Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can 4.0 or 4.1 still be found anywhere?

Posted by Mattroid 
Can 4.0 or 4.1 still be found anywhere?
October 24, 2009 07:27PM
I don't really want to update to 4.2 for obvious reasons, but I think it's about time to update to at least 4.0 if I can (I have my reasons). Is there a way to jump to one of these rather than 4.2? I hear Wii Sports Resort only has 3.4 or something on the disc, so does that mean there are no discs out there with at least 4.0 on them yet?
Re: Can 4.0 or 4.1 still be found anywhere?
October 24, 2009 07:30PM
You can use dop-IOS MOD to install IOS60 and then System Menu 4.0 or 4.1 (up to you, but either way make SURE you install IOS60 first, otherwise full brick). Or else you can use NUSD to get WADs of IOS60 and System Menu 4.0/4.1 and install them with wadimport. There are no discs available with an update over 3.4 yet, and I'd say discs will soon have 4.2, so 4.0/4.1 will be skipped over.
October 24, 2009 07:44PM
How safe is the method you mentioned? Not sure if it's entirely worth it or not, but so long as I follow your steps I shouldn't be at much risk, correct?
October 24, 2009 07:49PM
Provided you install IOS60 first, and it installs properly, you should be fine.

Do you have BootMii as boot2? If not, you may want to reconsider. Technically, any update has its risks, even official ones. But you should be abolutely fine provided you install IOS60 first.

EDIT: May I ask why you feel the need to update? I know there is no reason NOT to update, but really there aren't too many reasons TO update either. Unless you need SDHC support or SD Menu, you may want to stay where you are. Any other "feature" of higher updates can be achieved fairly easily.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2009 07:54PM by SifJar.
October 25, 2009 03:59AM
I have a launch day Wii with 3.2U currently, so I do have bootmii installed as boot2. I've held off on updating all this time for various reasons, but realized that I would probably use my Wii more these days if I did have the SD Menu, as you mentioned. Plus, while I've been able to convince my girlfriend to run newer games (Animal Crossing, Sports Resort, etc) through Gecko OS, I have a feeling she won't put up with that much longer and I run the risk of her updating to 4.2 without me knowing. And we can't have that, now can we :P

Plus, while Nintendo's last attempt to block homebrew was lame as hell, they're getting closer and I'd like to update to one that I know still allows the majority of the functionality I need and has a few neat features I'd like to have.

I plan to do a NAND dump prior to doing any kind of update. From what I understand, this would allow me to restore to my 3.2U state if I needed to. Is that correct?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2009 04:00AM by Mattroid.
October 25, 2009 01:16PM
Yeah, that's fine. Take a NAND dump, then follow these instructions:

1. Run dop-IOS MOD. Choose to run on IOS36
2. Choose to install IOS36, and apply both patches when asked
3. Install every other IOS in turn, without applying patched
4. Update all channels with dop-IOS MOD
5. Finally, install System Menu 4.1 for your region with dop-IOS MOD

You need no prior preperation for this, such as downloading WADs etc., so just go for it. It should be safe, but if something goes wrong just restore your NAND dump.
October 25, 2009 02:18PM
or, you can just update to 4.2 so much easier than all that.

but, to each his own.
October 27, 2009 05:57AM
You can use StartPatch (Found here: [www.wiibrew.org]) to disable update for good (from disc as well as online)
I think you need some stuff I can't discuss here, and the trunca enabled IOS 36 with dop- MOD mentioned earlier.

It's all there in the wiibrew page.

Make sure you make a NAND backup with bootmii first.

That will help with your girlfriend playing games through the disc channel.
October 27, 2009 05:47PM
StartPatch on 4.1 needs cIOS, on other System Menus you can use IOS36. But you need ES_Identify in it, as well (?) as trucha.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login