Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My Wii is a mess, and I don't know correct terminology!

Posted by thomasthenook 
My Wii is a mess, and I don't know correct terminology!
February 26, 2013 12:40AM
Hello! Thank if you for your time if you've decided to read this! I will now tell the full story in a way that explains my relatively low knowledge of the Wii:
I was happy homebrew user, 4.2u. I updated to 4.3u (I think :p). Unfortunately I decided to Install homebrew for 4.3u by following some strange and questionable youtube tutorial. It worked well. I then made the fateful and dumb decision that my system menu needed to be black. I installed the Korean system menu and it semi-bricked my Wii. I followed Internet tutorials to download and install programs that were usually chuck full of bugs n' errors; I tried to fix my Wii. The programs included DOP-MII, Priiloader, and WAD Manager (Please don't delete this topic if any of those programs or the files involved are illegal, I'm posting this hoping to gain this knowledge.) I was prompted to use these programs to install/replace a slew of system files. My semi-bricked Wii was not fixed, but turned to a brick of a higher caliber in the process (booting the system menu at all results in a black screen.) Because of BootMii, I can still access homebrew channel... But a program that launches disks from the homebrew channel at a 75% success rate still leaves a hole in the heart of my over-all Wii experience. I WANT MY WII BACK :'( I heard that any software fix could be done as long as I have bootmii and the homebrew channel... (Which I do)... Some of you kind folk I know are mighty savvy with the Wii... Can anybody offer a solution? Thank you. :)
Re: My Wii is a mess, and I don't know correct terminology!
February 26, 2013 11:36AM
Assuming you still have dop-Mii handy, load it up and install IOS80 and System Menu v513. That should fix it, provided dop-Mii doesn't have a problem in doing so.

You should never have installed a Korean system menu on a USA wii, I'm not sure why that would have been advised anywhere. Themes, although not really supported here as they mostly contain illegal elements, work just fine on all regions.
February 27, 2013 02:32AM
Yeah... It was a stupid and impatient decision on my part... :p But I will definitely try that thank you! I will post results.
February 27, 2013 05:30AM
Installed IOS80 v6944, and System Menu v513... It did not work, when I choose Wii Menu from bootmii, still freezes at a black screen. :p
February 27, 2013 11:08AM
Huh, that's odd. Seeing as you clearly have BootMii/boot2, do you have a NAND backup from any point in the past? If so, now might be the time to restore it...
February 27, 2013 05:40PM
I don't unfortunately, I looked at betwiin and the whole idea of converting a good NAND backup to fit a broken wii, and i honestly dont have the knowledge to do anything like that or even use betwiin. I think the reason for the wii still not working is several of the wrong IOS being installed or the right ones missing, if I knew the correct ones to be installed... Probably a completely amateur or obvious idea. I think my wii is just about done. Meh.
February 28, 2013 08:12AM
You can try using Ohneschwanzenegger to make a fresh NAND, all you have to to is take a NAND backup of your Wii right now and create a new NAND using the program and use your NAND backup for the keys and such.
[forum.wiibrew.org]
February 28, 2013 11:29AM
You could also try running "nandbincheck" on a NAND dump from your Wii in it's current state. This should point out any problems preventing the Wii from booting, and in that way you may be able to fix without having to rebuild a NAND from scratch with Ohneschwanzenegger (which would mean losing all your save data, channels [including VC and WW games], Miis etc.).
March 10, 2013 05:32AM
Thanks to everybody who took the time to post in my thread! I will certainly return at some point in time to try to fix 'er up, but at the moment we just bought the Wii U! So I'm currently distracted. A cool system so far, I look forward to seeing a Zelda Title and a Smash Bros. title emerge!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login