Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do I watch movies on my Wii from external HD

Posted by jcj57 
How do I watch movies on my Wii from external HD
June 30, 2009 03:10AM
I'm a newbie, I know that you can watch movies on a playstation and an xbox from an external HD. I've read you need to download some programs to an SD card then you can do the same thing with your Wii, at present I am using my laptop as media player... very messy....
So can someone please explain in basic english what programs I need to download and in what order to put them on the SD card etc. Your replies will be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Re: How do I watch movies on my Wii from external HD
June 30, 2009 03:21AM
I believe you can run movies/media from and external hard drive using MPlayerCE and DVDX.

To install DVDX on your wii, just run the hackmii installer using your preferred method (Twilight Hack, bannerbomb), and select the install DVDX option. After that is done, go to this link and download MPlayerCE V0.62.rar to your desktop. When its finished downloading, unzip the file, and open the MPlayer CE folder that appears on your desktop. Inside that folder there should be another folder called "apps". Inside that is another folder called "mplayer_ce". Drag that folder to the apps folder on the root of your SD card, and launch the app through the homebrew channel. From there, I believe you can access movies/media from your storage device. If you need more help, or don't understand, just ask!! :D
June 30, 2009 03:23AM
You don't need DVDx to read a hard drive, but you might need the USB 2.0 cIOS.
June 30, 2009 03:29AM
Thanks for that, but, "preferred method" what do you mean by that.... where do I find the hackmii installer? Is this installer in the Twilight Hack & Bannerbomb? And where are these and which one is better? Understand most of the rest you wrote except for the Homebrew Channel, does that just appear once the other stuff is loaded? God I sound blonde!
Thanks.
June 30, 2009 03:29AM
MattMan
You don't need DVDx to read a hard drive, but you might need the USB 2.0 cIOS.

???
June 30, 2009 03:31AM
I thought you already had the homebrew channel installed.......do you?
June 30, 2009 03:32AM
WaxyPumpkin72
I thought you already had the homebrew channel installed.......do you?

Starting from scratch.....
June 30, 2009 03:34AM
Lol, okay. If you're starting from scratch read up on this page. Ask if you need help.
June 30, 2009 03:34AM
'The Homebrew Channel is a self-updating homebrew application loader by Team Twiizers which allows users to load homebrew applications without having to run the Twilight Hack every time. Once installed, users can access the channel from the Wii Menu just like any other Wii channel. It can launch homebrew applications from an SD or SDHC card or via TCP/USB Gecko using Wiiload. You can install the Homebrew Channel as part of the HackMii Installer using the Bannerbomb exploit as suggested on the official website. '

This just sounds double dutch...
June 30, 2009 03:36AM
Doing this from work, going to put on usb stick and take home and load to my laptop and load onto sd card..... So I download the Bannerbomb thingy then follow the rest of your instructions, right?
June 30, 2009 03:37AM
jcj57
'The Homebrew Channel is a self-updating homebrew application loader by Team Twiizers which allows users to load homebrew applications without having to run the Twilight Hack every time. Once installed, users can access the channel from the Wii Menu just like any other Wii channel. It can launch homebrew applications from an SD or SDHC card or via TCP/USB Gecko using Wiiload. You can install the Homebrew Channel as part of the HackMii Installer using the Bannerbomb exploit as suggested on the official website. '

This just sounds double dutch...

What is your source for that text? Thats not from the link i gave you...
June 30, 2009 03:38AM
jcj57
Doing this from work, going to put on usb stick and take home and load to my laptop and load onto sd card..... So I download the Bannerbomb thingy then follow the rest of your instructions, right?

Get bannerbomb installed. If you need help, ask me. Okay? :)

Edit: By the way, try not to double post, please. I know i just did, but it was because of yours. Thanks! :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2009 03:51AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
June 30, 2009 03:54AM
Thanks Waxypumpkin72, the text was from the wiibrew homepage I found before you saw your link to the other page, am downloading the bits to take home, fingers crossed. I am not sure what version my wii is - do I need the USB 2.0 cIOS.
June 30, 2009 04:02AM
You can find out what version your wii is by going to the wii menu and going to the wii icon (bottom left hand corner of the screen). After clicking on that, go to settings, and look in the upper left corner.

You will need the USB 2.0 cIOS to watch media from your USB storage device. But don't worry about that until you have the homebrew channel installed. That is your main goal right now. :)
June 30, 2009 04:09AM
OK will attempt this tonight and get back to you tomorrow hopefully with a :) face.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards
JJ
June 30, 2009 12:09PM
okay got the wiibrew up but doesn't find usb wii is version 3.3e where do I put the usb2 cios file, ??? into the mplayer folder?? on the sd card
June 30, 2009 01:19PM
you need to run the usb2 cIOS installer. btw, can you run other apps from HBC, or do you need told how to do that?
June 30, 2009 03:45PM
Did he already install DVDX?
June 30, 2009 05:09PM
I dunno, it was mentioned earlier, but I think someone said he wouldn't need it? I assume this is incorrect and he does in fact need it?
June 30, 2009 05:16PM
As far as I know, he doesn't need DVDx unless he wants his Wii to read DVDs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login