Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need help on upgrading my fossil Wii console!

Posted by douji 
Need help on upgrading my fossil Wii console!
December 24, 2009 11:48AM
Hi all, I need some help!

1) I have a Wii console(NTSC) which I got it modified by someone 2 years ago. I really have no idea what they did on the console, I wasn't care much that time but now I am so regret it! In this 2 years I have been only sticking to few games,so I did not bother on upgrading it.
2) I just bought the Super Mario Bros and it needs me to upgrade the firmware before playing it. Then I started to concern on the upgrading. I know upgrading through nintendo will mostly brick my console, but I need to play it this Christmas holiday!
3)My system menu version is 2.0u(I know... old!)

Questions:
1)Is it really dangerous by upgrading my console through nintendo? If something happened, is it always a way to reverse the damage?
2)Can anyone really guide me step by step to fully upgrade my "fossil" wii console inside out?

Any input is greatly appreciated! Happy Christmas and New Year everyone! : )
Re: Need help on upgrading my fossil Wii console!
December 24, 2009 12:48PM
The update is perfectly safe, just accept it. Nothing will be removed or anything. BTW, after the update (not before) I would advise you to install BootMii as boot2, as that will give you the best brick protection available, which is always good to have, and as you have an old Wii you will be able to install it.
December 24, 2009 01:58PM
SifJar
The update is perfectly safe, just accept it. Nothing will be removed or anything.
Even safe on a hardware-modified wii console?
December 24, 2009 03:13PM
I think so. The hardware modification may stop working, but that's it.
December 24, 2009 03:18PM
WikiFSX
I think so. The hardware modification may stop working, but that's it.
So what is the consequences of hardware modification stop working? Console bricked?
December 24, 2009 03:33PM
No, it will be absolutely fine. I am assuming you mean a modchip. They generally don't stop working with 4.1 (which is whats on the disk) anyway. Even if they did, the console would still be fine. You only have slight risk if you go to 4.2, which is the latest update. Even then, I think most modchips still work fine, just region-free is broken. But even if they do stop working there usually isn't an issue, the Wii just functions as a "normal" unmodified Wii.

EDIT: At least, this is all to the best of my knowledge, I am fairly certain this information is accurate, however, I do not know that much about modchips.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2009 03:34PM by SifJar.
December 24, 2009 03:36PM
Region free System Menu patches no longer work is what I heard. Stuff like Gecko and presumably modchips would keep working.
December 24, 2009 03:39PM
WikiFSX
Region free System Menu patches no longer work is what I heard. Stuff like Gecko and presumably modchips would keep working.

Gecko - Yes.
Modchips - No.

This is one of marcan's reasons he cites for writing TinyLoader; region free is broken on modchips with latest update. However, its still fine on 4.1 afaik.
December 25, 2009 09:24AM
I already upgraded my wii and so far everything is fine! I am able to play my mario now! Thanks to you SifJar and WikiFSX!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login