Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

question about homebrew

Posted by Dogs1985 
question about homebrew
July 10, 2009 08:50AM
i'm new in "mod wii". question is will homebrew modify official firmware? if i had using homebrew, can i still upgrade with official firmware? and if my wii is not using any mod chip, firmware 4.0u and don't have original zelda, can i using this homebrew?

i scared homebrew will destroy my wii system.
Re: question about homebrew
July 10, 2009 08:56AM
maybe if you are scared of homebrew,
you should invest more time in knowledge and preparation in it's uses and applications, and then you wouldn't be so frightened.
July 10, 2009 09:06AM
i already read many article, but never say any about destroy or modify firmware. and i saw some of article say can use wii to play their video similar like mplayer. then i interest in homebrew.
July 10, 2009 02:04PM
there is no harm in homebrew. official updates have never even removed homebrew, let alone brick wiis due to homebrew. but rest assured, if an update isnt safe, WiiBrew will tell you. And homebrew is indeed very useful. You can use MPlayer CE to play videos and other media, as you say, and with DVDx and MPlayer CE, you can even play DVDs. And you dont need a modchip or twilight princess on 4.0. In fact, they'd be completely useless on 4.0 for installing homebrew. Niether of them can be used to install homebrew above 3.4. I dont think modchips can be used above 3.3. You need to use bannerbomb, an exploit in the system menu which requires no game. You can find more info at WiiBrew.org
July 10, 2009 06:17PM
i put all the files in sd and boot sd, it show like this.
[www.wiibrew.org]

three also in green color.
so homebrew i need to install.
and what is dvdx, do i need it? and also hackmii.

and if i want to remove homebrew, is that easily? is that back to original? is homebrew similar with wiiware that i download and display in menu screen, won't touch wii firmware? if i'm mistake take an official firmware upgrade, do the firmware will destroy and damage my system (last time i saw an article say that new nintendo firmware destroy wii with modchip)? do i need to uncheck auto update like in windows os? do i still can play my original game discs?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2009 06:20PM by Dogs1985.
July 10, 2009 06:32PM
Dogs1985
three also in green color.
so homebrew i need to install.
and what is dvdx, do i need it? and also hackmii.

DVDx makes it so you can run DVDs on your wii, along with the MPlayer CE application. You should also install bootmii as boot2, if you can.
July 10, 2009 07:00PM
Dogs1985

and if i want to remove homebrew, is that easily? is that back to original? is homebrew similar with wiiware that i download and display in menu screen, won't touch wii firmware? if i'm mistake take an official firmware upgrade, do the firmware will destroy and damage my system (last time i saw an article say that new nintendo firmware destroy wii with modchip)? do i need to uncheck auto update like in windows os? do i still can play my original game discs?

You can remove homebrew with hackmii installer, but it will leave traces on your wii which cant be removed.
Homebrew will appear as a Channel yes, and only some homebrew will touch your firmware, but you dont need to worry about them, as you're on 4.0, so they wont work any way. just using homebrew for games and simple apps is fine and wont touch your firmware. just look out for ones which have the dangerous banner on wiibrew.org.

As I said before, updates are perfectly safe, and updates wont even remove homebrew, let alone brick your wii. the article you read is talking absoulute crap. and nintendo cant auto-update you. you must go to wii settings and hit update if you want to update. and you must still play your original discs. we dont support "backups" here.
July 11, 2009 05:06AM
and i read some article say hackmii can install in boot2 or ios.
ios is a kernel? ios version can be replace with official ios?
and what is boot2?
is that hackmii is required to install?

some article tell that wii got lot of ios, game is using one of the ios. if ios not matach with the game needed ios, game won't start. is homebrew won't modify those ios? and if the game disc is contain higher version ios, it will patch new ios in wii. is that won't have any problem? and how about system menu? if official came out version 6.5, is that homebrew and wii still run safe?
July 11, 2009 08:42AM
as it's name suggests, Boot2 is in the boot process. when you turn on your wii, Boot2 is ran. When Bootmii is installed to here there is almost NO chance that your Wii will be wrecked (bricked). When installed as IOS, Bootmii must first be launched from the homebrew channel, making it almost useless to fix "bricks"

Many different "versions" of IOS exist on the Wii. they remain there so that if the WIi is updated older games will still work perfectly. With Bootmii as IOS Bootmii just calls itself another IOS.

You should be glad you can install Bootmii as Boot2. Not everyone can. It is required to install the Homebrew channel, Required to install DVDx if you want to play DVD's, reccommended to install Bootmii as Boot2, unessecary to install Bootmii as IOS.
July 14, 2009 09:58PM
How can you tell if you are installing BootMii as Boot2 or an IOS?
July 14, 2009 10:03PM
You choose which one you want to install it as.
July 15, 2009 03:28AM
SifJar

As I said before, updates are perfectly safe, and updates wont even remove homebrew, let alone brick your wii. the article you read is talking absoulute crap. and nintendo cant auto-update you. you must go to wii settings and hit update if you want to update. and you must still play your original discs. we dont support "backups" here.

homebrew.org suggest you leave don't leave wii connect 24 on, is that a precaution against an auto-update or something else?
July 15, 2009 04:05AM
I would suggest it, because WiiCOnnect24 in Standby heats the Wii, because the GPU stays active, and it is assumed that it can damage the Wii's GPU.

Also it wastes power.
July 16, 2009 05:53AM
eh if you're a hippie just unpug it. i'm paranoid so i unplug it anyways. my clock ain't right but who cares???
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login