Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

brick question

Posted by homer456 
brick question
February 03, 2011 09:34PM
i am only going to use the homebrew channel for demos,emulator,games what they have on there

So is my wii safe from bricking if i only just use that channel
Re: brick question
February 03, 2011 10:26PM
Yes you should be safe from bricking it that case. There is a very slight chance of bricking when installing HBC, but in the over 600,000 unique installations of HBC (not counting updates or reinstallations, which are both effectively the same process again, with same risk), I have NEVER heard of anyone who has bricked simply from installing HBC. So you should be safe. It will void your warranty if you care about that though ;)
February 05, 2011 12:43PM
i know it void the warranty but could,nt i just remove all case of the homebrew if my wii broken down for any reason
February 05, 2011 01:03PM
Not without your NAND keys and a NAND flasher, which involves opening your Wii, soldering a load of wires down, etc.
February 05, 2011 05:09PM
To clarify: What maniac means is that there will ALWAYS be a trace on your Wii if Nintendo want to look. And reportedly, they do of late.
March 08, 2011 07:15AM
Best way to remove traces of HBC and send to Nintendo for repair is to kill it- fully brick style.
March 08, 2011 09:12PM
mauifrog
Best way to remove traces of HBC and send to Nintendo for repair is to kill it- fully brick style.

The incriminating stuff will almost definitely still be there, regardless of how you full brick the Wii.
March 08, 2011 09:19PM
Yes it will, but it is very hard to see.
March 08, 2011 09:44PM
For you, perhaps. For a multi-million dollar corporation like Nintendo with the resources they have at their disposal, no.
March 12, 2011 03:40AM
SifJar
For you, perhaps. For a multi-million dollar corporation like Nintendo with the resources they have at their disposal, no.
Newer wiis with bootmii ios could use giantpune nand bin editor, make a new nand.bin with official files, restore that nand.

I suppose it would be possible for Nintendo to use some file recovery software to recover the files. For those who are very paranoid, it should be possible to make a nand.bin with every block full, perhaps with random data that would not kill the SM. Then restore that, do it at least 7 times and you should be safe from the CIA and Nintendo. Not sure about boot2 bootmii users, they may be sol unless someone wrote an app that would wipe out boot2 a few times and replace it. You could probably right an a that could be loaded with mini, wipe the whole nand 7+ times and install the needed files for SM, just like the nand formater. Then there would be no trace of your stuff, you would either have a working wii or a bricked wii, but it is going to Nintendo so your good.

Other than that, the only way Nintendo could recovery data from a fully bricked none boot2 bootmii wii would be to flash an officially signed version of Bootmii or Nintendo equivalent. That would be awesome if they did because eventually someone would recover it from a returned wii and you should flash bootmii or N equivalent into any wii, that would be a good day. But Nintendo would never do that because they know the risks, and without such a move they can not recover the nand contents without the nand keys.

Also time is money, they only care about money and would never waste it in such a way. If the wii is fully bricked your safe as safe can be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2011 03:40AM by mauifrog.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login