Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

i tried bootmii and....

Posted by headfirst4halos 
i tried bootmii and....
August 12, 2009 03:53AM
Nothing happens
the wii just boots normally

I got to the installer and it said that i could install bootmii as boot2 but the bootmii didn't showed when i rebooted
so i just erased it running the installer again

My wii specifications:
+i'm on 4.1
+i didn't turn off wii connect (does that interferes with the installation?)
+I checked the sd card compatibility list at wiibrew.org
+I erased bootmii and the installer just said erasing block 3 and 4 succes and everything seems to be fine
+I didn't try to install the homebrew channel or dvdx
+My sd card was correctly prepared
+Iclicked prepare a sd card in the installer
+The sd card was in the wii when i tried to get into bootmii

I just want to know why i couldn't see the bootmii screen

edit: what i was trying to say is that because i couldn't see the bootmii main menu at reboot i erased it using the installer (the installer said that i was able to install as boot2)

when uninstalling bootmii the instructions said "erasing block 3 and 4",
can that cause problems in the future?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2009 05:27AM by headfirst4halos.
Re: i tried bootmii and....
August 12, 2009 04:11AM
+i'm on 4.1
It (boot2) works on 4.1 if you have have the correct LU version.
+i didn't turn off wii connect (does that interferes with the installation?)
Not an issue.
+I erased bootmii and the installer just said erasing block 3 and 4 succes and everything seems to be fine
What?
+I didn't try to install the homebrew channel or dvdx
You shouldn't need them...
+The sd card was in the wii when i tried to get into bootmii
You have to have it initialize the sd card.

I just want to know why i couldn't see the bootmii screen.
Only Boot 2 shows on the screen.
August 12, 2009 04:48AM
headfirsthalos
Theres your problem.
August 12, 2009 05:19AM
i mean that everything in the installation went perfect (at least that's what the installer says)
i installed it as boot2 and the installes said succes
but i couldn't go to the bootmii main menu when rebooting my wii so i erased it with the installer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2009 05:25AM by headfirst4halos.
August 13, 2009 12:46AM
The only way to get to bootmii menu with boot1 is to access it via homebrew channel (latest update)
with boot2 you can access it from the boot screen.

So see if you can access it from the homebrew channel, if not try editing your /bootmii/bootmii.ini file on your sd card.
August 13, 2009 12:58AM
Your sd card might not be supported
August 13, 2009 01:27AM
actually
my sd card is supported, i checked the compatibility list at wiibrew.org
the installer says "can be installed" in all 3 available programs
i installed bootmii as boot2 but the bootmii screen just doesn't show up at reboot

also, i don't want to install the homebrew channel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2009 01:27AM by headfirst4halos.
August 13, 2009 05:47AM
Why dont you want the homebrew channel?
August 13, 2009 06:00AM
Arikado

this. Also, the lack of homebrew channel might be the cause of the problem
August 13, 2009 11:59AM
no, the lack of HBC is NOT the problem. The two are not reliant on each other at all. But still install HBC, its great. And there is no real need for BootMii without it, as its nearly impossible to brick a Wii if you just use official stuff. Except losing power during an update.
August 13, 2009 08:29PM
SifJar
no, the lack of HBC is NOT the problem. The two are not reliant on each other at all. But still install HBC, its great. And there is no real need for BootMii without it, as its nearly impossible to brick a Wii if you just use official stuff. Except losing power during an update.

Sorry, my mistake, I thought they were
August 13, 2009 08:46PM
No, they're completely independant of each other, afaik. But still, there is no real need for BootMii without HBC, unless you're just gonna run homebrew with bannerbomb or something. Which is stupid, you may as well just install HBC.
August 13, 2009 09:43PM
cactusjack901
Since neither SifJar or yourself (or myself) have a copy of the HBC and BootMii source code, it's impossible to know that.

I'd be interested to see if the boot2 install does or doesn't work after an HBC installation.
August 13, 2009 10:30PM
Well, that's true. But I highly doubt either rely on each other. I guess we'll see if he tries it.
August 13, 2009 11:51PM
Arikado

I don't want to install it untill i can make a succesfull NAND backup because if i have to send the wii for repair in the future i can restore my wii to a point where the homebrew channel didn't existed just to be sure that nintendo will not be able to find homebrew traces

SifJar
And there is no real need for BootMii without it, as its nearly impossible to brick a Wii if you just use official stuff. Except losing power during an update.

That's exaclty why i want bootmii, sometimes my internet gives me problems and if something goes horribly wrong while updating i can restore and try to update later
August 14, 2009 12:35AM
headfirst4halos
Arikado

I don't want to install it untill i can make a succesfull NAND backup because if i have to send the wii for repair in the future i can restore my wii to a point where the homebrew channel didn't existed just to be sure that nintendo will not be able to find homebrew traces

They would still be able to see that bootmii was installed. Plus there havent been any confirmed reports of nintendo giving users a hard time about homebrew.

(quoting fixed -- Arikado)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2009 04:40PM by Arikado.
August 14, 2009 12:42AM
That sounds great, but you forget your NAND backup is going to have traces of Bootmii on it.
August 14, 2009 01:10AM
TopGun96
They would still be able to see that bootmii was installed. Plus there havent been any confirmed reports of nintendo giving users a hard time about homebrew.

ninjafish1990
That sounds great, but you forget your NAND backup is going to have traces of Bootmii on it.

I know the wii will have traces of bootmii but i don't think nintendo can find it unless they make a very deep scan on the NAND because as far as i know they just scan the main memory system and not the boot process where bootmii resides

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2009 01:12AM by headfirst4halos.
August 14, 2009 04:40AM
headfirst4halos
TopGun96

ninjafish1990

I know the wii will have traces of bootmii but i don't think nintendo can find it unless they make a very deep scan on the NAND because as far as i know they just scan the main memory system and not the boot process where bootmii resides

I had my wii's SD card slot break on me back in Feb, and I had the HBC and some custom channels installed. seeing as how I couldn't run ATD, I just removed them with the Data Management tool, I finally sent it out in late July, and got it back early August. Nintendo found the HBC and whatnot and called me just to make sure if I was alright with them removing the HBC and whatnot, it shouldn't be a problem for you.

Arikado
cactusjack901
Since neither SifJar or yourself (or myself) have a copy of the HBC and BootMii source code, it's impossible to know that.

I'd be interested to see if the boot2 install does or doesn't work after an HBC installation.

Later tonight I'll check this out, I'll remove all homebrew from my system, and then try to install BootMii without installing the HBC and I'll post what happens here
August 14, 2009 05:22AM
They didn't even give you a fixed boot1? If not that is great news.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login