Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Permanently semi-bricked Wii??

Posted by Stains 
Permanently semi-bricked Wii??
December 30, 2008 06:06PM
Hi guys, getting desperate for a solution. New to the world of Modchips etc. (I have a d2pro chip btw). I stupidly installed an update from the NTSC-U version of Wii Music on my NTSC-J Wii, giving me the classic "semi-brick". As I didn't have internet connection at the time, no Homebrew channels etc were installed. As with everyone else I cannot access the settings, and I have dupe weather and news channels. However all games work fine - Japanese originals, NTSC-J/U back-ups, no problems with using "scrubbed" versions either. From everthing I read (and everthing else since) I assumed to fix my Wii, I simply needed to get a Japanese game with a more recent update on it. I recently got the NTSC-J version of Need For Speed : Undercover, pretty much the most recent game released here. Sure enough it had an update on it. I installed the update and nothing changed :( All games still work, however I still cannot access settings etc.

Is there anything I can do?? ANY help muchly appreciated! Thanks!
Re: Permanently semi-bricked Wii??
December 30, 2008 08:12PM
On which version are you now? Beyond 3.2?
Or do you have the Homebrew Channel (HBC) installed?

Otherwise you could download the HBC iso and use anyregionchanger.
December 30, 2008 08:20PM
Shouldn't have used a modchip.
December 31, 2008 04:28PM
Need For Speed Underground only installs two new IOSes AFAIK, IOS53 and IOS55 -- IOS History

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2008 04:29PM by Wack0.
December 31, 2008 09:00PM
if u have the homebrew channel, download any region changer, load it up, dont change any of the settings and just instal the system menu 3.2.

if u dont have the homebre channel, get the semi brick fix disc for your region, insert it in ur wii, open it from the disc channel then folow the instructions from there
January 01, 2009 11:33AM
strongfan
Shouldn't have used a modchip.

Thanks. Hindsight is wonderful isn't it? Appreciate the other constructive replies guys. I don't have homebrew installed unfortunately.
I don't know which version of the update I have installed currently, but I think it is 3.3U. I thought NFS might have had a 3.4U on it to fix my Wii but as WackO pointed out, NFS has only some updates on it - apparently not the System Menu 3.4U which I need. I tried using a semi brick fix disk for JP Wii's but got an error message. Is there a more recent "semi brick fix disc" anywhere? The one I tried apparently had the 2.88U on it - couldn't find a more updated one.
And does anyone know of any (Japanese) games that have the 3.4 Menu update? Again, appreciate the help!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2009 11:39AM by Stains.
January 01, 2009 09:54PM
stains, since you dont have homebrew and you the semi brick fix is too old for ur iwis firmware, thisis the only strategy i know:

1) copy a tp hack save file to ur wii
2) put the boot.dol of any region changer to the root of ur sd card
3) load the tp hack
4) you should see anyregion changer
5) dont change any of the settings and just go all the way down to install 3.2 and click on it.

done.
January 03, 2009 03:02AM
he can't copy as he can't get to the settings menu!
January 03, 2009 08:28PM
Did you try the HBC installer disc, just in case that works?
January 04, 2009 05:12AM
HBC installer disc will not work if system menu >= 3.3 (fakesign fix). You'll most likely need to use bootmii and a hardware solution, sorry (when it is available), or wait for a game that really does have a copy of system menu 3.4 on it .
January 04, 2009 10:51AM
Thanks for all the ideas guys. jassim, I tried what you said - do I just need the "boot.dol" file on the SD card root dir? Nothing else? I downloaded anyregionchanger and changed the .dol file to boot.dol (that is what you're supposed to do right? Sorry I'm new at this!). Anyway, I tried it but it didn't like the boot.dol file. In the end it said "hanging" so I had to power it off. No harm done, but no change either.

Icefire, I am able to access the SD/save game menus, just not the Wii settings one (ie. the "Spanner/Wrench" icon).

Am I able to install the Homebrew Channel and downgrade the menu via the TP hack then? I thought for some reason my semi-bricked Wii wouldn't be able to do this but if I put the homebrew app on the SD root dir, would it install ok? I don't need to access the settings page and it won't totally brick my Wii?? Sorry again for all the Q's! Thanks guys!
January 04, 2009 05:03PM
you just need to put the boot.dol in the root of ur sd card then load the twilight hack, if that still doesnt work, and this is the last workaround i know, is to install the homebrew channel and load anyregion changer from there and im 99% sure thatll work.
January 07, 2009 04:46PM
Can't seem to get any boot.dol files to work. Always get a read error. Could the type of SD card used be a possible cause?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2009 04:46PM by Stains.
January 08, 2009 12:42AM
that probably is the problem.
heres what you do.

make a new folder in your desktop called whatever you want

copy EACH AND EVERY SINGLE file from ur sd card to that folder

go to start > my computer

right click on your sd card, click format FAT16 or FAT32.

copy back all your files to your sd card
January 08, 2009 01:11AM
if that doesnt work try geting your hands on a boot.elf file
January 08, 2009 05:46PM
Well some success I guess you could say. Yes, it was thr SD card format. Re-formatted to FAT-32 and I could install HBC and Anyregionchanger no problems. However when I Install 3.2 system menu, everything appears to install ok but after I reset and get back to the Wii Menu, I still cannot access the settings page :( I don't need to change anything else on the Anyregionchanger menu do I? I even tried Cios Downgrader (v1.2) but all that does it reset the Wii whenever I try to access it via HBC. Oh well, at least I have HBC installed now. Thanks for all the replies jassim
January 08, 2009 07:42PM
uhh i think it doesnt work if ur semi briced above 3.2 :( im really sorry

this is the last option an if this oesnt work, nothing but a game with a 3.4 update will work, and if that doesnt work, im afraid you have to wait till 3.5.

last method: install 3.3J with this homebrew application, really hope it works, [wiibrew.org]
January 17, 2009 09:15PM
Stains,

Im new to this also but I would like to try and help you with your situation if it hasn't already been fixed, which it probably has, but anyway.
Try using this program :wiibrew.org and then run your cIOS Downgrader (v1.2) and downgrade to the necessary firmware.
January 17, 2009 09:34PM
Thanks for all the help guys, problem finally fixed. Downgrader etc. didn't work as I had 3.3U menu. Program just reset. Anyway, Mario Tennis GC (for the Wii) has the 3.4 menu update on it. Installed the update, used Duplicate channel remover and we are back to normal, finally :)
February 16, 2009 08:31PM
Stains, where did you get a copy of Mario Tennis GC? I hate to have to spend $60 to buy a copy just to use it for 3.4 menu update. Can't find a place in US to rent it. Thanks.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.