Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Disc not Reading????!!!

Posted by numi 
Disc not Reading????!!!
March 11, 2010 12:21AM
Hello, all. I installed the Homebrew Channel, Bootmii as boot2, and DVDx on my 4.2U Wii via the Hackmii installer (bannerbomb, I think?). All of that went nice and well, except it booted to the Homebrew channel and there was nothing, contrary to what all youtube tutorials showed. Just bubbles, no Ocarina or anything else. I figured whatever, I'll install Ocarina on my own. So I did. I booted Ocarina with my proper code and game and SD card inserted, it said press A to boot game, I pressed A, and BAM. "Error: No DVD" popped up. Pressed it a few more times, and no dice. Now through the Wii menu I can't boot a disk either, whether the SD card is inserted or not. Can anyone help me?

(I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Homebrew Channel and DVDx. Though not Bootmii as boot2, because I don't know what will happen if I do.)
Re: Disc not Reading????!!!
March 11, 2010 12:23AM
Would the game happen to be Super Smash Bros. Brawl, by any chance?
March 11, 2010 12:24AM
Ocarina is old. Use Gecko OS.
March 11, 2010 12:31AM
It was Mario Kart Wii. Though I was one of the people affected by the faulty disk drives that could not read Brawl when it came out. I downloaded Gecko OS too, but when I loaded it the screen went black, and stayed that way for an obnoxious period of time so I turned it off. It also didn't have a description or a logo like Ocarina does, so maybe it wasn't an official version of Gecko OS? If anyone could link me to a guaranteed working version of Gecko OS, and maybe give some some instructions, that'd be dandy. I get the basic ideas of Wii hacking, but I'm more of a PSP hacking sort of guy. It's a little easier IMO. I'm such a n00b...
March 11, 2010 12:42AM
You probably have the version of Gecko OS that runs on cIOS 249 if possible. That version doesn't work on system menu 4.2 unless you delete the stub IOS 249 that is installed with the 4.2 update. Use the latest version of Gecko OS, which does not have this issue. You can get it here.
March 11, 2010 12:44AM
Thanks, man. I'm trying that now. I'll be back within five minutes with an update.
March 11, 2010 12:49AM
I installed Gecko OS and launched it. Only problem is, when I went to launch the game it still said "Error: No DVD"

Any other thoughts?

*EDIT* I also downloaded and installed homebrew broswer. It launched, downloaded and extracted image files, then gave me a DSI Error with a bunch of GPSR (It mihgt no have been GPSR, but it was VERY similar to that) 00-31 values followed by some hexadecimal code, a code dump, and some other dump, both of which were followed by some hexadecimal. No idea what that's about either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 12:52AM by numi.
March 11, 2010 12:51AM
Does Gecko work with any other games? Also, can you launch Mario Kart through the disc channel?
March 11, 2010 12:55AM
Nope. I just tried New Super Mario Bros., and it failed to launch both in Gecko OS. Both games failed to launch in the Disc Channel. In Gecko it still said the DVD was not found.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 12:56AM by numi.
March 11, 2010 12:59AM
What happens when you try to launch the games in the disc channel? The issue certainly is not Gecko OS or Ocarina if the games don't launch from the disc channel.
March 11, 2010 01:02AM
jbc007
What happens when you try to launch the games in the disc channel? The issue certainly is not Gecko OS or Ocarina if the games don't launch from the disc channel.
He already said they can't be launched through the disk channel.
numi
Both games failed to launch in the Disc Channel.
March 11, 2010 01:03AM
In the Disc Channel, the Wii and Gamecube disk spin around like normal, but in a very short amount of time, they stop, rise up and disappear, and then it says the disk could not be read and I should check the Wii operations guide for troubleshooting.

*EDIT*
I highly doubt the disc drive is damaged, too. It worked perfectly fine before I attempted to softmod my Wii. I played it last night, as a matter of fact. Would completely uninstalling Bootmii boot2, The Homebrew Channel, and DVDx via Hackmii fix the disk drive problem and bring me back to how it was before I installed it all?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 01:08AM by numi.
March 11, 2010 01:09AM
WaxyPumpkin72
jbc007
He already said they can't be launched through the disk channel.
numi
Both games failed to launch in the Disc Channel.

Sorry, I missed that.

Your disc drive probably needs to be replaced. If you send it to Nintendo, they will likely repair it for free. However, you must remove all traces of homebrew first. If all you installed is the Homebrew Channel, DVDx and Bootmii, you can remove them with the Hackmii Installer. As long as the Homebrew Channel doesn't appear in the play logs, there is nothing else you need to do before sending it in.

Edit:
numi
I highly doubt the disc drive is damaged, too. It worked perfectly fine before I attempted to softmod my Wii. I played it last night, as a matter of fact. Would completely uninstalling Bootmii boot2, The Homebrew Channel, and DVDx via Hackmii fix the disk drive problem and bring me back to how it was before I installed it all?

Installing the Homebrew Channel, DVDx, or Bootmii would not cause such a problem. If the problem was software related, the disc's banner should appear in the disc channel, but you would have an error sometime after that.

