Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help me get started (region free stuff)

Posted by Xanth 
Help me get started (region free stuff)
October 14, 2010 07:28PM
Hello, ever since I got my wii 3 years ago I've been interested in the Homebrew channel, now I think it's time :). I have read the wiibrew instructions on wiibrew wiki etc... seems very simple :). Basically the only reason why I want to get Homebrew is because their are some japanese games (Bleach versus Crusade primarily) that I really want to buy and play :). However I do know that wii's are region locked, so ye lol. Anywhoooo I would really appreciate any advice on me getting started, not bricking my wii (lol) and most definitely be able to play Japanese games on my US Wii.

NOTE: My wii version is 4.3 I believe and I have super smash bros brawl so I suppose smashstack is the best way to go :).
Also I was wondering if somebody could link to me a cheap sd card to get from like walmart or something, tyvm!. And lastly I have a 3 year old wii if that makes a difference, I've heard that older wii's seem to like homebrew stuff better lol.

Thank you for reading, I will appreciate all help and advice :D.

Xanth.

EDIT!!!! I just checked my version is 4.2U :O what is the difference in methods that I can use between these two?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2010 04:10AM by Xanth.
Re: Help me get started (region free stuff)
October 14, 2010 08:00PM
Hello,

Playing imports is a good reason to install homebrew, but I'm very sure that after you jump in you will also love all the other stuff you will be able to toy with, like media players, emulators, games, etc.

Ok, first of all: If you are still about to buy a SD card, get a 2GB SD card (not SDHC), because otherwise SMBB will not recognize it. I particularly have been doing great with Kingston SD cards.

After doing that,

1) Download the latest HackMii installer from here: [www.bootmii.org]

2) Put the boot.elf file in the root of your SD card.

3) Follow the tutorials you can find in the WiiBrew Wiki to run SmashStack exploit: [www.wiibrew.org] and [www.wiibrew.org]

3.5) While you install HBC, given you have a 3 years old Wii, you will also be able to install BootMii as Boot2. It is very recommended that you do this. BootMii is a little application that can create backups of your Wii, and restore them later. It is very useful if in the future you happen to accidentally brick your Wii.

4) After you have finished installing HBC, download Gecko OS: [www.wiibrew.org]

5) Put Gecko OS in your SD in the \apps folder and launch it from HBC

6) Gecko OS will run any region games in your Wii :D

Edit: Added point 3.5 :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2010 08:11PM by Axel.
October 14, 2010 08:08PM
Tyvm! I an shocked at how quick and how great of an answer you just gave thank you so much :) I will try that! :D
Also though 1 question. What is the process of loading games with gecko? I guess i'll just experiment myself but ye, is it just like where you start up gecko and put in your import game and it will play it using gecko? If so great and tyvm for the response :D.

Edit: I was wondering if this SD card from walmart is good enough? SanDisk Standard 2GB Secure Digital Card it has 254 reviews on walmart and 5stars lol :) think that might be good :D

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2010 08:12PM by Xanth.
October 14, 2010 08:20PM
Yes, it is as easy as that.

Just launch Gecko OS, insert your Wii import game, and press reset. The game will launch.

Although Gecko OS has additional settings you might want to play with, but is not needed :P

I added point 3.5 to my previous post.
October 14, 2010 08:25PM
Tyvm, you seriously have been a great help :D, today or tomorrow I'll install homebrew and I'll report back with how it went :D.
I won't be able to test an import game since I don't have 1 yet :O, BUT! I shall get Bleach versus crusade soon! W000t! I'm so excited tyvm man! (And yes I did read your point 3.5 very helpful :)).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2010 08:31PM by Xanth.
October 15, 2010 04:12AM
Update! I just found out my version is 4.2U not 4.3U. I know this is a good thing, but lol I'm confused as to what I should do different now? Any input would be nice :).
October 15, 2010 04:50AM
Used bannerbomb on my 4.2, but things have changed and now don't know if you can still get bannerbomb and use it, which I think you can. Check on wiibrew.org there is the ways to hack it there or try I think hackmii.com
October 15, 2010 04:56AM
ight so use bannerbombv2 instead of smashstack sounds good :). Btw what are some other things about 4.3 that aren't good? that I should be grateful that I'm 4.2? Well anyway ty :).
October 15, 2010 05:02AM
The system menu revision really does not make much difference. 4.2 and 4.3 serve no purpose except to remove homebrew, yet neither has much actual effect on homebrew. Anyway, you still could use Smash Stack if you want, but Bannerbomb is probably easier.
October 15, 2010 05:02AM
Nothing is bad about 4.3 just a attempt to block HBC but TT made a workaround and beat there attempt, 4.2 was also a attempt at blocking HBC, 4.1 was the best to stay on, it had the sdhc card support, anything after that is just to try and block HBC.
October 15, 2010 05:04AM
Oh ok I see so basically no point in me updating to 4.3 really but nothing to benefit from not either lol :D well tyvm :).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2010 05:04AM by Xanth.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login