Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Updating from 3.2U to 4.1U?

Posted by Mattroid 
Updating from 3.2U to 4.1U?
August 05, 2009 04:27AM
Now, I know a lot of you are going to think that's crazy, but hear me out.

EDIT: Tell you what, let me shorten this a little more to the point...if I am on 3.2 and am considering updating to 4.1, what am I truly losing the ability to do (specifics, if you can provide them)? All my girlfriend cares about is the ability to transfer her Animal Crossing save back and forth (savegame extractor/installer+ACtoolkit), and all I really care about is the ability to play my imported games via Gecko - both of which still seem to be working in my tests on 4.1 on another Wii.

I just see so many people say stuff like "If you're on 3.2, then stay there because you have SO MANY more options" and "If your on 3.3 or higher, you might as well update to 4.x if you want to."

Any advice or links would be greatly appreciated before I take the plunge into 4.1.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2009 04:52AM by Mattroid.
Re: Updating from 3.2U to 4.1U?
August 05, 2009 05:17AM
I am also a beginner, but from what I have gathered over the past few days is what you said:

If you're on 3.2, then stay there because you have SO MANY more options" and "If your on 3.3 or higher, you might as well update to 4.x if you want to.

I would just leave it as-is if I were you.

Do you know if have an older model Wii that supports a boot2 installation of BootMii?
August 05, 2009 06:58AM
Yes. All of that is already done. I'm not "new" to wii homebrew, I just haven't really kept up on every little thing or know all the technicalities of it all.

EDIT: I did just find this thread which is fairly close to my own concerns. I've already got all of what I want installed, including bootmii, so I think I might just update since the SD menu would be a huge benefit for me (I've been down to a few hundred blocks of memory forever now). I keep seeing conflicting reports and opinions across all sides, which makes sense, but from the testing I've done and what I've read, I think I'll still have access to what I need in 4.x.

But if anyone has anything else to add or reasons I should reconsider, feel free to let me know - I probably won't be updating right away. What I'd really like to see is a list someplace of apps that no longer function at all or partially (I know the more common ones, but it'd still be nice to see a list that is kept updated). If anyone knows of anything like that around, please share (I must have missed it).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2009 07:24AM by Mattroid.
August 05, 2009 07:05PM
Anything that requires an IOS that accepts fakesigning will no longer function. But Gecko OS and Save Manager both still work, so there is no reason for you not to upgrade. Just make a NAND dump with BootMii and if you later decide that you want to use fakesigning applications, you can simply restore the NAND dump.
August 06, 2009 06:26AM
That was my thought, but it's just comforting to heard straight from another source - thanks.

Aren't most apps that make use of fakesigning for "that which cannot be discussed"? That - I don't care about. I guess my real question is if there's anything useful (and which can be discussed) that I might miss out on? The only thing I've read in a few places is gecko os with hooks not working on 4.x, but even this I'm not sure about. Not only that, but I'm not even totally sure what the point of that would be, nor do I think I'd worry about it unless it be possible to actually get Naruto SGNT EX1 to work somehow with hooks, but I haven't found anything on that anywhere, either. Weird how 2 and 3 work fine, but whatever :P

Thanks for the info :)
August 06, 2009 12:54PM
Many warez stuff do use trucha bug, but there are also a good few non-warez apps that use it - AnyTitle Deleter, AnyRegion Changer, preloader, Gecko OS (hooks only), menuloader, banana patcher, old DVDx and HBC installers (pre-HackMii Installer), StarFall, the list goes on.
August 07, 2009 08:49PM
If you want to retain most functionality, I suggest installing cIOS249 before updating. I know everyone here hates it because they think it's only good for piracy, but it's actually quite useful in other ways.

With cIOS249, you can run Dop-IOS after you update to 4.1, which allows you to trucha-patch all of the newest IOS versions as you download them from Nintendo's Update Servers.

Once you've done that, you can continue to use useful apps that require trucha but don't have anything to do with piracy.

