Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need verification on a few questions

Posted by Beauski 
Need verification on a few questions
January 05, 2011 07:29AM
Hello I am relatively new to this whole homebrew dealio I'm pretty sure I have the rough idea of how to install it and what it can do but would like verification from people with more experience and maybe answer a question or two I would appreciate it.

I'm on 4.3E (I live in Australia) so most likely I'm going to have to do the indiana pwns way?
As most my main concern is bricking my wii. I bought my wii in 2007 so its quite old but does this mean it more then likely has boot2 (for bootmii) and is this the best protection against bricking my wii (or backing it up for when/if it bricks)

My end goal is to install SNES/N64 Emulators on my wii so I can play Donkey Kong/Zelda series + more. I assume this is possible.

Thanks in advance for any help much appreciated.
Re: Need verification on a few questions
January 05, 2011 07:56AM
1) Yes it is very likely but there is another option involving a yu-gi-oh! game, check it out here.

2) Yes again, you may be able to install bootmii as boot2 which is the best brick protection one can have but it only works if you make a backup before the wii bricks so you have a "restore point" to which you can go back.

3) Of course you can use emulators, check this page for a list of the ones available.
January 05, 2011 08:07AM
Ok sweet thanks a bunch mate, also is there a video or written article on backing up your wii with bootmii/boot2 I can't really find anything on youtube about it.

Again thank you very informative.
January 05, 2011 07:23PM
This is the bootmii screen, the SD card must be inserted before powering on the wii and must have the bootmii folder in it so you can access the menu.

Now back to the screen, select the fourt option (the one with the mesh), this will take you to a screen with four more options, the one you need to do a backup is the first (the chip with a green arrow pointing to an SD) select it and the backup will start (make sure your SD has at least 512 mb of free space.

Wait untill the backup finishes and then you can move the files that the backup generated from the SD to a computer

Sorry I couldn't find a video (the ones youtube has also include links to/mention fail packs that can harm a wii)
but I hope the instructions I wrote here are helpful.
January 05, 2011 07:35PM
Here's a video: Doesn't seem to have any fail (if anyone notices some please notify me immediately) [www.youtube.com]

It doesn't show the ENTIRE process (starts at the second menu in BootMii, once you have already selected the "mesh" icon.

To navigate the BootMii menu, you must use either a Gamecube controller or the front buttons on the Wii. The Wii Remote does NOT work in BootMii. Use the Power button to scroll and the Reset button to select things (I think)
January 06, 2011 07:33AM
So I need bootmii folder on the sd card and put into the wii before I turn it on, go to the mesh then the green option wait for it to backup and the backup nand will be on the sd card for me to put on the computer and store just incase?

Thank you to you both, very helpful information.
January 07, 2011 05:41PM
Beauski
So I need bootmii folder on the sd card and put into the wii before I turn it on, go to the mesh then the green option wait for it to backup and the backup nand will be on the sd card for me to put on the computer and store just incase?

Thank you to you both, very helpful information.

And use the Red option to restore, but this should only be used as a last resort bar opening your Wii, manually flashing the NAND chip, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2011 05:41PM by metroid_maniac.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login