Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

what applications can run from usb harddrive

Posted by smeesmay 
what applications can run from usb harddrive
November 29, 2010 07:51PM
I have a usb harddrive with a Fat32 file system attached to my wii. Which programs from wiibrew will run soley from this harddrive without the need to be on a sd card. My sd card is full and I'm wanting to add a metronome amoungst other homebrew apps. Thanks
Re: what applications can run from usb harddrive
November 29, 2010 08:52PM
Many apps support being run from the USB drive, just make a folder called "apps" on the root and put apps there the same as you would on an SD card.
November 29, 2010 08:54PM
thanks, now do you know if all the emulators support this? I'm fairly certain the homebrew has to run from the sd but if I put mp3's on the usb in the fat32 partition can I play those in the WiiMC app if its running from SD?
November 29, 2010 09:09PM
homebrew can run from USB, and yes WiiMC supports USB, as do many emulators, in particular I am fairly sure all Tantric's emulators support USB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2010 09:09PM by SifJar.
November 29, 2010 09:18PM
do you know how large a fat32 partition i can make to house all these apps and music? i am running 100gig now but have 1tb to work with
November 29, 2010 09:30PM
another question. Everything is on my sd card. If I copy everything to the usb harddrive will i have to create new paths for homebrew or the emulators. I know that everything now is on the sd and there are channels for a couple of the emulators.and I know how to copy and paste all this to the usb root of the Fat32 partition I created. What I do not know is how the WII will recognize this is now on the usb and not on the sd card. I plan on leaving the Homebrew running on sd and everything else on the usb. Please help....
November 29, 2010 09:59PM
forwarder channels may not work with USB, but for everything else copying and pasting should do the trick. Dunno about sizes, I'd have thought 100GB should be more than enough for some homebrew.
November 29, 2010 11:07PM
ok one other question. I want to download a couple of the homebrew games from the wiibrew site. once downloaded where (what folder etc) do i stick these to play them? Also do I need the source?
November 29, 2010 11:17PM
No source is needed to play them, thats just for developers who want to look at other peoples games for help, or to try and help them remove bugs or whatever.

Just make a folder within your "apps" folder for the game, and put the boot.dol, meta.xml and icon.png inside that folder, same as with emulators etc.

i.e., it should be like this:

SD:/apps/name_of_game/boot.dol, icon.png and meta.xml

(where it says "SD", that is to represent the letter of your SD card, or USB drive)
November 30, 2010 03:06PM
havin more trouble. Seems that both the genplus and wii64 app are not working properly. I have put each in apps folder on sd and usb drive. Neither will create a rom/save folder like tantrics great products. the instructions state to create the folders on the root of drive which has been done to no avail. I cannot seem to get these folders to show up inside the program. when i try to download the latest version of genplus i get the last binary release but its just an unknown file type. Do i need to put this file somewhere??
November 30, 2010 03:49PM

Seems that both the genplus and wii64 app are not working properly. I have put each in apps folder on sd and usb drive. Neither will create a rom/save folder like tantrics great products. the instructions state to create the folders on the root of drive which has been done to no avail.

genplus does not create any /roms folder, it will look by default at sd:/genplus/roms (or usb:/genplus/roms if you load from USB) and if not found, it will automatically look at the root of the device for ROM files. Last directory is automatically saved for each device (SD/USB/DVD) so really, you can put your ROM files wherever you want, next time you try to load a game, the emulator will automatically go to the last accessed directory.

/genplus/saves, /genplus//cheats , /genplus/snaps and /genplus/config.ini are automatically created by emulator on the first run, if not found.

Those files & directories are created on the default FAT device, which is SD if a SD card is inserted, USB otherwise

get the last binary release but its just an unknown file type. Do i need to put this file somewhere??

go here and download the last binary release (1.4.0). Uncompress that file using 7zip and copy the /apps directory that is extracted on your SD card. Be sure to read the user manual (genplus.pdf) as well

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2010 03:51PM by ekeeke.
November 30, 2010 04:01PM
thats my issue, I have created a roms and saves folder inside the genplus folder in the apps folder on usb. Error loading. So then i tried straight genplus folder on root (not in apps) and put the roms folder in there. still no luck, It does not let me go out and search for it in the genplus program so I am kinda stuck. same for wii64. i saw there was a usb2 patch someone created will that solve this issue?
November 30, 2010 04:20PM
if there is an error message then the emulator can not found your USB device, it does not matter where you have put your ROM files, if the drive can not be mounted, it's helpless

here are some stuff you can check :

Current version will fail to mount the USB device if the application is loaded from USB by the Homebrew Channel so you have to launch the emulator from SD.

You need to use the last official build as stated in my previous message, other versions (with the old interface) are outdated and does not support USB2 drives

Lastly, you need IOS58 installed and running in HBC: if your other emulators are loading from USB fine then it probably means this is already ok but you'd better check the IOS that HBC is using by hitting the HOME button in HBC and report the IOS version in top-right corner
November 30, 2010 04:25PM
just got last built sorry, didn't know i had to have 7zip to open it. will try again. When i do unzip just delete old genplus totally and put this in intstead?
November 30, 2010 06:01PM
[www.wiibrew.org]
you need to replace both boot.dol & meta.xml files in /apps/genplus, icon.png as well if you want.

you might also want to delete old config file (/genplus/config.ini) for a fresh start and old state files (/genplus/saves/*.gpz) since they are not compatible anymore.
November 30, 2010 06:10PM
btw, you are talking to the author of those emus (ekeeke), so you are getting the best help you could ever had dreamt of :)

Thanks ekeeke for sticking around often.
November 30, 2010 06:17PM
THANKS. I saw that i was talking to the Master(system)ha ha himself. The help is sure appreciated. I'll try the fixes tonight. still not sure about the wii64 but thats another day another time. I feel as though I am putting the files where they go. Does the newest wii64 support the usb2 also?
November 30, 2010 06:50PM
Axel
btw, you are talking to the author of those emus (ekeeke), so you are getting the best help you could ever had dreamt of :)

Thanks ekeeke for sticking around often.

No problem. With tehskeen being closed, there is no support forum anymore and reading user feedback & problems has always been interesting and a good practice. I try to make this app as user friendly as possible but I guess there is always room for improvment.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2010 06:51PM by ekeeke.
November 30, 2010 11:50PM
smeesmay
Does the newest wii64 support the usb2 also?

I think not, wii64 has not been updated in a long time.

ekeeke
With tehskeen being closed, there is no support forum anymore

Yeah, I also migrated from Tehskeen to here :)

I miss that place, both Tantric and you were very active there. Brakken always did a great work. I know a lot of people miss that place too.
December 01, 2010 03:20PM
found an updated dol file someone created themselves on wiihacks forum for wii64. It supports usb2.0. worked like a dream. and on the genplus not sure what i downloaded but its working under the genesisplus homebrew icon, but not the genplus icon. go figure but it works so I'm not complaining. Thanks for the great emu work. top notch
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login