Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Version of Wii OS for new Wiis

Posted by ambiguousphoton 
Version of Wii OS for new Wiis
January 04, 2011 12:41AM
Hi Everyone!
So I have been reading a lot about homebrewing and I am ready to go and make the plunge and go buy a Wii. I see that the latest version of the wii software makes it harder to homebrew so I certainly won't update, but I'm curious if I can figure out which version of wii software a certain wii will have in the store. I know best buy for example sells these white and black wiis with the motion plus in them (both integrated and a plug in.) Would I expect that they would have the 4.2 or 4.3 software? I want to know if I need to pick up a copy of smashbrothers or if I can just use the bannerbomb exploit.
Thanks!

PS- I'm wondering if someone can clear something up for me. When I look in the FAQ there is a question: "Will installing the homebrew channel hurt (brick) my Wii?" and the response is that they have never seen a wii bricked but if it does then it isn't homebrew's fault. If bricking is so rare, why is there a whole forum section with people whining about bricking their wiis? It says that you run into issues when installing bad things, but I don't understand why these bad things even exist. Are they like the wii equivalent of a virus where its just someone who wants to ruin someone's day or is it more that someone is installing the wrong version of something (like US vs another region) or installing to the wrong part of the NAND? Are there golden rules I can apply so that I can scrutinize any guides I find?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2011 01:22AM by ambiguousphoton.
Re: Version of Wii OS for new Wiis
January 04, 2011 11:42PM
All new wii's are running 4.3 and have a disk drive that cannot read DVD's, only original wii disks. Also you won't be able to install Bootmii as boot2. You will need a copy of Super Smash Bros.(USA only), or Lego indiana Jones(Anywhere). You don't have to own the games, but instead you can just rent them if you want. You only need the game for a couple minutes.

Anything that involves a cIOS or a WAD is bad. Everything that you find on the wiki is is safe, except for a few apps, but those are explicetly marked.
The reason people get bricked is because they install cIOS's or WAD's, and don't know what they are doing. They may follow some random guide to try to play pirated games, and something goes wrong and you have a bricked wii. If you want to get a good guide to installing homebrew go here.
As for a golden rule, stay away from cIOS's and WAD's, and don't fool with appications that dangerous unless you know what you are doing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2011 11:46PM by g_man.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login