Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do I watch movies on my Wii from external HD

Posted by jcj57 
Re: How do I watch movies on my Wii from external HD
June 30, 2009 05:36PM
I think I read somewhere it's also needed for USB devices, despite the name.
June 30, 2009 06:43PM
All right, I read the Mplayer CE page and you do need to install DVDx as IOS202 for Mplayer to detect it, sorry for the confusion.

Technically, the USB 2.0 cIOS should be able to run on its own, but Mplayer won't detect it unless DVDx is also installed as IOS202.
June 30, 2009 10:58PM
I loaded the bannerbomb, hackmii, and ran the dvdx, loaded the mplayer ce, and also uploaded another app (strobe light) and that works. When plug in external hd it doesn't find it, page loads om mplayer and we can scroll through, fils, usb, dvd, we also tried to play a dvd it doesn't play, sounds like it tries to.
June 30, 2009 11:01PM
PS. If the cios is to run on its own, how do i install it, do i copy it wholely to the SD card ??????
June 30, 2009 11:02PM
Okay, so you put a video file on your device, you loaded Mplayer CE, went to USB device, and it didn't find the file?
June 30, 2009 11:06PM
jcj57
PS. If the cios is to run on its own, how do i install it, do i copy it wholely to the SD card ??????

to get the cIOS Installer to install, you need to make a folder in your apps folder called "cIOS Installer", and put the cios_installer.dol inside that. After its in the folder that you made for it, rename it to "boot.dol", and it should come up on the homebrew channel.
June 30, 2009 11:32PM
MattMan
As far as I know, he doesn't need DVDx unless he wants his Wii to read DVDs.
You're correct. I misunderstood the situation.
June 30, 2009 11:42PM
thats done, but wants now to connect to the internet after choosing wiibrew version and default
June 30, 2009 11:46PM
wii doesnt have internet connection
June 30, 2009 11:54PM
Do you know how to configure your internet settings in the wii settings menu?
July 01, 2009 12:06AM
i don't think it's possible without internet connection. or at least not legally.
July 01, 2009 01:25AM
Dont know much about the wii at all, I have cable internet with a wireless router for my laptop, will the wii connect wirelessly?
July 01, 2009 01:38AM
Yes, it can connect wirelessly.
July 01, 2009 01:42AM
OK will try that when I get home from work tonight, also which version of the IOS am I suppose to use?? ? wwibrew then the default one? or should I use other...
July 01, 2009 01:48AM
Use this link to learn how to connect to wifi.
July 01, 2009 01:58AM
Thanks you guys have been a great help - this is a wonderful forum.

Julie
July 01, 2009 02:03AM
Just watched the tutorial - looks pretty simple - so for that USB 2 thingy do I just use the default wiibrew ones?
July 01, 2009 12:05PM
HELP - okay loaded the IOS thingy, I can play dvds on the wii now but still cannot connect to external HD - what do i do now?
July 01, 2009 01:35PM
I've read somewhere that the usb cios won't be recognize if DVDx isn't installed on it (on this cios). So, they say that we need to use the old installer (the one with the advanced intallation mode).

Is it right?
July 01, 2009 02:04PM
It tells you what to do here:

http://code.google.com/p/mplayer-ce/wiki/USB20

It seems you must indeed uninstall DVDx, then reinstall using the old installer in advanced mode, and selecting IOS 202, to install on cIOS USB 2.0.
And if you have System Menu 3.4 or higher, apparently there is no advanced mode in DVDx installer, so you can't use USB 2.0 devices, but I'm not sure if that is still true. Does HackMii installer have advanced mode?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2009 02:04PM by SifJar.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login