Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii hangs when trying to download using HBB 0.3.6

Posted by xeddog 
Wii hangs when trying to download using HBB 0.3.6
December 25, 2009 12:12AM
Hi all, first post here so I hope I get this right.

Anyway, I had homebrew (unknown version) installed on my daughters wii (4.2u) until a few days ago. Then, since the machine had not been used for a while I checked for updates and one was available. I started the update and after maybe 30 minutes it failed. I don't exactly know what happened since I was not in the room for a while.

So when the machine was rebooted, everything still seemed to be fine except HBC wasn't there any more. I went and reinstalled HBC using the bannerbomb v2, and HBC 0.6 on to my SD card and it seems to be fine. When I ran the HBC installer, I installed HBC and dvdx, but did not install bootmii. I had a couple of . . .uh . . ."issues" but I got the answers from the Internet. Things like when launching HBC, all I got was the bubbles. But I got passed all of that.

For a while, every time I launched the Homebrew Browser, I would get the black screen with the white text messages and it would hang there. The last message was usually "downloading homebrew list . . ." . I was going to get on the Internet and research that one, but today it was working and I got all of the homebrew applications listed on screen. I managed to get about 4 games loaded and running but then it just seems to have given up.

I still get the list of applications just fine. I can scroll thru the list and que apps for download. When I click on the download/show queue arrow I get a list of the apps that are queued, but clicking on the download arrow again does absolutely nothing. I can click on any of the other buttons and they work, but just not the download button.

Now here is where the problem really starts. If I go back to . . .say . . .the "games" tab, select one of them, then click the "Download" button from the game description page, the Wii hangs completely. Totally unresponsive. I have to unplug the Wii or press the power button for 5 seconds and then repower/reboot. I have left it in the hung state plenty long enough to know that it is terminal. Like one time for two hours.

The things I can think of that may have something to do with the problem are the failed update, the SD card, and the Wireless network. If it was the failed update, why does everything else seem to be ok, and why was I able to download the four games that I did get? The SD card is the same one I used before I had to re-install so I don't really think that is the problem UNLESS there is a certain amount of free space required. My SD card is an old 64MB card, but according the the status line on the HBB there is still 44MB free. Seems like that should be enough. Lastly, the wireless network. That is a real weak spot because I know the connections is pretty poor. It would take about 15-20 minutes to download a 1MB game. But is does seem to be working. At least well enough that the entire Wii shouldn't just hang.

So if anyone has anything I can try, I'm all ears (or eyes I guess).

Thanks in advance,

xeddog
Re: Wii hangs when trying to download using HBB 0.3.6
December 26, 2009 07:38PM
Hello, I've got this same problem. When I enter the HBB and do a little browsing it will hang at random points. I've got to download one app (Kidspaint, lol) but anything else it will hang either after clicking on the "Games" tab or a game, or sometimes when its just sitting at idle inside the HBB. I'm on firmware 4.1u and just did a clean install of the HBC last night, so it should be the newest version. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
December 28, 2009 07:25PM
Update - I put in a new router with more powerful transmitter and I have now successfully updated my Wii. I also got a new 2GB SD card and re-installed bannerbomb v2, hackmii installer .06, Homebrew Browser 3.6. All to no avail. The Wii still hangs when trying to download using HBB. I can install apps manually using my computer, but I just cannot use the HBB to do it.

xeddog
December 29, 2009 02:23AM
Can you try unplugging additional controllers like GC, Nunchuck, etc?

When you got a new SD card and installed HBB, did it ask you to download the images zip file at the start with the text on the black screen? If so, did you proceed with it?

At the bottom of HBB, do you see that it says checking icon x/xxx? If it stays on one icon for a while it means it's downloading it, does it ever freeze on one forever? Can you try downloading when this finishes checking all the icons? Can you try to remove all the icons found in /apps/homebrew_browser/temp?
December 29, 2009 07:07PM
Thanks for the reply teknecal.

Can you try unplugging additional controllers like GC, Nunchuck, etc?

I have never had any additional controllers connected.

When you got a new SD card and installed HBB, did it ask you to download the images zip file at the start with the text on the black screen? If so, did you proceed with it?

I'm not sure what you are asking here. Do you mean the part that says things like downloading repository list and the homebrew list?? At any rate, I don't remember exactly what happened because I probably didn't stay in the room while it was happening. I will reformat the SD card and start over paying closer attention to that part.

At the bottom of HBB, do you see that it says checking icon x/xxx? If it stays on one icon for a while it means it's downloading it, does it ever freeze on one forever? Can you try downloading when this finishes checking all the icons? Can you try to remove all the icons found in /apps/homebrew_browser/temp?

I have seen the HBB checking icons at the bottom, and I have waited for the checking to complete before trying to download apps. I have also waited for several minutes after the checking completes just in case HBB was doing something else too. It still hangs the Wii. I will try removing all of the icons, and reformatting the SD card too, but it will have to wait til later today or maybe tomorrow.

Thanks again,

xeddog
December 29, 2009 08:21PM
OK, So I figured "how long can this take?" and I went ahead and formatted my sd card and started over yet again. I installed the bannerbomb v2, hackmii .06, and HBB 0.3.6. There is one thing that I did differently when installing hackmii this time. All previous installs I installed HBC and DVDx. This time I only installed HBC and I did not install dvdx. I don't know if that mattered or not, but it is something I did differently. I then booted from the SD card and launched HBB. Got a solid black screen and the Wii was just hung. I powered down and restarted the Wii, launched HBC and the HBB again and it started normally. THIS time, the HBB downloaded the two "lists" and then downloaded and extracted the zip file you mentioned. In all of my previous 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 installs of HBB I have never seen it do that.

Bottom line is that it works. WOOOHOOO!!! At least it seems to be. I am currently downloading file 8/28, and it looks good. But I do have one question. When HBB was launching and the black screen with the text messages was being displayed, and after HBB downloaded and extracted the zip file, I noticed at the bottom that there was a line that came up on the bottom of the screen that said something like "unable to open . . .aborting" and then one more line that may have consisted of just a word or two that flashed by so fast that I could not see what it said. Any idea what that may have been? It doesn't seem to have affected anything with the possible exception of the first black screen/hang that I had, but everything seems to be working now.

Thanks for your help,

xeddog
December 30, 2009 03:27AM
xeddog
When HBB was launching and the black screen with the text messages was being displayed, and after HBB downloaded and extracted the zip file, I noticed at the bottom that there was a line that came up on the bottom of the screen that said something like "unable to open . . .aborting" and then one more line that may have consisted of just a word or two that flashed by so fast that I could not see what it said. Any idea what that may have been? It doesn't seem to have affected anything with the possible exception of the first black screen/hang that I had, but everything seems to be working now.

Not too sure what that is, other users have reported it but it hasn't affected anything as far as I know.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login