Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reading suggestions?

Posted by Bomber 
Reading suggestions?
April 14, 2009 05:25PM
I am very interested in the Wii scene. I would love to learn more about how the Wii works, how to code on the Wii, ect. What articles do you suggest reading or videos to watch? I believe I watched the 25C3 Wii Fail videos, where Team Twiizers did a demo of the inside workings of the Wii and such.

Thanks in advanced.
Re: Reading suggestions?
April 14, 2009 06:05PM
glad you are interested!

I suggest starting here:

[wiibrew.org]
April 14, 2009 07:34PM
Awesome, thanks!

Sucks I have to learn C or C++, already learning VB6 in school. Do you know of any tutorials I could follow, or any eBooks? Thanks.
April 14, 2009 07:57PM
Arikado knows a few...

from what I know, programming shares a similar logic about them, once you get that (in VB6) then you just need to know the coding of C++
April 14, 2009 09:19PM
DrLucky
Arikado knows a few...

from what I know, programming shares a similar logic about them, once you get that (in VB6) then you just need to know the coding of C++

Hmmm, should be easier than I thought then. I'll ask him for some information.
April 20, 2009 12:45AM
For learning strictly C++; The book "C++ in 21 days" is definitely the best way to go. Since you already know VB, you should already have a good handle on how code (in general) works and how compiling works. It'll probably come easier to you than you think.

Of course, once you know C++, you'll probably want to start displaying 2D images onscreen and making games and that sort of thing. We have developer libraries (code) to assist you with that when you're ready. They all have extensive documentation and should be easy to use with even a basic knowledge of C++.

Good luck!

BTW, always feel free to shoot me up some questions via PM if you ever have any.
April 21, 2009 02:25AM
Arikado
For learning strictly C++; The book "C++ in 21 days" is definitely the best way to go. Since you already know VB, you should already have a good handle on how code (in general) works and how compiling works. It'll probably come easier to you than you think.

Of course, once you know C++, you'll probably want to start displaying 2D images onscreen and making games and that sort of thing. We have developer libraries (code) to assist you with that when you're ready. They all have extensive documentation and should be easy to use with even a basic knowledge of C++.

Good luck!

BTW, always feel free to shoot me up some questions via PM if you ever have any.

Awesome thanks! I tried the book 'Java in 21 days' also, was good. Ill get started on it this weekend I guess, have school projects and stuff to work on. Ill pm you if I have any questions.
April 21, 2009 05:47AM
awesome! thats amazing do you take computing classes?!
are you in collage or something?
April 21, 2009 04:16PM
kydo

If you're asking me, yes I take computer classes. Though I'm not in college, I'm in grade 11 :P
April 21, 2009 09:07PM
kydo
No, I'm self taught and in my second year of highschool. My school offers no programming courses but a handful of low level (gate level) electronics classes which I've already blown through. After highschool I plan to go to college for a computer programming degree (actually I think its called computer science).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2009 09:08PM by Arikado.
April 25, 2009 02:19AM
Arikado
kydo
No, I'm self taught and in my second year of highschool. My school offers no programming courses but a handful of low level (gate level) electronics classes which I've already blown through. After highschool I plan to go to college for a computer programming degree (actually I think its called computer science).

it's called Computer Science around here...
April 28, 2009 05:46AM
Thanks for the resources and tips as well! Just like Bomber, I too, am very interested in the Wii scene. I've just started reading things like 'Learn C in 21 Days' and stuff and I might want to take this down a serious career path. Unlike you guys, I'm in college and don't know exactly what to do with my life. Thanks to things like Ocarina and Gecko OS, I think that I have re-sparked my interest for programming that I had in high school. Arikado, is it cool if I PM you with any questions as well? Additionally, is computer science what I should start taking in college?
April 28, 2009 09:20PM
nintendude
Arikado, is it cool if I PM you with any questions as well?
Of course. Just be aware it sometimes takes me a day or two to answer more involved PMs. (Usually not though. I'm just kinda busy lately :S)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login