Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So I recently installed HBC... now what?

Posted by elstado 
So I recently installed HBC... now what?
August 04, 2009 04:48PM
Hi all, again.

So my last thread was moved to the graveyard because I mistakenly broke forum rules. (Sorry!:)

Anyway, I recently installed Home Brew Channel and DVDx onto my Wii (FW: 3.4e, SN: LAH11) the other day. I used the bannerbomb exploit and the BootMii package to install HBC and DVDx.

Was playing around with HBC and managed to install HB Browser, and using that I downloaded and installed a few misc games and apps from the list.

So I have desires to do things with the Wii that are against this forums rules, that is fine. I will seek info elsewhere for that stuff.

But what I was wondering was what can I now do with HBC and the Wii? I've heard so much about HBC but I am having issues finding out exactly what is so great about it, what can I do with it that is so revolutionary? Or is it just so people with pre-4.x firmware could recognise SDHC card, play regular DVD disks and play on emulators via HBC?

So give me some apps/suggestions of cool things I can do with my recently brewed system that complies with forum rules? What am I missing out on that has spawned so many forums and so many people in on the scene? Legal stuff, of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2009 04:49PM by elstado.
Re: So I recently installed HBC... now what?
August 04, 2009 04:54PM
Do you even know what an emulator is? Yeah... I hear those are pretty "revolutionary" -- Especially the PS1 emulator WiiSX

Edit: BTW, the emulators work perfectly on 4.0 or greater system menu's.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2009 05:43PM by Arikado.
August 04, 2009 05:34PM
elstado
Or is it just so people with pre-4.x firmware could recognise SDHC card, play regular DVD disks and play on emulators via HBC?
I guess for most people that propably is it.

elstado
So give me some apps/suggestions of cool things I can do with my recently brewed system that complies with forum rules? What am I missing out on that has spawned so many forums and so many people in on the scene? Legal stuff, of course.
Look at Wiibrew.org under Homebrew applications.
Look around in the forum.
August 04, 2009 06:57PM
Free, legal games and apps, made by hobbyist coders. That's the reason I'm in the "scene". The whole idea is great - people freely giving up their time to make games and apps others can enjoy. No competition or rivalry. All sharing each others work. Of course it doesn't always work like that, some abuse open source work for their own glory (*cough*Waninkoko*cough*), and there can be arguments and drama, but overall, its a good thing.
August 04, 2009 07:59PM
SifJar
some abuse open source work for their own glory (*cough*Waninkoko*cough*)

In all fairness, Waninkok couldn't do all that stuff, if he wouldn't be talented.
August 04, 2009 11:07PM
Yes, but it is mainly taking a load of open source stuff, sticking it together and taking all the glory. Most "homebrew" users probably know nothing about bushing or the rest of team twiizers. I'm not saying I could do what he has done, but he seems to take more glory than he deserves if you ask me.
August 04, 2009 11:10PM
Well, how can you stop people from praising you? He does thank Team Twiizers and the makers of each open source program that he uses.
August 04, 2009 11:18PM
OK, I'm sorry. Didnt know you where all such avid supporters of Waninkoko...
August 05, 2009 12:26AM
I am not a supporter of him, but I wish we would stop blaming him.

He is, at worst, part of a problem. I believe the people who overpraise him and use "his" tools to pirate stuff are much more to blame than him.
August 05, 2009 02:06AM
That was also the goal of my statement; I am not a supporter of Waninkoko or piracy, but even his applications that could be used for legal and useful purposes are seemingly automatically dismissed as "fail". Just because he uses others' work in his applications doesn't mean that he is stealing credit from them (he does mention them in his descriptions). WiiSCU, Dop-IOS, Banana Patcher, and other useful applications use open source homebrew as well and no one seems to reject them. I don't agree with the intent of many of Waninkoko's applications, but people are attacking him on unfair ground. They criticize him as a crappy programmer, stealing credit, and they blame him for every little brick that someone with a cIOS installed has.

In fact, he is working on a quite revolutionary NAND emulator right now, that doesn't sound like "a thin wrapper around others' work" to me. It would allow the ultimate brick protection, because nothing would ever be installed to the NAND. Unfortunately, this remarkable tool will probably open even more doors for piracy.

I believe that it's fine to hate Waninkoko for supporting piracy, but he doesn't deserve to be critcized as being a bad programmer or never creating anything original.
August 05, 2009 05:06AM
And where has this thread gone? Discussing the merits of a certain programmer?

