Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WiiConnect24/ Zelda OOT VC Corruption and Save Extraction?

Posted by ayojoe13 
WiiConnect24/ Zelda OOT VC Corruption and Save Extraction?
May 20, 2009 02:37AM
Recently I've been have minor problems with my Wii, and I was wondering what I should do, since I know there are a lot of smart and trustful people here.

1. First, WiiConnect24 Standby Connection freezes my Wii upon start up and requires me to unplug my Wii several times to have it work. My temp solution to that is just turning the WiiConnect24 (Standby) off, but I'm kind of disappointed that I can't use a somewhat useful feature on my Wii. I've been told before that it's a heating problem, though I've left it off the standby connection for a few days, put it back on for an hour or two and the problem ensued again, just to test it.

2. My secondary problem would be my corrupted Zelda OOT VC Game (bought off Wii Shop Channel) not working and causing problems with the channel menu options. When I click on it, it just does not load and freezes my Wii to a black screen while unsyncing my Wii Remote. It's not the signal problem that some people get on higher end TVs, it's a complete system problem with the VC ROM or something.

- When I went to go erase Zelda OOT and redownload, deleting the VC game took so long (more than 25 minutes, confirming a system problem) that I had to turn off my Wii manually for it to erase, at the cost of my Channel Settings Menu (Not main system menu) freezing if I don't redownload the title. I know for sure doing that didn't corrupt the ROM, as there was a problem beforehand. I've tried redownloading it several times and using different saves, my Zelda OOT VC Game just doesn't work. Keep in mind I got this from the Wii Shop Channel the whole time, and when I redownloaded it, I'm not sure if it took up extra space at one point, but the redownload goes by in less than 10 seconds and the system memory stays at the same amount of blocks, as if it never really deleted.

3. Just in case this is needed, is there ANY way to extract locked saves like SSBB/Mario Kart Wii without using Twilight Hack w/Save Extractor/Installer? I heard you can use GeckoOS to remove the locks on those saves but if so, could someone tell me how?

Information: I have Homebrew Channel installed, and only a few things installed, but I will not mention them here to respect the rules. If you need further information on installed files on my Wii: message me at snide64@gmail.com, AIM: ayojoe13, and MSN/Live: sum41mcr8@aim.com.

If you've been helpful and patient enough to read all that I thank you, and I ask of what I should do:

Should I back up my saves, photos, and channels on my Wii and Format it? Would this get rid installed files on my Wii, and/or mess up and harm it?

Since the blocks/internal file size of the Zelda OOT VC game stays on my Wii when I delete it (showing it probably doesn't really delete), should I use the AnyTitle deleter on it? Would that be bad in this situation and would that guarantee my redownload rights on the shop channel being removed?

My friend said my Wii flash memory may be going bad and I should send it into Nintendo. I'm just afraid they'll fine me for finding homebrew and some installed stuff on there. I really don't know what do to or how to fix this, so could some of you guys give me some advice? Other than all of that, my Wii works fine.

Can someone please consistently respond and help me?
Re: WiiConnect24/ Zelda OOT VC Corruption and Save Extraction?
May 20, 2009 10:57PM
Sounds like a flash problem to me, also. Sadly, I don't know enough to help you here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2009 11:00PM by WikiFSX.
May 20, 2009 11:25PM
Anyone else that could give me suggestions on what to do?
May 20, 2009 11:25PM
If the consensus is a bad NAND chip, then just back it up for now to be safe. Hopefully you'll be able to get your stuff back somehow through Nintendo.
May 21, 2009 12:10AM
Couldn't I try to use AnyTitle Deleter to truly remove Zelda OOT off my Wii since it's corrupted? But would I lose my redownload rights towards it? Or would that be risky since the file doesn't delete normally itself?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2009 12:11AM by ayojoe13.
May 21, 2009 11:00PM
Could someone plz help?
May 22, 2009 01:18AM
ayojoe13
Couldn't I try to use AnyTitle Deleter to truly remove Zelda OOT off my Wii since it's corrupted? But would I lose my redownload rights towards it? Or would that be risky since the file doesn't delete normally itself?
You would not be able to redownload it if you used AnyTitle Deleter. I'm not sure about the risk involved though...
And it may be your system menu that's corrupted and not only that game (Well, I really don't know...)
May 22, 2009 01:35AM
Well now my Wii's bricked. I deleted it the usual force way again, and try to redownload it on Virtual Console straight to an SD Card and it bricked by freezing. Should I send it to Nintendo or buy a SaveMii chip? It just has a black screen when you start it up.
May 22, 2009 02:56AM
Well SaveMii would only help if you're on 3.2 or have a disc with a higher update than your system menu. I guess you should send it to Nintendo, but I don't know what they would do about homebrew (or if they can find it or not).
May 22, 2009 01:54PM
Has there been any history of Nintendo overcharging if they find homebrew on your Wii?
May 22, 2009 02:14PM
ayojoe13
Has there been any history of Nintendo overcharging if they find homebrew on your Wii?

