Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Noob question

Posted by jbfg8r 
Noob question
August 12, 2009 06:19PM
I am getting a good deal on a Wii from a friend of a friend who already modded it but never ended up playing with it much. It has HomeBrew and 3.2u. I plan on adding Bootmii to it. My question is whether I should bother upgrading to 4.1. I see plenty of people saying there is no issue with upgrading but then I see plenty of posts with people explaining how to downgrade to 3.2 or other prior versions. It's a little confusing. So that is question #1.
The others are suggestions about other mods that should be done.
Thanks in advance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2009 06:29PM by jbfg8r.
Re: Noob question
August 12, 2009 06:22PM
If you are going to come to us for help, at least read the forum rules. or at least even the top of the home page with the bold, underlined, coloured anouncement.
August 12, 2009 06:47PM
There is nothing that can be done on 3.2 that can't on 4.1. It just takes a little effort. If you just install cIOS using tona's patchmii installer while on 3.2, then update, you can use dop-IOS to return trucha bug to all IOS after you update, meaning you can use anything. However, most things which need the trucha bug are warez stuff, so really, there isn't much need to restore it to all IOS when you upgrade.
August 12, 2009 07:10PM
While you can downgrade, it's pointless because everything you can do on 3.2 (including your warez megaton fails) works perfectly on 4.1

The only people who will ever "instruct you" to downgrade are people that can barely spell C++. If you ever do downgrade it is highly likely that the unstable downgrading software will brick your Wii.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2009 07:10PM by Arikado.
August 12, 2009 10:52PM
After I install cIOS using tona's patchmii installer (on 3.2) I update using Nintendo's update? Remember, I am getting the machine from a prior owner so I don't know yet what mods have been done, just that it doesn't have bootmii loaded. Should I load bootmii before anything else in case it bricks or has other issues?
August 12, 2009 11:00PM
no nintendo update will ever brick you. (save the power fail :) but yes do install tona's cIOS before updating. As you cant after the update. As for bootmii i would install before the update but only as boot2. (IOS doesnt really have any real protection from bricks)
August 12, 2009 11:15PM
Yeah install BootMii as boot2 and tona's cIOS before updating, take a NAND dump, upgrade, take another NAND dump, use dop-IOS to "dop" every IOS in your Wii, take another NAND backup, then enjoy all the homebrew goodness.
August 13, 2009 01:21AM
Thanks for the answers. Now waiting for the weekend to get the Wii.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login