Let's get back on topic please people.

Arikado
Do you even know what an emulator is? Yeah... I hear those are pretty "revolutionary" -- Especially the PS1 emulator WiiSX

Yeah I have a few on my PC, a N64 one and a SNES one. Pretty good to get some of my old games going again, though nothing beats playing them on a genuine system with an original controller.

Even then, we aren't allowed to link or discuss ROMs here right? So that makes emulators a no-go subject.

Correct me if I am wrong.

I know that, I meant the SDHC support aspect in regards to firmware numbers.

daniel_c_w

Ah-hah, well, to be honest that's a bit boring. I was expecting a bit more, the way people rave about HBC.

Yeah, did that, wasn't really impressed. Lots of the apps are pretty trivial from what I saw.

SifJar
Free, legal games and apps, made by hobbyist coders. That's the reason I'm in the "scene". The whole idea is great - people freely giving up their time to make games and apps others can enjoy. No competition or rivalry. All sharing each others work. Of course it doesn't always work like that, some abuse open source work for their own glory (*cough*Waninkoko*cough*), and there can be arguments and drama, but overall, its a good thing.

Cool. Well, despite being thoroughly under whelmed by HBC, I'll stick around to see what you kids can brew up. :)

So what games and apps have you made SifJar? Could I have a link to them so I can try them out?

Let me get this straight, using apps/games through HBC is basically brick proof isn't it? I don't need to fear of gettin errors or anything if I just install apps and run them via HBC, as it is a sandbox/isolated environment?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2009 05:11AM by elstado.
August 05, 2009 05:08AM
MattMan
In fact, he is working on a quite revolutionary NAND emulator right now, that doesn't sound like "a thin wrapper around others' work" to me. It would allow the ultimate brick protection, because nothing would ever be installed to the NAND. Unfortunately, this remarkable tool will probably open even more doors for piracy.

I am actually really looking forward to this coming out of the woodwork. My biggest fear atm is bricking my Wii and not being able to use BootMii as it is a newer model and only supports IOS installs. Ultimate brick protection would be awesome.
August 05, 2009 10:51AM
elstado
Cool. Well, despite being thoroughly under whelmed by HBC, I'll stick around to see what you kids can brew up. :)

So what games and apps have you made SifJar? Could I have a link to them so I can try them out?

Let me get this straight, using apps/games through HBC is basically brick proof isn't it? I don't need to fear of gettin errors or anything if I just install apps and run them via HBC, as it is a sandbox/isolated environment?

I haven't made any homebrew. I am currently trying to learn to program, and then maybe I'll make something. Which I guess males my slagging of Waninkoko even worse.

But running games/apps from HBC isn't COMPLETELY brick safe. If you stick to safe games and apps, you should be fine. For example, if you get homebrew browser and get your homebrew through it, there'll be nothing that can brick you in there. However, if you are getting homebrew from WiiBrew, make sure there isn't a banner saying "This can brick your Wii" or something like that.
August 05, 2009 04:19PM
elstado
Arikado

Yeah I have a few on my PC, a N64 one and a SNES one. Pretty good to get some of my old games going again, though nothing beats playing them on a genuine system with an original controller.
Well, a sideways wiimote is essentially a perfect NES controller and the classic controller is the perfect SNES and PS1 controller.

elstado
Even then, we aren't allowed to link or discuss ROMs here right? So that makes emulators a no-go subject.
You can't link to ROMs, but you can discuss them (Like - "Where do I put them on my SD Card?" for example) Emulators are fine to discuss (note they're all over WiiBrew)

elstado
Arikado

I know that, I meant the SDHC support aspect in regards to firmware numbers.
SDHC support may or may not be present in some applications. It depends what libfat they were compiled under. For example, WiiDOOM still lacks SDHC support.

elstado
daniel_c_w

Ah-hah, well, to be honest that's a bit boring. I was expecting a bit more, the way people rave about HBC.

Yeah, did that, wasn't really impressed. Lots of the apps are pretty trivial from what I saw.
Unless you're trying to start a flame war, troll elsewhere kthnx. And uh, oh yeah : [www.youtube.com] <-- Watch that
August 05, 2009 05:08PM
SifJar
I haven't made any homebrew. I am currently trying to learn to program, and then maybe I'll make something. Which I guess males my slagging of Waninkoko even worse.

