Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

disk drive does not work

Posted by procrastinatorz 
disk drive does not work
January 02, 2011 10:48PM
I installed homebrew through banner bomb about 2 years ago... i really never used it.. i was informed that i should not let it update so i have not updated it since i installed it.. then i bought some new games and they did not work.. i figured i needed a update for the new game.. so i looked into updating... i updated homebrew through the homebrew channel and still had problems.. so i read that it was now safe to update my wii through nintendo ... so i did, and as soon as i did update my disk, the drive does not read the discs anymore... everything else works fine... what happened? is my drive faulty? if it is why did it happen as soon as i updated through nintendo? is my nintendo partially bricked? what do i do? how do i find out if it is my hardware or something i messed up with the software? please help!!! my son is very angry about our unusable wii..
Re: disk drive does not work
January 03, 2011 05:26PM
*suggestion to move this topic to the appropriate subforum*

Official Nintendo updates are, for the most part, safe. I can name a few reasons as to why your games don't work anymore, but before I go blatantly throwing around harsh accusations, I'd like to know what kind of games have you been trying and failing to run, and how is it your trying to run these in the first place.
January 03, 2011 09:48PM
This is exactly what happened to me. It occurred while playing Call of Duty: Black Ops, but I had played the game before; my system automatically shut down while playing online and now it can't read any disks, Wii or otherwise. Games downloaded from the Wii Shop Channel still work fine.

I sent my console in to Nintendo for a repair and they sent it back, claiming that it was "bricked". However, judging from the definitions on this site and the state that my Wii is in, it is not technically bricked. It's possible, I suppose, that the Nintendo technicians found the homebrew I had installed and immediately assumed that was the problem.

I'm posting this here because I did update Homebrew Channel and many programs on it (Homebrew Browser, Code Downloader, Cheat Manager, Gecko OS) shortly after I bought Black Ops and shortly before it crashed. I also had to update the system using Nintendo in order to play Black Ops, so the new system menu might have collided with a malfunctioning new version of my programs to overheat the game, or something. The problem is that I had no homebrew running at the time I was playing. I don't even have BootMii installed.

Many people have complained on the Call of Duty forums about this happening to their Wii while playing Black Ops, and many of these cases seem to involve homebrew. It seems that the game puts more stress on the laser than most games do and homebrew just helps it to break more easily. I just want to know whether I'll have to purchase a new Wii (and lose all of the data that I can't back up) or buy a new laser and install it myself, because I doubt it can be fixed using only programs. (a laser cleaning kit had no effect)
January 03, 2011 09:54PM
No, that doesn't make sense. If anything it's a faulty disc drive and homebrew has nothing to do with it.
January 03, 2011 11:13PM
I think the only problem is the laser, but Nintendo claims that it is bricked from homebrew I installed.
January 05, 2011 01:59AM
the games i have been trying to run are store bought... they are Zelda Twilight Princess ( which has worked for over a year), Create ( brand new), Guitar Hero(metallica) (also brand new), and others that i have owned and have worked before that were all purchased New..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login