Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

problem playing new games with homebrew

Posted by billsfan444 
problem playing new games with homebrew
June 02, 2009 03:01AM
Hello everyone,
I just went out and rented the new Wii Punch-out game and was very excited to play it. However, when I was about to load the game, a message came up on my Wii telling me I had to update something before I could play the game. It also stated that if I allow the update to happen, the update may or may not delete any unauthorized stuff I put on my Wii... which obviously I have.
My question is, if you let this update run, will it remove my homebrew and other Apps like that? If so, is there a certain way around this.
Re: problem playing new games with homebrew
June 02, 2009 03:08AM
This has been brought up so many times. All you need to do is download Gecko OS, and then launch your game from there. This app can also be used to boot import games and apply codes. Just read about it on its page. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2009 03:09AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
June 02, 2009 03:20AM
awesome! i already have gecko downloaded, and I kind of figured that may work but I never tried it. Thanks for the quick response, mods, feel free to lock or delete this thread or whatever. :)
June 02, 2009 03:24AM
Alternatively, if you're on 4.0, the update is harmless.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2009 03:29AM by Arikado.
June 02, 2009 11:09PM
Not to mention that no update has ever done anything to installed homebrew.
June 10, 2009 01:41AM
Gents, a few related questions from a n00b here.

I'm running System Menu 3.2U with Homebrew Channel installed (via Twilight Hack). Any risk of the system update on Punch-Out!! removing Homebrew or bricking my Wii? Safe to update in your opinions?

Thanks in advance.
June 10, 2009 03:53AM
I'd just not update, use GeckoOS to get around the update requirement.
June 10, 2009 05:13AM
Actually when I put in Punch-Out!!, it doesn't prompt me to update the system like it does on other Wiis (I'm guessing I may have configured a setting somewhere using some HBC app to disable system update prompts), but when I try to run the game, the Wii hangs with a black screen.

Attempting to run it with Gecko OS (v1.9) results in the following prompt: "The game requires IOS 53. Install IOS530640v4113.wad?". Is it safe to proceed with this IOS update via Gecko OS?

Thanks again.
June 10, 2009 05:17AM
That's a very specific question but I'm pretty sure that means that your Wii doesn't have IOS 53 at all, so installing one IOS shouldn't be a problem. Better to install just this one IOS than going through the Disk Channel and forcing a system-wide update.

Anyone else care to verify this? I'm pretty sure this is part of the point of having GeckoOS to begin with.
June 10, 2009 05:18PM
Kage52124
That's a very specific question but I'm pretty sure that means that your Wii doesn't have IOS 53 at all, so installing one IOS shouldn't be a problem. Better to install just this one IOS than going through the Disk Channel and forcing a system-wide update.

Anyone else care to verify this? I'm pretty sure this is part of the point of having GeckoOS to begin with.
Agreed. Interestingly though, I didn't know Gecko OS could install it until now... (I also dont think Punch-Out is new enough to require it, but I guess it is)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2009 05:18PM by Arikado.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login