Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Channels for homebrew apps

Posted by swirleydude 
Channels for homebrew apps
September 11, 2009 09:30PM
I was wondering if there is a way to make channels for homebrew apps. I'd like to be able to access my emu's from the system menu.
Re: Channels for homebrew apps
September 11, 2009 09:34PM
There are, but 9 times out of 10 it is done using illegal tools, and they have to be installed with WADs, both of these things are unsupported here. What's wrong with going to the HBC?
September 11, 2009 09:42PM
I'm lazy, so any step I can skip the better. Also a plain channel on the menu would be easier for my wife to use.

If making channels requires illegal tools not supported by this site, then why is the HBC considered okay here? It would have had to have been made with the same tools.
September 11, 2009 09:52PM
no, it wasn't. Team Twiizers made their own tools. The problem comes from the banner, that little animation that plays on the system menu. USUALLY, the animations are taken from official Nintendo channels, which is illegal to do. The only way to make a 100% legal channel, at the moment (without writing your own banner making tools and whatnot), is to use ChannelMaker 3 to build the WAD and Benzin to make the banner. However, there are very few legal channels, so you're pretty much stuck making your own animation. Beyond that, it also leaves you with a WAD file to install, and WAD installation just isn't supported on this forum, so we can't help you with that.
September 11, 2009 09:55PM
So if I re-invent the wheel and write all my own tools it's okay by this forum, but if I use what has already been made it's a no-no? Is Team Twiizers code open source? I'll just see what they did.
September 11, 2009 09:56PM
cactusjack901
no, it wasn't. Team Twiizers made their own tools. The problem comes from the banner, that little animation that plays on the system menu. USUALLY, the animations are taken from official Nintendo channels, which is illegal to do. The only way to make a 100% legal channel, at the moment (without writing your own banner making tools and whatnot), is to use ChannelMaker 3 to build the WAD and Benzin to make the banner. However, there are very few legal channels, so you're pretty much stuck making your own animation. Beyond that, it also leaves you with a WAD file to install, and WAD installation just isn't supported on this forum, so we can't help you with that.
To add to what cactusjack said, the tools that team twiizers used haven't been released to the general public. The tools that exist within the general public are illegal.
September 11, 2009 09:58PM
swirleydude
So if I re-invent the wheel and write all my own tools it's okay by this forum, but if I use what has already been made it's a no-no? Is Team Twiizers code open source? I'll just see what they did.
Wow, really? Its a "no-no", as you said, to use nintendo's code because its copyrighted, thus illegal. Using nintendo's copyrighted code without their permission is not legal. Sure, if you make your own tools from scratch, but you'd have to be very experienced to be able to do so.

Edit: Double Post! W00t! :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2009 09:59PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
September 11, 2009 09:59PM
Pretty much, and no, Team Twiizers never released their banner-making tools. Benzin is legal, but versions of ChannelMaker before ChannelMaker 3 had stolen Nintendo code within it, which made the program in and of itself illegal. ChannelMaker3 was more or less a complete rewrite of the code, so any and all illegal parts have been removed, but it still requires a "Base WAD" for you to take the animation from, and with that comes "Base WADs" made from official Nintendo games and whatnot, which is illegal. As it stands right now, the easiest way to get a legal channel is to make your own banners using Benzin. there are "Base WADs" made with Benzin, but they are hard to come by, so it's best that you just make your own so you can be sure it's legal.
September 11, 2009 09:59PM
Maybe they need to make a site where you send them a legit homebrew app and they email you back a channel installer for that app.
September 11, 2009 10:00PM
swirleydude
Maybe they need to make a site where you send them a legit homebrew app and they email you back a channel installer for that app.
They can't focus they're entire lives on homebrew. They're probably busy doing other stuff. I doubt that they'd do that.
September 11, 2009 10:03PM
once again, I make my point of "what's wrong with going to the Homebrew Channel?"
September 11, 2009 10:03PM
WaxyPumpkin72
swirleydude
Wow, really? Its a "no-no", as you said, to use nintendo's code because its copyrighted, thus illegal. Using nintendo's copyrighted code without their permission is not legal. Sure, if you make your own tools from scratch, but you'd have to be very experienced to be able to do so.

I think I understand now, it's not that fact that the other tools were made with piracy in mind it's that fact that the used reversed engineered code that didn't belong to them.
September 11, 2009 10:04PM
Now you've got it
September 11, 2009 10:06PM
cactusjack901
once again, I make my point of "what's wrong with going to the Homebrew Channel?"
Nothing just thought it would be cool to try something different, plus less delay as one only has to wait for the system menu and you app to load instead of the system menu and then the HBC and then your app
September 11, 2009 10:06PM
swirleydude
WaxyPumpkin72
swirleydude

I think I understand now, it's not that fact that the other tools were made with piracy in mind it's that fact that the used reversed engineered code that didn't belong to them.
Yes. Thats exactly the problem. :)
It would be nice if TT released their tools...They probably wouldn't be n00b friendly though! lol :p i iz a n00bz.
September 11, 2009 10:08PM
swirleydude
cactusjack901
Nothing just thought it would be cool to try something different, plus less delay as one only has to wait for the system menu and you app to load instead of the system menu and then the HBC and then your app
If you install bootmii as boot2, then you can almost immediately launch the HBC, and the load your app right afterwards. I do this, and it takes about 15 seconds for me to get an app running after I press the power button.
September 11, 2009 10:09PM
WaxyPumpkin72
swirleydude
They can't focus they're entire lives on homebrew. They're probably busy doing other stuff. I doubt that they'd do that.
Maybe if the channel was just a dummy that points to the app on the sd card, like a shortcut in windows. They would only have to change the banner and tell the user where the dol would have to reside on the sd card.
September 11, 2009 10:11PM
WaxyPumpkin72
swirleydude
cactusjack901
If you install bootmii as boot2, then you can almost immediately launch the HBC, and the load your app right afterwards. I do this, and it takes about 15 seconds for me to get an app running after I press the power button.

just a little iffy about using an app that writes to the boot sector when no other app can. If it screws up then nothing other than the app that screwed up in the first place to fix it with.
September 11, 2009 10:11PM
yeah, they do that already, it's called a forwarder channel, pirates use them all the time, but the Banner still remains a problem, 9 times out of 10, the Banner is pirated and edited illegally. As I said, easiest way to do this is to make your own banner using Benzin. I've never used Benzin, but after you're done with that, ChannelMaker3 makes things incredibly easy. You just need a legal Banner/Base WAD is all
September 11, 2009 10:13PM
swirleydude
WaxyPumpkin72
swirleydude
cactusjack901

just a little iffy about using an app that writes to the boot sector when no other app can. If it screws up then nothing other than the app that screwed up in the first place to fix it with.

Don't be iffy on Bootmii, Bootmii has all sorts of sanity checks and whatnot, hell, just yesterday I installed a Beta version of Bootmii that I don't even know if I should have yet (that Hackmii Installer 0.4 Test version). I'd say Bootmii is safer than Nintendo's official boot2

EDIT: Woot, double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2009 10:13PM by cactusjack901.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login