Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Min SD card size

Posted by Xanth 
Min SD card size
October 31, 2010 06:51PM
Hey guys I was wondering what the minimum SD card size is for installing homebrew channel with bootmii ty :).
Re: Min SD card size
October 31, 2010 07:54PM
256MB as your card needs to be at least that big to be formatted to FAT. However, at least 1GB is recommended.
October 31, 2010 11:45PM
Ah so I won't be able to use a 512mb to install homebrew and bootmii dang I heard homebrew is like 20mb and the bootmii nand backup and all that is like 500-600mb. So I guess I'll have to use a 1gb or a 2gb sd card :(. Only reason why I asked is because I already have a 512mb so it would save 15bucks XD anyways tyvm for responding :).
November 01, 2010 12:43AM
You can install homebrew [and BootMii] fine with a 512mb card, but yes you'd need a larger card for a NAND backup.
November 01, 2010 12:48AM
K tyvm :) I suppose I'll just buy a 2gb memory card tomorrow :) might as well cause I want the NAND backup :D tyvm for the help guys :). Btw which would u prefer? Sandisk 2gb or Kingston 2gb SD card. I know they both work but iunno if their is a more preferable 1 :).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2010 12:49AM by Xanth.
November 01, 2010 04:46PM
Both of them are fully compatible with the Wii and none should give you any issue.

Particularly my SD cards are 2 GB Kingston. It is just a matter of more confidence to the brand, and I also read somewhere a long time ago that Sandisk SD cards are a bit slower (of course that might have changed by now).
November 07, 2010 01:50AM
Xanth
Ah so I won't be able to use a 512mb to install homebrew and bootmii dang I heard homebrew is like 20mb and the bootmii nand backup and all that is like 500-600mb. So I guess I'll have to use a 1gb or a 2gb sd card :(. Only reason why I asked is because I already have a 512mb so it would save 15bucks XD anyways tyvm for responding :).

I used two SD cards to install homebrew on my console AND do a NAND backup. Following the 4.3 SoftMod guide on Wiihacks.com, I got a little stuck when it came to the NAND backup as Bootmii politely informed me that the SD card I was using was insufficient in capacity. I was using an old Jessops half-gigger, not realising that it would require so much space. As I was running Bootmii off the system memory via the HBC I figured I'd be safe to just pop the SD card out and plug a higher capacity card in.

After the backup I transferred the data from both cards to my computer - placing them together and double-backing them up elsewhere so I can rescue my Wii in the unlikely event of a brick.

I'm not sure if you can do this is you are running an older Wii console and have installed Bootmii as "boot2" - my head tells me that you'll be running Bootmii off the SD card currently plugged in if you are. I'm probably wrong however, as I am a complete newbie and have only just installed homebrew for the first time after purchasing my first Wii console for the the first time two weeks ago. I borrowed a copy of Lego Indiana Jones from my girlfriend's younger preteen brothers. It was a little scratched but it worked fine and I was thankful not to have to shell out 30 or 40 quid on eBay to obtain a copy!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login