If you want, you can use DOP-Mii to install IOS 36 with fakesigning. Then reinstall the latest versions of all IOSes and system menu 4.2. If the issue is software related, this will fix it. However, this is unlikely. This is unlikely to brick your wii, but you should make a NAND backup first just in case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 01:15AM by jbc007.
March 11, 2010 01:12AM
How is it possible that softmodding it (or attempting to) could have caused the disk drive to corrupt, or go bad, or whatever?

*EDIT*
My Wii was bought only 2 weeks after it was released back in '06. My warranty is long gone.

*EDIT 2*
I uninstalled everything and the disc channel works fine now. Any other thoughts on what I could do to hack this thing?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 01:16AM by numi.
March 11, 2010 01:17AM
numi
How is it possible that softmodding it (or attempting to) could have caused the disk drive to corrupt, or go bad, or whatever?

Probably a coincidence. See the edit on my last post. It explains how you can fix it if it really is software related, though.

numi
My Wii was bought only 2 weeks after it was released back in '06. My warranty is long gone.

I believe Nintendo normally fixes disc drives for free anyway, but I can't guarantee it.

Edit:
numi
I uninstalled everything and the disc channel works fine now. Any other thoughts on what I could do to hack this thing?

That is very odd, I have no idea why that would happen. At least you got it fixed though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 01:19AM by jbc007.
March 11, 2010 01:23AM
Thanks, man. I really appreciate everything you're doing for me. I've got some more interesting updates for you all - After I fixed it by uninstalling it all, I installed everything but BootMii. The DVD Not Found error didn't occur, and the disk booted via the disc channel. Only one problem. When booting via Gecko, it gives me a DSI error with some dumps of hexadecimal code afterwards. Do you know what that is by any chance?

And I planned to back up my NAND anyway, but I don't know how. As I mentioned before I'm a noob to the Wii hacking scene (I only joined it today) and the only experience I have with hacking is the PSP hacking scene. I don't really know what the last post with the fakesigning IOS 36 meant. What would it do?

Second, how do I back up NAND, and how do I restore my Wii with my NAND backup on the off-chance I get a brick?

*EDIT*
Also, if you or someone else could post a step-by-step process of using DOP-Mii or DOP-Mii MOD to fix what you told me to, that would be GREATLY appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 01:44AM by numi.
March 11, 2010 01:55AM
numi
Only one problem. When booting via Gecko, it gives me a DSI error with some dumps of hexadecimal code afterwards. Do you know what that is by any chance?
Make sure you don't have any other external devices plugged into your wii when you launch Gecko OS. That includes USB devices (rockband controller, etc.) and GC devices.

numi
Second, how do I back up NAND, and how do I restore my Wii with my NAND backup on the off-chance I get a brick?
You need bootmii boot2 installed to backup and restore your NAND safely.

numi
Also, if you or someone else could post a step-by-step process of using DOP-Mii or DOP-Mii MOD to fix what you told me to, that would be GREATLY appreciated.
1.) First, launch the app from the HBC.

2.) Next, once the app has loaded, you will be asked to select an IOS to install other IOSs with. Choose IOS36.

3.)You will then be brought to a new screen, in which you can select what IOS you want to install. Choose to install IOS36. You will be asked if you want to apply the fakesigning bug, say yes. You will also be asked to apply NAND Permissions and ES_Identify. Decline those options.

4.)Once that is done, scroll through all of the other IOSs and install the newest version of each one. Also install system menu 4.2.
March 11, 2010 02:05AM
Thanks, man. I do have a USB device and a Gamecube controller plugged in. I'll try it without those. I'll update shortly with the results, and I'll back up my NAND as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 02:36AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
March 11, 2010 02:36AM
Great! I'm glad that I could help out. :)
March 11, 2010 03:21AM
There's a bit of a problem. Once I got everything working (reinstalling everything helped the problem go away.), and I still got the Exception DCI with a few dumps in Gecko, I figured maybe the code was the problem. I ran Mario Kart out of Gecko without the SD Hacks applied. The game started. I figured, okay. Great. Just get a new code. So I did. I made a new file for a new code with the Cheat Manager, then I ended up still getting the DSI Exception error. I figured, fine. F*ck it. Google time. I googled exception error in Gecko, and all I could find was that the particular version wasn't compatible with their Wii. So I got two different versions of Gecko (1.8 and 1.9, rather than I think 1.9.3.). Neither worked. They just loaded the Gecko OS background, (the gecko) and that's it. No menus. Nothing. Any thoughts, guys? I'm getting desperate here, because the only reason I hacked my Wii in the first place was to get some form of either Ocarina or Gecko working so I could hack... I spent literally all day working on this since I got home from school and I don't want to just give up now.

*EDIT*
Okay, here's what happened. I updated all the IOS's through IOS 36 after I allowed the false signing for IOS36. I reinstalled 4.2. I still have the Exception DSI error for Gecko 1.9.3.1. Gecko 1.8 still won't load. Gecko 1.9 says there are no codes on the card. Ocarina loads fine, even after I press A to start, and all that. Once it starts to load the game the whole screen turns a bright green (basically R-0 B-0 G-255 colored.) for a fraction of a second and the screen goes black and my Wiimote disconnects and I need to turn of my Wii. Any thoughts?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 04:23AM by numi.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login