Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Disc drive not working after Letterbomb

Posted by danger 
Disc drive not working after Letterbomb
January 14, 2012 09:50AM
Bought a pawn shop Wii, and the disc drive worked fine when I got it. Then I formatted the Wii Memory and did the following:

Upgraded to 4.3U
Letterbomb via SDHC 4gig
BootMii to Boot2
Homebrew Channel

Installed Homebrew Browser, WiiMC, FCEU GX, WiiMC Channel, FCEU GX Channel, a few games, but doubt that they're the culprits.

After installing all these things, I attempted to load a DVD with WiiMC, but it came back as "Unsupported DVD." Then I found out that somewhere along the line the disc drive was no longer working at all. The drive makes a lot of clicks when loading the Disc Channel, but ultimately fails to read an authentic Wii disc. BootMii backups didn't fix the issue. To attempt to resolve the matter I did the following:

Letterbomb via same SDHC 4gig
Uninstalled BootMii
Uninstalled HBC
Wii Settings Format Wii Memory

The drive still clicks, and doesn't read anything. So I Letterbombed again, and reinstalled everything. Any ideas?
Re: Disc drive not working after Letterbomb
January 14, 2012 10:21AM
Installing homebrew wouldn't make the drive malfunction, it was probably already temperamental when you bought it. Maybe it just needs a clean.
January 14, 2012 06:54PM
Thanks, Any tips on cleaning it? I may just return it to the pawn shop and try another; I really don't have much invested in the machine yet.
January 14, 2012 07:20PM
You can get an official Wii drive lens cleaning kit like this one: www.amazon.com

Or a standard DVD lens cleaning kit may work (I don't know for sure)

Of course, there is no guarantee cleaning it will fix your problem, it's just a possible solution.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login