Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Installed HBC..now What???

Posted by mario82 
Installed HBC..now What???
January 08, 2010 02:29PM
Hi Guys,

I'm asking very naive question but I’m new to Wii and HBC so I might sound dumb. :(

Thanks to you guys I have installed the HBC successfully on my new Wii (4.2)..but now what?

How can I download and play old Nintendo, Sega games? Which applications do i need to install?

Which application do I need to install to play DVD and music etc?

Do I need to aware of any application which doesn't work on 4.2 and can brick my Wii? I don’t want that I put application on wii and it will damage Wii.

Also while installing the HBC as per the instructions i installed the DVDx and BootMii but i could find them when i launched the HBC for 1st time..Later on I figure out that i need to create the apps folder and copy stuff in to that so i can run particular app. I did that successfully and now i have got browser on HBC which works fine. What's the use of DVDx and BootMii then or they are internal to HBC? Do i need to launch BootMii manually at any time? If so why?

Thank you very much for reading my naive questions? I appreciate all the help you guys provide on this forum.

Cheers!!!
Re: Installed HBC..now What???
January 08, 2010 03:09PM
Only way you can brick your Wii through homebrew is if you try to install WADs or alter the flash memory if you don't know what you're doing.

For the older games, I recommend getting some emulators. Installation is included on their pages. Here's a list of current emulators.

[wiibrew.org]

That's all I use my HBC for, though. For DVDs and stuff, I have a PS2 and an actual DVD player, so I don't really need it.

For the media, best I've heard is GeeXboX [wiibrew.org]

As far as I know, all current homebrew is compatible with 4.2

DVDx is used to play burned disk images and DVDs. BootMii is used to practically make your Wii un-brickable. Although, newer models of the Wii lack the component to install BootMii as a boot2. BootMii as an IOS is virtually useless. Also, keep in mind that newer games, like New Super Mario Bros Wii, have an update, mandatory for it to play, that will uninstall and overwrite BootMii. I think you can skip said update by loading the game through GeckoOS whenever you want to play it. Since I have only HBC and not DVDx or BootMii on my Wii, the update virtually did nothing to the homebrew or the channel.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2010 03:20PM by Mestizo.
January 08, 2010 03:48PM
Many Thanks for you reply.

Regarding the "New Super Mario Bros Wii" stuff you mentioned, does it mean i can't play that game normally as we play "Wii sport resort" or any other Wii game? Will that update delete just the HBC chanel or does it do anything to Wii which makes it unusable? Scared now :(

Also when you say update do you mean...Wii software update or some game specific update? I have already updated my Wii software to the latest one just before installing the HBC.
January 08, 2010 05:29PM
It'll install a new revision of boot2 and 4.2, if you don't already have it. It'll overwrite BootMii, but you can easily re-install it. I did the install of New Super Mario Bros Wii, and my homebrew still works. If you have a modchip in your Wii, that's the only way it'll brick it. If you have 4.2 and homebrew channel, neither will be changed.
January 08, 2010 07:40PM
Mestizo
For the media, best I've heard is GeeXboX [wiibrew.org]
I'm pretty sure MPlayerCE is the best media player.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2010 07:41PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login