Not in the US. Only in Europe.
May 22, 2009 04:06PM
WikiFSX
ayojoe13

Not in the US. Only in Europe.

Did any solid proof come up for the Europe thing?
May 22, 2009 06:45PM
See reference here: [hackmii.com]

Is this absolute...maybe not, check the comments below it.
May 22, 2009 11:49PM
Yeah I heard it was Germany only. If my Wii was solid black screen without anything else upon start up, can they find anything at all. The NOA rep (whom I didn't confess my Homebrew acts to) said the blackscreen is broken beyond repair, and has to be replaced. Does he know what he's talking about or is he just dumb and it's possible to fix a black screen'd Wii?
May 23, 2009 12:59AM
ayojoe13
Yeah I heard it was Germany only. If my Wii was solid black screen without anything else upon start up, can they find anything at all. The NOA rep (whom I didn't confess my Homebrew acts to) said the blackscreen is broken beyond repair, and has to be replaced. Does he know what he's talking about or is he just dumb and it's possible to fix a black screen'd Wii?

Outside of my very limited expertise, but if you can't do ANYTHING with it at all, you're probably to a hardware issue, which would lead me to believe it's beyond an end-user's abilities to diagnose and repair. If you wanted to get ballsy and start hunting around online for parts stores, you might be able to find something IF you know what's already wrong, but then you should ask yourself, "Is this really worth the effort or should I just see if I can get a new one from Nintendo since it was acting up beforehand?" Overall it could very well come down to a cost vs benefit issue.
May 23, 2009 01:09AM
Kage52124
ayojoe13

Outside of my very limited expertise, but if you can't do ANYTHING with it at all, you're probably to a hardware issue, which would lead me to believe it's beyond an end-user's abilities to diagnose and repair. If you wanted to get ballsy and start hunting around online for parts stores, you might be able to find something IF you know what's already wrong, but then you should ask yourself, "Is this really worth the effort or should I just see if I can get a new one from Nintendo since it was acting up beforehand?" Overall it could very well come down to a cost vs benefit issue.

Very intelligent piece of advice there. I am going to send it to Nintendo, if they do object to anything I'll refuse to pay them unless it's their standard 75-100 dollar repair fee. I'm not sure if they're going to charge me or not for a replacement.

My question now is: is the Homebrew Channel worth getting again when I get a new Wii since I'll most likely be on 4.0. I used it a lot for GeckoOS and never really took advantage of other things it could do (other apps). Has installation of most things been patched for 4.0 since some things were blocked?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2009 01:10AM by ayojoe13.
May 23, 2009 03:51AM
Well so long as you don't want to load a channel with hooks (since that's the only thing GeckoOS can't do with a 4.0 Wii), it could very well still be worth it.

I mean c'mon, My Little Ball is one of the most addicting games EVER!! You have all sorts of options for what to play with homebrew, not just GeckoOS :-D.
May 23, 2009 04:15PM
Kage52124
See reference here: [hackmii.com]

Is this absolute...maybe not, check the comments below it.

That is of course not absolute.
The Hackmii post does not even calim to be absolute.

Also did any new reports come up?
May 23, 2009 05:47PM
I just hope they don't find anything on my Wii. The lady said it would be 75 bucks plus 10 for shipping. I'm going to hate having to find saves for my games again. I want GeckoOS to restore my stuff in Animal Crossing and SSBB/MKWii. Restoring all my saves will be a pain.

Am I in good luck that my Wii loads to a complete black screen? I really am afraid of bein caught.
May 23, 2009 08:54PM
ayojoe13
Am I in good luck that my Wii loads to a complete black screen? I really am afraid of bein caught.
Well, I'm assuming they're going to turn on your Wii at least once after they fix it. But then again, this is Nintendo :P
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login