Whatever you do, DON'T install cIOScorp. That stuff is WAY too invasive.
August 07, 2009 08:55PM
kobalobasileus
If you want to retain most functionality, I suggest installing cIOS249 before updating. I know everyone here hates it because they think it's only good for piracy, but it's actually quite useful in other ways.
Everyone hates it because it installs tons of fail modules for warez and rewrites how SD/SDHC is used. It's seriously junk.

Also, you do know that you can trucha patch your IOSs without it, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2009 10:30PM by Arikado.
August 07, 2009 09:43PM
@arikado: you appear to be missing a square bracket :-)
August 07, 2009 09:44PM
Use tona's PatchMii Installer, it is supported by Wiibrew and doesn't have all the modules.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2009 09:46PM by MattMan.
August 07, 2009 10:39PM
I know you can trucha patch SOME IOSes without cIOS using tona's app, but not ALL. Dop-IOS only works with cIOS. Unless there's another tool similar to Dop that doesn't use cIOS that I'm unfamiliar with...

And why does it matter that cIOS249 has tons of fail modules and rewritten SD code in it? It doesn't modify other IOSes, which are modular/independent of each other by nature. There's even a Wiibrew supported version of cIOS that wasn't made by the guy who makes the current revisions.
August 09, 2009 02:37AM
kobalobasileous
There's even a Wiibrew supported version of cIOS that wasn't made by the guy who makes the current revisions.
Yes, that would be tona's cIOS, installed via tona's cIOS PatchMii Installer. That is what I recommended as it doesn't install any modules and will allow Dop-IOS to function.

What program made by tona that is capable of patching IOSes are you referring to?
August 09, 2009 09:45PM
I was referring to his two shop updaters. The first one only updates and patches IOS50/51. The second one only does IOS60/61.
August 10, 2009 03:53PM
Do I need to use bannerbomb as I've already got HBC? What is tona's cIOS PatchMii Installer? Do I need it? Or am I able to simply just install the hackmii _installer_beta2? Will that do all I need? Should I update to 4.1 first before doing anything else?
Any help from you guys will be greatly appreciated.
Here's 2 pages I've recently been to & my head is spinning with it all.
Please help me.
inAcrysis

(irrelevant information removed - Arikado)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2009 11:12PM by Arikado.
August 10, 2009 08:50PM
You really shouldn't be doing several of those things and following those guides, because they are illegal, dangerous, and you don't seem to have any idea what you are doing. You don't need those things if you don't know what they do.

All you need to do is go to your Wii's settings and select "Update".
August 11, 2009 12:05AM
Thanks Mattman for replying. like you said & I admited. I don't know what to do or what I'm doing.
That's why I was asking. After updating to 4.1 will HBC work as it does now? Do I need to install bootmii?
What do I need to do? Like I said I don't know. That's why I came on here - to find out!
Thanks for ANY help.
August 11, 2009 12:08AM
I just replied & asked a few questions & got refused for spam! There was nothing unusual. I need some help.
Thats what this site is for - yes?
August 11, 2009 03:18AM
inAcrysis
I just replied & asked a few questions & got refused for spam!
Dont type so fast or copy/paste and then immediately post.
August 11, 2009 05:30AM
The Homebrew Channel should continue to work after the 4.1 update. You don't need to install BootMii, but it would be a good idea to do so and make a NAND backup before and after you update.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2009 05:33AM by MattMan.
August 13, 2009 04:13PM
Arikado - ok will do.
MattMan - So I install Bootmii 1st then backup NAND then do wifi Nintendo update to 4.1 then backup NAND again?
That sound about right - in that order?
The ability to backup NAND is in Bootmii I presume - Sorry for being such a noob - just want to be sure.
Just thought of something else - I've downloaded Bootmii, do I just add it to the root of the SD I'm already using in my Wii? Or do I have ONLY Bootmii on the SD?
Do you access the install by entering Homebrew or some other way? I've also seen mentions of IOS50 & 60. Is IOS50 the Shop channel? What is IOS60 & how do I get it? Is it part of the update? Or do I need to get it myself? Sorry for so many noob questions
Cheers guys

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2009 05:56PM by inAcrysis.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login