Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Upgrading from to 4.3 from 3.x

Posted by mpascall 
Upgrading from to 4.3 from 3.x
October 31, 2010 06:48PM
I've received an unmodified wii with menu version 3.0 or 3.1, and I've installed the latest version of HBC and bootmii. Now I'm considering upgrading to 4.3 because I can't get Netflix to work on it.

I'm hesitant at doing an official update only because I see how several people seem to want to downgrade, which I know can be difficult or dangerous. So my question is, are there good reasons why I would not want to upgrade to 4.2? Are there homebrew features that I'd lose by upgrading?

I've read through many threads and the wiki trying to discover a reason why I shouldn't upgrade. Since the latest version of HBC works fine in 4.3, I can't come up with one.

Thanks,
-Marcus

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2010 06:57PM by mpascall.
Re: Upgrading from to 4.3 from 3.x
October 31, 2010 10:38PM
You don't need to downgrade its a bad idea if you do. Install HBC, make sure its the latest version and then update to 4.3.
October 31, 2010 11:42PM
You certainly could update if you want. Bootmii/boot2 will be removed by the update, but it can be reinstalled. Additionally, all homebrew that relies on fakesigning will no longer work. This includes most applications that make any sort of modification to the wii, and a few others. Since there is no benefit to updating, you could launch the disc through Gecko OS or patch the system menu with Starfall, Priiloader, or StartPatch to remove the disc update check.

Of course, if you would rather just update, go ahead. It has minimal affect on homebrew, at least if you don't use applications that rely on fakesigning. The biggest reason not to update is that there is no benefit to doing so.
November 01, 2010 06:31PM
Thanks for the info. I found this page useful too: [wiibrew.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login