Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is a NAND?

Posted by drchink 
What is a NAND?
May 14, 2009 02:53AM
can someone explain to me wat a NAND is? i see these NAND installers and uninstallers but i dont even no wat they are. thanks
Re: What is a NAND?
May 14, 2009 03:28AM
NAND is the kind of chipdesign mostly used for creating flash-memory, memory that does not need power to hold its contents.

The Wii's internal memory is of that kind. "NAND" became the synonym for the Wii's internal memory, especially when it is accessed in raw form, without the aid of any helper function (from Nintendo).
May 14, 2009 12:40PM
To add to that, we use the term NAND because the Wiis NAND is made up of tons of NAND logic gates. A NAND (or Not AND) logic gate is an electronic gate that outputs a high when at least one of its inputs are low, and outputs a low only when all of its inputs are high.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2009 04:59PM by Arikado.
May 14, 2009 02:04PM
Arikado
To add to that, we use the term NAND because the Wiis NAND is made up of tons of NAND logic gates. A NAND (or Not AND) logic gate is an electronic gate that outputs a high only when all of its inputs are low, and outputs a low only when all of its inputs are high.

nope, that would make it undefined when one input is high and the other is low.

The truth table for NAND is:

A      B      NAND(A,B)
-------------------------
F      F            T
T      F            T
F      T            T
T      T            F

(sorry for being pedantic :) )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2009 02:05PM by musicinstinct.
May 14, 2009 04:58PM
Ah, you're right. I type too fast :P I've edited my original comment.
May 17, 2009 08:10PM
High's and Low's, on's and off's....bloody binary!!!! (Tears a little hair out)
May 18, 2009 03:17AM
NAND flash memory is not actually based on NAND logic gates, but NAND flash cells act like NAND gates. There is also NOR flash, by the way.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login