Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Update wii software without "bricking?"

Posted by bippity 
Update wii software without "bricking?"
December 31, 2012 04:27AM
Hey guys, I haven't touched my wii(currently 4.1u) for around a year so I'm a bit rusty on what I'm supposed to do and everything that I've found online seemed sketchy.
While I was away from home, my father and brother bought a new game called "NBA 2K11" which required a software update. They accepted the update and the wii displays only a black screen(bricked?) after rebooting.
I luckily got the the wii working again by restoring a file that I've backed up(backed up long time ago) in my SD card through BootMii. But I don't know how to update my wii software to play the game.
I tried updating from the game disc, but the same thing happened (black screen) and I restored it again using the same backup in the SD card.
I'm not sure if I have a CIOS installed or not because my "USB Loader GX" says it requires 'at least cios 222 or 245-250' which I believe was the whole point of why I have Dop-mii and cios installers.

I just want help on how to update my wii without losing homebrew and if possible, custom configurations
Re: Update wii software without "bricking?"
December 31, 2012 07:42AM
You might want to patch your system with Priiloader and hacks.ini . From the priiloader "Hacks" Menu, choose to disable updates from disks. However, although the patching progress lasts a few seconds, if a power failure occurs, then you will brick your wii with almost no restoration chances (except if you have bootmii installed as boot2 and a NAND backup).
Re: Update wii software without "bricking?"
December 31, 2012 10:48AM
We don't support USB loaders or CIOSes here. If you didn't have that extra crap installed it would be perfectly safe to update from the disc without losing access to homebrew.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.