Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

An honest question

Posted by froggydad84 
An honest question
June 22, 2011 06:12AM
I have an honest question, mainly due to my lack of knowledge about the Wii. The question is: Is it possible to use a USB thumb drive instead of a SD card to install the homebrew channel? Not to do anything but install the homebrew channel, as I don't condone or do illegal activities.

The reason I ask mainly is that SD cards are a bit expensive and I have tons of usb thumb drives laying around. I want to be able to play some of the cool games you can download off the homebrew channel on top of the other neat things homebrew offers.

I know that my Wii at one point in time had an SD card that had the homebrew channel on it, but my wife needed it for her camera as initially borrowed it from her without her permission (but that's another story for another day)

If my question is part of this forums "illegal activities" I sincerely apologize as I earlier stated I don't know much about Wii's. But I would kindly ask to know why the question is considered illegal, and if/why it either is or isnt possible to install the homebrew channel via a USB thumb drive.

Thanks

Froggydad84
Re: An honest question
June 22, 2011 08:02AM
Your question is fine, you need to use an SD card to install the homebrew channel. If you already have the HBC you can load applications from USB. I don't see how you had the HBC on an SD card, you install it on the Wii...

EDIT: typo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2011 08:03AM by bg4545.
Re: An honest question
July 01, 2011 10:26AM
the answer to the 'why' you cant use a thumb drive is because of the lack of usb support in officially licensed software.

to install homebrew, you must exploit some of the officially licensed code to allow running some sort of homebrew code. these exploits include a custom stage ( smash stack ), a custom channel banner ( banner bomb ), and custom game saves ( all the other exploits ). the smash brothers game only supports saving & loading stages/replays/snapshots to an SD card. the system menu only supports copying save data and channels from an SD card. if either smash bros or the system menu supported loading content from a thumb drive, then it would be possible to use that thumb drive to hack the wii.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login