Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Installing HackMii

Posted by billsfan444 
Installing HackMii
May 14, 2009 10:47PM
Hello again, I just read that HackMii was released, and I'm trying to install it, but I'm having some problems, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
So I am currently using Bannerbomb on my Version 4.0 Wii, and I have the Homebrew channel installed. And I have the HackMii download file downloaded.
This is how I'm trying to install it: I am putting the 'hackmii_installer' folder in the apps folder of my SD card. Then I go into Data Management>Channels and load my usual .bin file. I go into my apps folder and try selecting "installer_beta1.elf" but all it does is freeze after that point.
Am I doing something wrong here? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I looked around, and it says on HackMii's website that "We recommend launching BootMii installer through the Homebrew Channel, if you are capable of running homebrew" I can run homebrew, so how on earth do I use the installer in the homebrew channel?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2009 10:52PM by billsfan444.
Re: Installing HackMii
May 14, 2009 11:39PM
Put the hackmii installer inside any folder, and then put that folder in your apps folder, that way the homebrew channel can see it. Lastly, change the name of the ELF file to 'boot.elf'.

Also, now that you have the homebrew channel, there's no need for bannerbomb. You can ditch it if you like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2009 11:40PM by Kage52124.
May 14, 2009 11:53PM
ok thanks again Kage! I'm going to try that ASAP. I would get rid of bannerbomb, but I don't know how to get rid of it...

edit: wait, so I'm finding the boot.elf in the actual homebrew channel? where exactly am I supposed to find that there? I'm just seeing a big list of apps i can download... nothing from my sd card. Is the homebrew Browser the same thing as Homebrew Channel?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2009 12:01AM by billsfan444.
May 15, 2009 12:03AM
The homebrew channel needs files to be inside the apps folder something like this: "//apps/folder/boot.elf" If you have the Hackmii installer, just rename it to boot.elf and make it look like that.
May 15, 2009 12:05AM
yeah I did that, but it just freezes my Wii. But I'm trying to open it up with LoadMii. When I'm in my Homebrew Browser I can't find that file anywheres.
May 15, 2009 12:06AM
Wait wait, you're trying to use loadmii? I thought you said that you were able to install the Homebrew Channel.
May 15, 2009 12:09AM
uhhh..... Well i can get the Homebrew Browser up when I open it with loadmii... something is telling me the Homebrew channel & browser are different things??
May 15, 2009 12:18AM
kage, i just installed the homebrew channel using hackmii, so dis-regard what I just wrote. Now that I have the homebrew channel, do I have any use for bannerbomb anymore?
May 15, 2009 12:18AM
For starters, The Homebrew Channel is an actual channel. [www.wiibrew.org] The Homebrew Browser, however, is an app (like LoadMii) that can be run by the The Homebrew Channel.
May 15, 2009 12:19AM
billsfan444
kage, i just installed the homebrew channel using hackmii, so dis-regard what I just wrote. Now that I have the homebrew channel, do I have any use for bannerbomb anymore?
Nope. Unless you accidently lose your homebrew channel of course. Then you'll need to use Bannerbomb to reinstall it.
May 15, 2009 12:21AM
billsfan444
uhhh..... Well i can get the Homebrew Browser up when I open it with loadmii... something is telling me the Homebrew channel & browser are different things??
They are.

Thinking you want to give this a go.
1. Launch loadmii via bannerbomb
2. When loadmii loads, do not touch the wiimote until it powers off. (supposed to resolve a bug with input dying)
3. Power up the wiimote again, and navigate to the Hackmii Installer elf.
4. After that loads, try installing the homebrew channel from the Hackmii installer.
5. Reboot, then follow the instructions in the first reply. (Loading Hackmii installer from Homebrew Channel)
May 15, 2009 12:25AM
okay okay okay, i finally have everything working properly. after 5 straight days of trying stuff, i finally figured it out. kage, you kick serious ass. thank you. have a cookie. *e-cookie*
May 15, 2009 12:29AM
I am the REAL cookie monster!!! Thank you. Don't forget to thank Arikado and PhoenixTank!
May 15, 2009 12:47AM
yeah, thats true. they were great too. but you helped me the most, that's why you got the cookie.
May 15, 2009 05:07AM
My one post was so helpful. Honestly not bothered unless I've helped you in other threads before, and in which case, I want my share of the cookie Kage!
I also need to test that trick from step 2 to see if it actually works...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login