Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I'm the noobiest of them all!

Posted by Jhoo 
I'm the noobiest of them all!
July 19, 2010 01:02AM
Hi there guys!

Not only I'm new to homebrew but... I'm totally new to Wii as well (gosh!). Recently my wife bought a Wii to play with her parents and after some research, I learned about homebrew and got interested. However, I'm still afraid of installing it and maybe bricking the console, so I'm still researching.

My question is: in my Wii, there is an internet channel that supposedly would allow me to browse the web. When I click it, a popup says that there is a new system update available and that I should install it to be able to browse the net (I presume that the browser doesn't come pre-installed). Since I know that updating to 4.3 will block me from other interesting features, I refused. But now I'm wondering: if I ever install homebrew, would it mean that I won't be able to install the browser from that channel?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the (possibly) stupid question.
Re: I'm the noobiest of them all!
July 19, 2010 03:23AM
I'm assuming that you are referring the use of the Wii Shop Channel to install the Internet Channel.

You can install homebrew on your Wii and still download the Interent Channel. There are homebrew tools that allow you to update your Shop Channel without updating to 4.3. Also, when an updated HackMii Installer is released, you will be able to update to 4.3 and still run homebrew easily.
July 20, 2010 12:02AM
Thank you for the answer.

So far I read another ton of information regarding softmoding the wii, it is way more complicated than I thought.
Anyway, do you know if there is any way to block the Wii System Update using a Firewall ? I'm affraid that my wife can accidentally update the wii and was looking forward a way to prevent that.

BTW, do you know if there is any restrictions on the LU81 unit?

Thanks again!
July 20, 2010 04:36AM
Jhoo
Thank you for the answer.

So far I read another ton of information regarding softmoding the wii, it is way more complicated than I thought.
Anyway, do you know if there is any way to block the Wii System Update using a Firewall ? I'm affraid that my wife can accidentally update the wii and was looking forward a way to prevent that.

BTW, do you know if there is any restrictions on the LU81 unit?

Thanks again!

Install Priiloader to block updates

and you can't downgrade IOS versions beyond a certain point on LU81 and have them work (so don't downgrade your system menu IOS... not that you ever should, anyway)
July 20, 2010 05:57AM
cactusjack901
Install Priiloader to block updates

and you can't downgrade IOS versions beyond a certain point on LU81 and have them work (so don't downgrade your system menu IOS... not that you ever should, anyway)

And there starts the confusion in my head... There are so many things that people recommend to install that it is blowing my mind. Bootmi, Hackmii, Priiloader, Neogama, GX Loader, IOS, cIOS... I don't even know which is an IOS, which is a "module" for HBC if that ever exists!

For example, I went to the Priiloader wiki page and there is a huge warning about unexpected problems... How can I figure out what's safe and what's not to install? It is suggested to be installed according to another guide I read - "Softmod for ANY 4.2 Wii!" (don't know if I can link it here, according to forum rules).

My main concern is that the Wii is an already old system and mine is pretty new. I see people commenting on stuff and I'm never sure if those "tweaks" would work on this new unit or if they are just workarounds that worked in the past.
July 20, 2010 11:46AM
cIOS and any type of "backup" or USB Loader are completely against the rules here, please dont mention them again.
July 21, 2010 03:32PM
Jhoo
For example, I went to the Priiloader wiki page and there is a huge warning about unexpected problems... How can I figure out what's safe and what's not to install? It is suggested to be installed according to another guide I read - "Softmod for ANY 4.2 Wii!" (don't know if I can link it here, according to forum rules).
Don't use anything with warnings on WiiBrew.org unless you know what you are doing.

Half the stuff you mention is not allowed here. But this is what you want:
-Homebrew channel (I guess you have it already?)
-Use: [wiibrew.org] DOP-Mii to install the latest shop channel, this methode doesn't require you to upgrade to 4.3, and only upgrades the shop channel (and maybe it can even install the internet channel, so you don't need an upgraded shop channel?)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login