Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can you switch SD CARDS?

Posted by naveedy 
Can you switch SD CARDS?
August 03, 2009 12:48AM
Ok, if I hack my wii with my 256mb sd card and install this homebrew channel and some emulators, and then I use a different SD card 16gb thats coming in the mail. can I switch Sd cards or no?

Will the homebrew channels still be there when i start my wii? Where is it saved to? I am afraid to start hacking my wii and then I am stuck with a puny little 256mb card. And I dont want to wait either...

EDIT: Oh and also, if I hack the wii, do I need to update to 4.0? I saw on a youtube video someone said that but i see nothing about needing to update on the wiki.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2009 01:04AM by naveedy.
Re: Can you switch SD CARDS?
August 03, 2009 01:26AM
The homebrew channel is installed on the Wii.
You can swap SD-Cards as often as you want. Just do not do it,. while an application is running and accessing the Card.
You can freely split applications and Wii data across multiple SD-Cards.
August 03, 2009 01:44AM
Oh thank you very much for the detailed answer! And what about updating. Do i need to update my wii to 4.0 first?
August 03, 2009 01:46AM
It honestly doesn't matter.
August 03, 2009 02:44AM
If you want to use SDHC cards (like your 16GB one) in the System-menu for savegames and the SD menu, then you will have to upgrade to 4.0 or beyond.
Use WiiSCU to do so.
August 03, 2009 05:00AM
OMG! Thank you, i would have never known thank yooou.
August 03, 2009 05:00AM
Should I just upgrade first then?
August 03, 2009 11:52AM
WiiSCU can't upgrade. It doesn't really matter. You only need to update for SDHC in System Menu (i.e. Data Management), and for SD Menu. HBC has SDHC support on any System Menu. If you are on 3.4 or 3.3v2, you should upgrade. If you're on 3.3v1 or below 3.2, go to 3.2 with AnyRegion Changer, its the best System Menu to be on. If you're on 3.2, I'd advise staying there and not upgrading. To find out if your 3.3 is v1 or v2, find the old DVDx installers and try the one for 3.3. If it works, you're on 3.3v1. If it fails, you're on v2, and should upgrade.

It does not matter if you upgrade before or after installing HBC, it'll stay through upgrades. I'd say probably install now if you happen to have twilight princess, as twilight hack is more stable, but if you dont have it, you can use bannerbomb on any firmware. Just upgrade through Wii Settings, it's safe. Sorry if I've confused you ;)
August 03, 2009 10:34PM
SifJar
WiiSCU can't upgrade. It doesn't really matter.

If you're on 3.2, I'd advise staying there and not upgrading.

What else does WiiSCU do, except upgrading.
Even if he is on 3.2 he might go to 4.0 or 4.1 and keep trucha bugs intact. So he wouldn't loose anything.
August 03, 2009 11:49PM
WiiSCU just upgrades IOS and Channels. It doesn't upgrade the System Menu. And going to 4.0/4.1 from 3.2 and keeping trucha bug is actually not a bad idea. Install Tona's cIOS, upgrade, use dop-IOS to install trucha versions of IOS.
August 04, 2009 03:13AM
My bad. I thought it could be used to upgrade the system menu as well.
August 04, 2009 11:02AM
Nope. Only way to do that with homebrew is WADs and a wad installer, or a fail "updater" I wont name. And really, the former offers little benefit over doing it through the System Menu.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login