Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How EXACTLY do you install Homebrew Channel on 4.0?

Posted by teebonesy 
How EXACTLY do you install Homebrew Channel on 4.0?
May 14, 2009 11:39PM
So I've been trying to puzzle this out for a little while now. I've been looking through wiibrew.org trying to figure this out, and have hit a wall.

Here's what I understand to be necessary, and please set me straight if I'm wrong:

With version 4.0, you MUST do the following to install Homebrew Channel:

1. Use bannerbomb exploit to run Hackmii installer.
2. ...??
3. Profit! (ie, install Homebrew Channel)

What I don't understand is this: The Hackmii installer is a boot.elf, correct? And the Homebrew channel is a boot.dol... correct?

So what do I do with the Bannerbomb exploit in order to get the HBC onto my Wii if I have TWO boot files? and wiibrew.org is telling me I HAVE to use the hackmii installer to get HBC working! Whaa? where does that HBC boot.dol go? How do I get that sweet goodness in me?

Another confusion: When I unzip the Hackmii Installer beta zip, the Readme mentions NOTHING about "hackmii installer", and only talks about "Bootmii". Now, from what I've read, BootMii is new, relatively untested, and only for experts. In other words, not exactly something I thought I'd be having to deal with. Is BootMii just another term for Hackmii Installer? Am I in over my head and should I just wait until a better installation method is available? I'm not following this.

I'd like to end up with the Homebrew channel and homebrew browser permanently on my wii, so I can load them right up from the menu without having to run any exploits. Is this possible at this point?

If so, can anyone be so kind as to give me BABY steps to get there? (I'm clearly as newbly as they come here).
Re: How EXACTLY do you install Homebrew Channel on 4.0?
May 14, 2009 11:43PM
You don't have to install BootMii if you're not comfortable. The ELF file that you downloaded from hackmii is an installer that includes dvdx, homebrew channel 1.0.2 and bootmii, so all you really have to do is use bannerbomb to load the elf file (remember to name it boot.elf in the root of your SD card), and from there install the homebrew channel.

Hope that's baby enough for now ;-).
May 14, 2009 11:43PM
Just launch the Hackmii Installer with Bannerbomb. With the Hackmii installer, you can then install the HBC, DVDX, and/or Bootmii (beta). No other boot.dol/elf files required.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2009 11:43PM by Arikado.
May 14, 2009 11:44PM
LOLZ I beat you again Arikado :-D
May 14, 2009 11:44PM
Kewl, that means I dont have to watch this section of the forum anymore ;)
May 14, 2009 11:46PM
Oh NOES!!! What is this? Dumping it all on me :-P.
May 14, 2009 11:53PM
Aaaah... That makes this whole thing a hell of a lot easier than I expected (it's definitely baby enough for me). Thank you all very much - I'm off to do this, and will drop a line here when I succeed/fail.

EDIT: Yes, yes, that was the easiest thing in the world. If I wasn't afraid of automatically putting BootMii onto my Wii and bricking the damn thing, i would have attempted it and seen for myself that the whole process was quite self-explanatory.

That said, a note on the wiibrew.org directions here explaining this would have been handy for me, and likely others of the Nube clan.

Thanks again to all!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2009 12:00AM by teebonesy.
May 15, 2009 02:09AM
Arikado
Just launch the Hackmii Installer with Bannerbomb. With the Hackmii installer, you can then install the HBC, DVDX, and/or Bootmii (beta). No other boot.dol/elf files required.

Does this still apply if we have a complete exploitable virgin 4.0U ?

Thanks
May 15, 2009 02:37AM
BigAl
Arikado

Does this still apply if we have a complete exploitable virgin 4.0U ?

Thanks
Yes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login