Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bootmii question... Do I need it?

Posted by PromiseThis 
Bootmii question... Do I need it?
September 14, 2010 06:26PM
I am wanting to install Homebrew on my 4.3E Wii with the only intention of playing Fatal Frame 4 with the translation patch. (I stupidly updated...) I understand how to install Homebrew but I was curious about Bootmii, do I need to install it for all I'm wanting to do. I've had a look around but to be honest i'm still clueless as to what it does/how to install it/is it safe and of course do I actually need it?
Re: Bootmii question... Do I need it?
September 14, 2010 09:05PM
No, you do not NEED it. It's nice to have though.
September 14, 2010 10:36PM
If you can install it as Boot2, then do it! Not because you need to, but because you will want to when you learn a little more about it :)

If you can not install it as Boot2, and only as an IOS, it's irrelevant if you install it or not.
September 15, 2010 01:04AM
Ok thank you very much :) I will try and install it as Boot2.
September 16, 2010 10:08PM
Hmmm (i'm very new on Wii Homebrews.. And french -_-') and what are a boot2 install risks?
September 16, 2010 11:45PM
waazdakka
Hmmm (i'm very new on Wii Homebrews.. And french -_-') and what are a boot2 install risks?

There is practically no risk. The installation (firmware writing) into boot2 takes only some milliseconds, and the only risk would be that the electricity goes out during that exact moment. In that very unlikely case, your Wii would end up fully bricked, and impossible to restore.

Other than that, there is no risk. If you are really paranoid about this you can use no-break to provide the power supply to your Wii during boot2 installation :)
September 17, 2010 08:09PM
Axel
In that very unlikely case, your Wii would end up fully bricked, and impossible to restore.

Actually, in this case, it could be fixed with a hardware NAND programmer. Though, to my knowledge, there has only been one unconfirmed case where a wii was bricked by the installation of Bootmii/boot2. In any case, installing Bootmii/boot2 is safer than a system update.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2010 08:10PM by jbc007.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login