Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can HackMii/homebrew cause certain games to not read?

Posted by KNekoSpy 
Can HackMii/homebrew cause certain games to not read?
January 25, 2011 01:30AM
In particular, every game seems to work fine...but my copy of Other M will not read. It will spin up and be selectable on the Disc Channel, but when I go to start the game, it'll go black for a while with the disc reader making a slight clicky noise, and then it will give 'An error has occured' and such. I've bought the Wii cleaner and used it to no avail, so I somehow doubt it's the disc drive.

My concern is that somehow at some point I may have installed something that could have screwed up an IOS or something for the game. Is there a way I can get rid of the hacks on my system to try and isolate the problem? Especially if I need to send this to Nintendo, I wouldn't want the Homebrew Channel on there or something like that.
Re: Can HackMii/homebrew cause certain games to not read?
January 25, 2011 08:07PM
You can uninstall HBC by running the HackMii Installer again, but your problem is not caused by HBC, it cannot affect disc based games in any way.
January 26, 2011 01:59AM
I've heard of people that have problems reading discs fixing them by updating their Wii... But of course, Other M probably wouldn't run unless the Wii was already updated.
January 28, 2011 04:02AM
I can get the disc to read, but when I actually go to play it, the game makes an odd clicky noise before giving me the black 'An error has occured, eject your game, refer to the Wii operations manual' thing.

I tried cleaning the lens several times but nothing seems to have worked. I even wiped the disc clean. So it's either the disc or the console, so I'm going to have to send it in. I hear Other M isn't even that good, but I'm worried I'll have problems with other games now that might come out like Skyward Sword.
January 28, 2011 07:32AM
Other M is a dual layer disc (like SSBB) so the laser has to work harder to read it... no surprise that it's your first game to start showing errors.
January 28, 2011 04:51PM
I CAN run SSBB, just not Other M. Should I clear off my homebrew and send it to Nintendo for the free fix? I'm assuming I should just run HackMii and uninstall it, but I'm afraid they might poke around and find traces.
January 28, 2011 05:32PM
Have you tried using Gecko OS to play the game?
January 28, 2011 05:56PM
metroid_maniac
Have you tried using Gecko OS to play the game?

I did actually. It does the same exact thing, the disc reader making clicky noises for about 10-15 seconds, then spinning down and giving the error.
September 26, 2011 10:11AM
KNekoSpy
I CAN run SSBB, just not Other M.

I had a problem similar to this, SSBB would work, but Other M and even GH: WT wouldn't. I fixed it somehow, but (sorry) I don't remember how. It was definitely not a problem with the laser, though, cuz all the games work fine now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login