Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My 3.4U Wii, Beatles Rockband and Shop Channel....

Posted by dewdude 
My 3.4U Wii, Beatles Rockband and Shop Channel....
October 07, 2009 12:33AM
Hey guys.

I haven't been too active on WiiBrew...or even powred my Wii up in a couple of months...but I was shocked to find the 4.2 update being very aggressive against Homebrew....friends of mine with business ties to ninty have said they tossed my comments around....i doubt they've been read, but they were along the lines of "first you alienate a generation of gamers you created with your lack of making mature games and then GameCube, now you're pushing them away with your strict anti-homebrew policy...you should remember we're a generation of gamers who are now spawning a new generation of gamers...a generation that will know nintendo as the same anti-christ as microsoft".....that's neither here or there...I just wanted to share that.

So, let me get up to speed on what i'm having issues figuring out...there's soooo much crap I missed or never understood when I first got my Wii...and the plethora of information is either misorganized, incomplete, or just plain doesn't quite answer what I've wondered. I've poured over the forums for the last few evenings and I'm still scratching my head and blowing smoke at the computer.

I got my Wii, which I believe was 3.1 when I bought it used, and foolishly (ignorance is bliss) upgraded to 4.3U before I even knew what the twilight hack was...needless to say, afterwards I vowed to never run an update through nintendo again...and haven't. I tried downgrading to 3.3 or something once to see if I could get trucha back...I wound up bricking the Wii and restored the NAND backup with BootMii I made before I started all this (guys, that saved my butt..i'm employed again, expect a nice donation soon).

So, basically, I'm pretty sure I'm dealing with a stock 3.4U that's got no raped IOS's and only has HBC, DVDx and BootMii on it (although I haven't run the latest installers yet)....it's possible I did a cIOS thing on it, but I'm 99% sure I backed up BEFORE i started doing these questionable software mods. So, no trucha or anything like that.

I recently bought Beatles Rockband becuase, well, I'm working and a HUGE beatles fanatic. Naturally, I want the DLC that's going to be available with it...which means I'll need WiiShop...but I do not want to update to 4.2...there's no reason to. I've read that WiiSCU will update without installing new SystemMenu, but there are also two other installers (WiiShop IOS61 Installer, WiiShop IOS60-61 and MiiInstaller). WiiSCU seems to be based on PatchMii, which I know won't work with 3.4U becuase of the dummy IOS254. The WiiShop IOS61 Installer talks about if you play with IOS60, you could possibly brick your Wii. The other installer says very little...but one of them (not sure) says WiiShop looks for more than new shop channel to work.

I'm confused on this. The only reason I want the Shop Channel is so I can add WiiPoints and get the Rockband DLC, that's it. Has there been a solid way of doing this that will work on 3.4? My previous expierence trying to install WADS and such is that they hardcore fail, and I'm guessing becuase of lack of trucha bug. I'd love to spend hours and hours pouring over the information...but I don't know where exactly to begin to understand it and I've got a very demanding work schedule that already prohibits my free-time to maybe 4 or 5 hours of Wii a week. If someone could let me know about the current status of the ShopChannel (I don't use weather, or news...or even have WiiConnect24 turned on and I don't plan on it either), i'd greatly appreciate it. The other issue is, if SDHC support wasn't added till 4.0, since I plan on using SDHC cards for the DLC in Beatles:RB, do I need to update to 4.0 just for that purpose?

The other thing i'm wondering is just WTF did the Beatles Rockband update on the disc do exactly? At the time I was so excited to run it (the game, not the update, paying retail for software will do that to ya) I figured I was possibly kissing any homebrew my already trucha-lacking broken hacking ability away and just let it run....the update bar was up for two seconds and that was it. My system menu is still 3.4U, and AFAIK, nothing changed. I've searched for information as to just what that update did, but I've found nothing. Is it possible it attempted a 4.0 update but somehow I "broke" something so that couldn't happen? I find that unlikely as it would still be bugging me for an update, but it hasn't.

Thanks for any information any of you can throw at me.
Re: My 3.4U Wii, Beatles Rockband and Shop Channel....
October 07, 2009 06:31AM
WiiSCU works fine with 3.4U....
October 07, 2009 07:50AM
Greetings dewdude; everyone;

I too want to update the Shop Channel on my 3.4U Wii. However, I'm unable to get WiiSCU or any of the other installers to work with my 3.4U Wii. I'm kicked back to HBC before I can read the error message but it looks like an HTTP error when trying to download the updated IOS.

(Not trying to hijack the thread. Just raising my hand as another 3.4U user.)
October 07, 2009 07:55AM
..Maybe try this?
October 07, 2009 10:12PM
WaxyPumpkin72: Tried that one as well. No luck.

dewdude: Since HBC works with SDHC cards in any System Menu; I'd guess Beatles Rockband might work as well. That's probably what the on disc update did; installed something (IOS?) that would allow Beatles Rockband to use SDHC cards. ( I'm just guessing though as I'm very new to this and going on what I've read in the forums, etc. ) Still need to update the Shop Channel for the DLC but I've been having trouble with that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login