Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can you turn apps into wii channels

Posted by Macle 
Can you turn apps into wii channels
August 26, 2009 09:48PM
i saw on youtube that n64 emulaters as a channel on home menu.how can you do that
Re: Can you turn apps into wii channels
August 26, 2009 09:50PM
You cant legally do it so dont bother trying. Most "channels" that you find on the internet (except HBC) are illegally made and will give you a banner brick
August 26, 2009 09:56PM
TBH, most wont give you a bannerbrick, but all expcept HBC are illegal, and unsupported here.
August 26, 2009 10:00PM
I know i was just trying to make a point which was: STAY AWAY FROM WADS!!
August 26, 2009 10:03PM
I agree wholeheartedly.
August 27, 2009 08:21AM
I would just like to make the point, that (no offense, dude) TopGun96 has been taking a bit of an extremist view as to WADs. I mean, yeah, they're illegal, but at the same time doesn't saying things like "they'll definitely brick your wii" spread misinformation, I mean, yeah, there is a high likelihood of bricking if you're using a custom-made WAD, there's no doubt about it, and if you don't use the right WAD for your region and whatnot, installing pirated apps can brick your Wii, the risk is there, no doubt, and they should be avoided. I'm not advocating the use of WADs, legal or illegal, I'm just saying that I think taking the extremist view gives the wrong impression. Just saying "The installation of WADs and other illegal software is unsupported here" gets the point across, but just flat-out saying they WILL brick your wii, or they WILL cause problems is almost like the misinformation GBAfail spreads about having to downgrade to 3.2 and whatnot.. Sorry if this doesn't make any sense, I'm REALLY tired right now, and I have an early day tomorrow.
August 27, 2009 12:45PM
WADder is apparently legal but its not for me to say
[forum.wiibrew.org]
August 27, 2009 10:43PM
cactusjack901
I would just like to make the point, that (no offense, dude) TopGun96 has been taking a bit of an extremist view as to WADs. I mean, yeah, they're illegal, but at the same time doesn't saying things like "they'll definitely brick your wii" spread misinformation, I mean, yeah, there is a high likelihood of bricking if you're using a custom-made WAD, there's no doubt about it, and if you don't use the right WAD for your region and whatnot, installing pirated apps can brick your Wii, the risk is there, no doubt, and they should be avoided. I'm not advocating the use of WADs, legal or illegal, I'm just saying that I think taking the extremist view gives the wrong impression. Just saying "The installation of WADs and other illegal software is unsupported here" gets the point across, but just flat-out saying they WILL brick your wii, or they WILL cause problems is almost like the misinformation GBAfail spreads about having to downgrade to 3.2 and whatnot.. Sorry if this doesn't make any sense, I'm REALLY tired right now, and I have an early day tomorrow.

I agree I went a little overboard but still... The installation of WADs and other illegal software is unsupported here.

(better?)

and none taken.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2009 10:44PM by TopGun96.
August 28, 2009 05:26AM
TopGun96
I agree I went a little overboard but still... The installation of WADs and other illegal software is unsupported here.

(better?)

and none taken.

Yeah, actually, that is better =p

It really just boils down to the fact that it's not supported here, but if you do do it, fine, just don't come here for help if you run into issues
September 06, 2009 07:01AM
You can do this legally with ChannelMaker 3.
September 06, 2009 01:27PM
What's ChannelMaker?
September 08, 2009 03:48PM
icefire
You can do this legally with ChannelMaker 3.

I cant get ChannelMaker3 on my Mac to work.. :(

MertenNor
September 08, 2009 07:19PM
Is ChannelMaker3 another name for WADder?
September 08, 2009 10:28PM
I think so.... and MertenNor: I think it has to ba an Intel Mac
September 08, 2009 10:53PM
Yeah, I found it on WiiBrew, it is WADder under another name, because "WADder" isn't allowed on WiiBrew, because its the name of a site which endorses copyright enfringment. But marcan said it was OK to post it under a different name.
September 10, 2009 04:45PM
Just load 'em from HBC. It's more stable, safe and it doesn't waste the very scarce amount of Wii system memory.
September 10, 2009 05:50PM
Shouldn't it be possible to make a small WAD that reads a config file to launch anything under SD:/apps? I'm starting to use Mplayer_CE more and more and it would be nice if it were it's own channel. There seem to be WADs out there that install a specific version (e.g. 0.3 or 0.7) but it would be better if I could just upgrade the SD:/apps/mplayer_ce/boot.dol as needed without having to change a WAD.

Are all WADs illegal because they need to contain a bit of Nintendo code to work?
September 10, 2009 06:08PM
Or you could probably use Preloader or something. WADs are on the most part, illegal, because they contain Nintendo's code.
September 10, 2009 07:02PM
vladhed
Shouldn't it be possible to make a small WAD that reads a config file to launch anything under SD:/apps? I'm starting to use Mplayer_CE more and more and it would be nice if it were it's own channel. There seem to be WADs out there that install a specific version (e.g. 0.3 or 0.7) but it would be better if I could just upgrade the SD:/apps/mplayer_ce/boot.dol as needed without having to change a WAD.

Are all WADs illegal because they need to contain a bit of Nintendo code to work?

Yes that's possible, its called a "forwarder" channel, and it will load a .dol off the SD card, so you can update without installing a new channel.
And no, not all WADs are illegal. A WAD contains 3 main files - a NAND loader, a .dol and a banner. The NAND loader, there are plenty of homebrew ones - marcan has one, as do comex and waninkoko. The dol - just a homebrew dol, completely legal. And the banner, if made with benzin, is totally legal. There are a few other files (i think), but none are too important, and they're easy to make.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login