Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is that okay?

Posted by Sam6226 
Is that okay?
June 28, 2009 06:21PM
So i finally got a SD card reader and i have installed Bannerbomb and the HackMii installer...

[i182.photobucket.com]

Am i doing it right?

I converted files from elf to dol using Rename...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2009 06:34PM by Sam6226.
Re: Is that okay?
June 28, 2009 06:34PM
well you need the private folder from bannerbomb as well, but and delete boot.dol, as I believe boot.elf is the HackMii installer.
June 28, 2009 06:38PM
Okay,so i started over using new private and HackMii folders:

[i182.photobucket.com]

the elf file for HackMii is installer.elf.

EDIT:I have taken HackMii's installer.elf and renamed it boot.elf and i have put it in the root.
The private folder is intact.

P.S:After i install HackMii,can i remove Bannerbomb from my root?(Do i still need it?)

EDIT 2:What is Chain Loader? I looked at Gecko OS's intructions and it says Load boot.elf from Chain Loader or something like that...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2009 07:10PM by Sam6226.
June 28, 2009 07:11PM
OK that looks OK now, provided you added the boot.elf as you said. And btw, you dont install HackMii, you use HackMii installer to install the Homebrew Channel. And optionally BootMii (brick protection) and DVDx (allows homebrew apps to use DVDs, for example this lets you play DVD movies in MPlayer CE and other apps.). But anyway, once you have installed HBC (Homebrew Channel), you can indeed delete bannerbomb, in fact you'll have to if you ever want to move channels to and from your SD card, or use the SD Menu on 4.0. And when you run HackMii installer, I'd advise you to install BootMii as boot2 if possible, and also install DVDx.

EDIT: Chain Loader means Twilight Hack I think, but you can also just load Gecko OS through HBC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2009 07:16PM by SifJar.
June 28, 2009 07:19PM
Thanks a lot!

But how do i install BootMii as boot2?

P.S:After the install,can i delete HackMii from my SD card too?

EDIT:I don't understand Gecko OS's intructions,it says to insert a Wii games and then press reset?
Didin't you are supposed to select the boot game option?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2009 07:25PM by Sam6226.
June 28, 2009 07:28PM
You just select to install it in HackMii installer, although if you have a new Wii, it won't be possible I'm afraid. Adn yes the HackMii Installer can be deleted once you've finished installing HBC and if you want, DVDx and BootMii.

As for Gecko OS, I haven't actually used it myself, I don't have any import games so don't need to use it. I'll look around and see if I can help you.

EDIT: I think you just use D-Pad and A button to select Launch Disc and it should work. Or if you're on 3.2, you can use the rebooter to launch direct from Disc Channel. Just go to reboot options and enable region free, then press B to go back to main menu, and B again to reboot region free. Although you may as well just boot from Gecko OS, but other reboot options are more useful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2009 07:37PM by SifJar.
June 28, 2009 07:31PM
Thanks!

AS for my Wii,don't worry about it:it's serial number is LU30,so i suppose it's old :)
June 28, 2009 07:38PM
Then you should be sweet. See above about Gecko OS. And btw, once you install BootMii take a NAND dump with it. This means if you ever brick (which you shouldn't if you stay away from warez and piracy), you can recover relatively easily.
June 28, 2009 07:52PM
Thanks a lot!

I just installed HBC,DVDx and BootMii as boot2 :)

When i tried to install boot 2 it failed(It didin't detect my SD card)but on the second try it worked!

But i forgot to make a NAND backup...

EDIT:Okay,now my root looks like this:

[i182.photobucket.com]

Can i delete it all or should i keep these?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2009 07:56PM by Sam6226.
June 28, 2009 07:56PM
Sam6226
Erm, you make a NAND Backup AFTER you install Bootmii.
June 28, 2009 07:57PM
Arikado
Sam6226

How do i do it?

I made an EDIT on my last post BTW

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2009 07:57PM by Sam6226.
June 28, 2009 08:01PM
Sam6226
Arikado
Sam6226

How do i do it?

I made an EDIT on my last post BTW
If you installed bootmii as boot2 (which you claim to have done so), when you turn on your Wii, you will see a gray menu. Use the Power/Reset buttons to navigate to the restore center (image on the right with the gears), and then to the backup option (image with an arrow pointing TO the SD Card).
June 28, 2009 08:06PM
You can delete the private folder and boot.elf. Keep the bootmii folder for now. To make a NAND backup, turn off your Wii, then turn it on again. It should boot into BootMii. Your Wiimote will not work in BootMii. You can navigate using the Wii's front buttons or a GC controller. Press reset to scroll and power to select (i think, may be other way round). Scroll to last icon and select. Then select first icon. Follow instructions to take NAND dump.

Once it's done, you have two options: 1) Keep BootMii folder on SD Card and boot to BootMii every time (select first icon for system mene, second for HBC or set it to autoboot one of them) or 2) Rename BootMii folder to make Wii boot like normal again.

If you go for the later, if you ever brick, just stick your SD Card in your computer and rename the folder back to BootMii, then put back in Wii and start to access BootMii and restore NAND Dump. BTW, if you download stuff from Wii Shop, you may want to make a new backup after each new download, or else you'll lose any downloads between the backup and restore, and you'll have to pay for them again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2009 08:06PM by SifJar.
June 28, 2009 08:07PM
Ok,i will try this right away!

Thanks guys!

EDIT:Meh,my SD card is too small(512MB)for the backup(600MB)...

Maybe if i delete some channels,games and saves...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2009 08:14PM by Sam6226.
June 28, 2009 08:23PM
Whoops.

Houston,we have a problem!

In BootMii,i chose to return to the system menu and when i turn on my console,it always turns on with the system menu!

EDIT:Forget it,it works now.

I installed Gecko OS and everything works perfect! :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2009 08:40PM by Sam6226.
June 28, 2009 11:03PM
So everything is up and running now? Good to know.
June 29, 2009 01:20AM
Yeah,but my SD is too small for the backup...
June 29, 2009 05:33AM
Chain Loader is the predecessor to twilight hack.
June 29, 2009 05:17PM
no chain loader IS twilight hack (in a way). basically the chain loader is what twilight hack, (and maybe bannerbomb, not really sure) runs. It is the thing that runs the executable file. There is no predecessor to Twilight Hack, it was the first hack for the Wii. (not counting the poc lego star wars shown by bushing at that hacking conference but never released.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login