need to follow?
December 24, 2010 05:11AM
Well, I was able to install IOS80 (newest version) using IOS249. But that didn't seem to change anything.
December 24, 2010 05:17AM
First of all you should be using DOP-Mii: WiiBrew Edition. You must install an IOS80 that is not modified.
You could also install System Menu 4.3 again to see if that changes anything.
EDIT: It may also be your Priiloader settings but I don't know enough about Priiloader to help with that...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2010 05:21AM by bg4545.
December 24, 2010 05:50AM
Sorry to not clarify earlier that I was using DOP: Mii WiiBrew Edition. I seemed to have got everything sorted out though by downgrading back to 4.2 (which I was at when I installed, but somehow - probably PMW as you mentioned - I was upgraded to 4.3). After downgrading and restarting I was able to launch the system normally again and HBC was still installed and functioning. Thanks a lot for pointing me in the direction of DOP-Mii and your prompt responses.
December 24, 2010 07:05AM
You shouldn't have downgraded either, as it will cause problems now if not later down the road. You should never downgrade.
December 24, 2010 09:29AM
You are incorrect, DOP-Mii: WiiBrew Edition doesn't tell you you need fakesign (Trucha). It doesn't need it, it needs to be run with the latest HBC
December 24, 2010 06:29PM
So a couple of questions and comments.

I'm quite sure I was told by DOP-Mii when I was attempting to reinstall IOS80 that there was an error because the IOS I chose to do the install needed the Trucha bug, but that seems to be irrelevant at the moment?

As to downgrading, why is that a problem, and what issues will it bring? At this point, what should I do to either stabilize my system or bring it up to where it should be at?

A couple of other questions. If I installed HBC via Bannerbomb, and I upgrade my system to 4.3, will I then have to reinstall HBC via one of the other exploits like Indiana Pwns?

Another unrelated questions... if I'm running priiloader, and I set it to autoboot from a USB drive, would I be able to move all the files from the SD card to the USB drive?
December 25, 2010 03:28AM
This is just from what I have read here in the forums thats it bad to downgrade, when its time to update, I think it can either brick or cause other things to not work right. I don't what can be done to stabilize the downgrade to keep from making it worse. One of the senior guys might be better at then me, they just say to never downgrade.

If you have your wii connected to the internet, just go to HBC and load it, it will then ask if you want to update to 1.0.8. Or get the latest hackmii installer, put it in your apps folder and run it from HBC. Once HBC is updated to the latest version then you can update to 4.3 and keep the HBC. Just be sure to update the HBC first before updateing the wii.
December 26, 2010 08:48PM
Thanks for the advice. A couple of more questions if you don't mind.

Once I ensure that I have the latest version of HBC, is there a benefit to going to 4.3, or should I just stay at 4.2 if it makes no difference? Secondly, I believe I've turned off the system updating via the settings in Priiloader. Is there another way to update the system menu, if indeed that's what I should do, or do I have to enable that option again and update by logging back into the system menu?

Secondly, I'm mainly interested in expanding the Wii's functionality as a media player, and hoping to watch/play media from a USB drive. Do I need to use the SD card to run the apps and such, and just load the media from a USB drive through a media player or can I move all the files from my SD card onto the USB drive and eliminate the need for the SD card entirely?
December 26, 2010 09:24PM
There is no benefit going to 4.3, it was a attempt at blocking HBC. You are better off on 4.1, and 4.2. If you want usb support you will need IOS 58, You can get the IOS 58 installer, install IOS 58, but will need to reinstall HBC with the latest hackmii installer so HBC will recognize IOS 58.

I don't use priiloader so don't know any about it, You can update from the system menu. If you have that feature blocked in priiloader you will need to unblock it to update. You can use gecko os to load a legit game if it needs a update it will tell you what it needs and install it, most likely its IOS's it needs.

If you want a media player get wiimc, its a all in one media center app for wii, I have it on mine, played with it a little, but not much.

You can use the sd card to run apps as well as a usb drive, but will need the IOS 58 to run the usb I believe. I don't use usb I just use my sd card for now. And you can use just the usb drive for your apps and not use the sd card.
December 28, 2010 02:59AM
Downgrading your System Menu is dangerous because stub IOSes can cause bricks if they are not taken care of properly. For instance, System Menu 4.3 stubs IOS 70, which System Menu 4.2 uses. If you don't know what you are doing and you downgrade to System Menu 4.2 with a stub IOS 70, then your Wii will brick. Fortunately for you, Pimp My Wii did not stub IOS 70 like the normal system update would, so you do not have a bricked Wii. However, many downgrade bricks are actually caused by a future update. An example is the person who downgrades from 4.3 to 4.1 (considered by many, including myself, to be the best system menu) successfully, but then updates to 4.2 for whatever reason. In this case, the Wii System Update replaces IOS 70 with a stub when installing 4.3. Then, the user downgrades to System Menu 4.1 and a functional version of IOS 60 (4.1's IOS). However, when they update to 4.2 accidentally, it updates the System Menu, but IOS 70 remains a stub because it has a higher version than the one that the updater wants to install. This results in a brick.

Normally, going from 4.3 to 4.2 would not be an issue because there is no stub IOS 80 yet, so it would be functional if the Wii was accidentally updated again. However, because you've been having issues on 4.3 and these issues may be caused by an unstable IOS, you are at risk for a brick if you accidentally update.

The solution for this is simple. Download Dop-Mii Wiibrew Edition from here (It doesn't sound like you are using a proper version): [wiibrew.org] Then, assuming you have already installed the latest Homebrew Channel, use Dop-Mii to delete IOS 80. This will ensure that if you accidentally update to System Menu 4.3, a working version of IOS 80 will be installed first.
December 30, 2010 06:07AM
Thanks for the advice, seems like a straight forward and simple solution.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login