Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Homebrew on 4.0u (not as straight forward as you're thinking)

Posted by vwpanda 
Homebrew on 4.0u (not as straight forward as you're thinking)
May 03, 2009 07:40AM
So I just got back into playing with my Wii and decided I was going to install the new(to me) Homebrew channel. I didn't research thoroughly enough and made the mistake of updating my console to 4.0u before beginning.

But, I have the proof-of-concept homebrew channel. The one with the time limit on it. If I take the 1.0.1 boot.dol and rename it as boot.elf and put it in the root of my sdcard and start the channel, I get an installer. Unfortunately the installer fails. I'm not sure if this is fixable or not but I seem to have more access than I would without the channel I have.

So, is there anything I can do to get this working fully? I also have a modchip installed if that helps anything.
Re: Homebrew on 4.0u (not as straight forward as you're thinking)
May 03, 2009 08:15AM
I am also able to run "Wii Homebrew Launcher" using the Wii Homebrew Channel Loader(which is the actual channel that got installed by twilight hack long ago). The HB Launcher has a WAD manager, I'm not sure if that helps at all.

I only have 4 minutes left on the channel loader, so I don't want to play around too much until I have something that I can load permanently.

Edit: just tried using the WAD manager to actually install the homebrew launcher channel - it fails just like the Homebrew Channel. So, it appears that the 4.0 software may be preventing WADs from being installed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2009 08:40AM by vwpanda.
May 03, 2009 01:33PM
Not quite.

The bug used by all custom NAND software is the Trucha bug, which allows people to fake signatures. This has been blocked by Nintendo, so software that required Trucha signing while operating (WAD Installer, HBC installer) will no longer work. For some reason, installed Trucha signed software still works. In any case, the bug was fixed completely as of 3.4, but Team Twiizers found a way around it. (Waninkoko did not, so WAD Installer does not work any more.) All but one known bug was fixed in 4.0.
May 04, 2009 06:13AM
Well, I had something sort of working, but I ruined it.

I was reading online and found this one post somewhere with a file with the homebrew channel so you can just load it from an SD card with the new little menu thing. Like if you already had homebrew installed and delete it, there's some little file saved still and you're able to put it back on the Wii.

So, I threw the file on an SD card, put it in the Wii and open the channel from SD and it starts booting and I get an error cannot find boot.elf. So I figured "well since that pretty much worked, let me delete the channel that's there and put this one straight on." I tried that and it wont let me copy it over or run it from SD anymore.

So, I probably could have had something working(It may have just been running the installed old alpha channel though) but now I have nothing. :(
May 05, 2009 02:41PM
If you have had the channel installed before you upgraded to 4.0 you can get it running off the sd card, so get the same version of hbc that you installed before, and you should be able to use that to downgrade your IOSs and then downgrade your system menu
May 05, 2009 10:17PM
I don't know what version I had. When you opened the channel, all it did was run whatever boot.elf was in the root of the SD card. So, some early version.

Isn't there something I could run from a disc to do a downgrade? The big issue seems to be the inability to install unsigned code - I should still be able to run anything I want from a disc, right(I have a drive chip)?

Edit: after some further research, I've determined I had 0.1 alpha 3
So, I downloaded its installer rzde/data.bin and boot.elf but that's not what i actually need because that still wont work. I need the actual channel to put on the SD card to load.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2009 10:27PM by vwpanda.
May 06, 2009 12:13AM
the discs won't work because they blocked trucha discs back in 3.3, so EVEN with a chip, it won't run...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login