Ah-hah, so I see.

But running games/apps from HBC isn't COMPLETELY brick safe. If you stick to safe games and apps, you should be fine. For example, if you get homebrew browser and get your homebrew through it, there'll be nothing that can brick you in there. However, if you are getting homebrew from WiiBrew, make sure there isn't a banner saying "This can brick your Wii" or something like that.

Noted, cheers. :)

Arikado
You can't link to ROMs, but you can discuss them (Like - "Where do I put them on my SD Card?" for example) Emulators are fine to discuss (note they're all over WiiBrew)

But let me get this straight, the ROMs are illegal and not allowed to be discussed/linked? And an emulator without the ROMs is what? Are there even legal ROM/files that will work with emulators?

SDHC support may or may not be present in some applications. It depends what libfat they were compiled under. For example, WiiDOOM still lacks SDHC support.

Noted.

Unless you're trying to start a flame war, troll elsewhere kthnx. And uh, oh yeah : [www.youtube.com] <-- Watch that

Nope, not wanting/trying to start silly things like "flame wars".. just being honest and sharing my opinion.

Loading that vid now. Stupid slow ADSL.

Watched it. Most of the games were pretty lame to be totally honest.

The Wii Tyrian2000 looked awesome though. I spent aaaaages trying to get that working on my PC via an emulator and it never fully worked (no sound). Wii earth looks pretty cool too. How does that work, like the Google earth app? You download the core program and then need an internet connection to view the maps?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2009 05:13PM by elstado.
August 05, 2009 06:09PM
elstado
Arikado

But let me get this straight, the ROMs are illegal and not allowed to be discussed/linked? And an emulator without the ROMs is what? Are there even legal ROM/files that will work with emulators?
Whether or not ROMs are illegal depends mainly on whether or not you own the original game as well as specific software laws in your country. While we will not link to sites that distribute ROMs, it only takes 5 seconds of googling to find one. Also, there can be some wholly original legal ROMs (like homebrew NES Games developed with a homebrew SDK).

Also, WiiEarth works exactly as you described, but there are maps sourced from a few more places than google (you can choose which map source you would like when you use the app)

WiiEarth: [www.wiibrew.org]

Also, BTW, I don't know if you looked into this or not, but there applications that turn your Wii into a full-fledged media player and a radio if that interests you.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2009 06:13PM by Arikado.
August 05, 2009 06:24PM
Arikado
Whether or not ROMs are illegal depends mainly on whether or not you own the original game as well as specific software laws in your country. While we will not link to sites that distribute ROMs, it only takes 5 seconds of googling to find one. Also, there can be some wholly original legal ROMs (like homebrew NES Games developed with a homebrew SDK).

I am in Australia, apparently the copy right laws allow games to be backed up and also for ROMs to be played so long as you own a physical/original copy of the media/game. Don't quote me on this though, as I am just recalling reading up on it from a while ago. Anyway, no more discussion on this, I dont want this thread to be graveyarded too. ;)

Google will be my friend.

Also, WiiEarth works exactly as you described, but there are maps sourced from a few more places than google (you can choose which map source you would like when you use the app)

Cool, thanks for the clarification.

Also, BTW, I don't know if you looked into this or not, but there applications that turn your Wii into a full-fledged media player and a radio if that interests you.

Might be, which one's do you recommend? I see on the apps list on the HomeBrew wiki there are a few.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2009 06:25PM by elstado.
August 05, 2009 06:30PM
MPlayer CE is probably the best all round media player.
August 05, 2009 08:11PM
elstado
Might be, which one's do you recommend? I see on the apps list on the HomeBrew wiki there are a few.
For playing (almost) any type of media file or dvd's (provided you have DVDX installed) check out MPlayerCE : [www.wiibrew.org] For radio, WiiRadio : [www.wiibrew.org]
August 06, 2009 05:22AM
Arikado
elstado
For playing (almost) any type of media file or dvd's (provided you have DVDX installed) check out MPlayerCE : [www.wiibrew.org] For radio, WiiRadio : [www.wiibrew.org]

Cool.

I'll install those two this weekend.

Yeah I have DVDx installed, did it when I installed HBC using the BootMii installer package.

What's the go with PS1 emulators and N64 emulators? I'd love to get some of my old games going again as my consoles are all dead. Which ones are the best?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login